Radiator guard suggestions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gazza

Reaction score
Hi to all

I see my radiator is starting to take a few hits here and there and think i should put a guard on. Just looking on the net and i see there are a heap on the market so i am after some advise on what you guys are using and recommending.

Regards

Gazza

Some of us have been around for a long time and bought the stainless steel guard from BikeJohnny (who is now out of business).

There are good radiator guards made by Meissner but they're pricey....still, cheaper than a new radiator.

In the US, I've bought things from Wild Hair Accessories but you must have another place closer to you. Someone in Oz must have them and the shipping would be cheaper.

Some of us have been around for a long time and bought the stainless steel guard from BikeJohnny (who is now out of business).
There are good radiator guards made by Meissner but they're pricey....still, cheaper than a new radiator.

In the US, I've bought things from Wild Hair Accessories but you must have another place closer to you. Someone in Oz must have them and the shipping would be cheaper.
I was asking myself the same question- did a search... and the post had Warchild suggesting to stay with

another forum member who was offering them. Then I saw the post was from 2005. Thanks for askiing, I

hope someone can point you (us) in the right direction.

Man I have to say as I have spent myself out, each addition is getting harder to justifie.

Man pricey is right, I need to find another solution at those prices. I also don't want polished, but wonder if the black plastic coated holds up and what shows when it chips?

I cant see those prices no matter what.

Gazza

If you don't have one yet, get a fender extender. For around $25(ish) this piece will extend your front fender about 5 inches lower. it will help keep the stones and debris from being thrown up into the radiator. The tupperware below the radiator will still get pelted, but you will notice fewer nasties in the cooling fins.

Brodie

Someone in Oz must have them and the shipping would be cheaper.

RADGUARD in OZZ do them www.radguard.com.au, so do BEOWULF in UK they also do S/Steel Exhaust cans www.beowulf-performance-products.com.

Hope that is OK

Regards

Surly

:ph34r:

Someone in Oz must have them and the shipping would be cheaper.

RADGUARD in OZZ do them www.radguard.com.au, so do BEOWULF in UK they also do S/Steel Exhaust cans www.beowulf-performance-products.com.

Hope that is OK

Regards

Surly

Can recomend Beowulf; great products and good prices for us in the Land of Oz. I ordered and paid for the cans and they were delivered to my door (country Victoria) within a week! However the RadGuard looks pretty good to. I think the previous comment re fender extender is a better way to go, though.

Rob

I was asking myself the same question- did a search... and the post had Warchild suggesting to stay with

another forum member who was offering them. Then I saw the post was from 2005. Thanks for askiing, I

hope someone can point you (us) in the right direction.
A clever person could makie one out of expanded metal. IIRC, there were a few early owners (Gen I's did not come with radiator guards) who did exactly that and attached them with zip-ties. Much would depend on your abilities and personal taste.

If you don't have one yet, get a fender extender. For around $25(ish) this piece will extend your front fender about 5 inches lower. it will help keep the stones and debris from being thrown up into the radiator. The tupperware below the radiator will still get pelted, but you will notice fewer nasties in the cooling fins.
Brodie
A very good idea to every owner. Help protect the front of your body panels.

RADGUARD in OZZ do them www.radguard.com.au, so do BEOWULF in UK they also do S/Steel Exhaust cans www.beowulf-performance-products.com.Hope that is OK

Regards

Surly

Good job, mate!

I put on both a fender extender & rad guard.

Fender extender keeps most the crap off but other vehicles can also throw up rocks and a holed rad is a major pain in the butt out on the road.

A new rad is $400 and the chance that a dealer will have one in stock is almost zero.

Chris

Cox Racing Group radguard is perhaps on the thin side, but has held up well and so far so good. Fins still in very good shape.

10% discount for Forum members here:

BikeEffects

Cox Racing Group radguard is perhaps on the thin side, but has held up well and so far so good. Fins still in very good shape.<<<snip
Gunny. I also have the Cox Racing guard, fits great no issues, I bought it on ebay.
I need a Fenda Extenda. :dribble:

Both are great semi-cheap farkles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just bought a carbon fiber fender extender off Ebay as well $40.00 shipped
Clicky
From the ebay listing:

This product is made from high quality carbon fibre so the look of your bike will not be let down by any unattractive black plastic.
Good thing. I wouldn't want any "unattractive black plastic" on my FJR! :lol:

Seriously though, it looks like a fine product. :unsure:

Cox Racing Group radguard is perhaps on the thin side, but has held up well and so far so good. Fins still in very good shape.<<<snip
Gunny. I also have the Cox Racing guard, fits great no issues, I bought it on ebay.
I need a Fenda Extenda. :dribble:

Both are great semi-cheap farkles.
Uhm...er...you guys realize the OP is in Australia and that import duties, taxes and shipping might be exhorbitant if he purchases stateside?

Just bought a carbon fiber fender extender off Ebay as well $40.00 shipped
Clicky
From the ebay listing:

This product is made from high quality carbon fibre so the look of your bike will not be let down by any unattractive black plastic.
Good thing. I wouldn't want any "unattractive black plastic" on my FJR! :lol:

Seriously though, it looks like a fine product. :unsure:
Hey that's sarcasm isn't it?

I never even read the "unattractive black plastic" part you pointed out. I just saw a product that will keep dirt and rocks out of my radiator, and thought I would share.

Sorry you disapprove. I might not sleep well tonight... :rolleyes:

Hey that sarcasm isn't it?
I never even read the "unattractive black plastic" part you pointed out. I just saw a product that will keep dirt and rocks out of my radiator, and thought I would share.

Man, you Squids are a sensitive bunch. ;)

Uhm...er...you guys realize the OP is in Australia and that import duties, taxes and shipping might be exhorbitant if he purchases stateside?
Copy that, just throwing it out there for comparison, especially after you look at the price of RadGuard in OZZ. Looks surprisingly like Cox guard...

Ouch guard

The diff would cover a lot of shipping,handling and gumment intervention. Them guys across the big pond should slice off part of the BBQ grill, shape to fit and good to go....

Hey thats sarcasm isn't it?

Man, you Squids are a sensitive bunch. ;)
LOL, so your sarcasm is in fun, but my sarcasm makes me sensitive? ;)

Only the new school squids received the sensitivity training. I jumped ship "pun intended" before it got all kinder/gentler Navy.