radiator guards

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

panayoti

Reaction score
I have seen some bikes with radiator guards. It sounds like a good idea to protect the fins but i wonder if you lose any radiator cooling capacity. Are they necessary ? i have riden some chip seal roads in AR. i ahve found little tar covered stones up in the radiator. I wonder how much a fenda-extenda would help?

this amy end up in the ongoing recurring pointless topic box.

thanks for your input

I have seen some bikes with radiator guards. It sounds like a good idea to protect the fins but i wonder if you lose any radiator cooling capacity. Are they necessary ? i have riden some chip seal roads in AR. i ahve found little tar covered stones up in the radiator. I wonder how much a fenda-extenda would help?
this amy end up in the ongoing recurring pointless topic box.

thanks for your input

panayoti,

Radiator guards are necessary on the 05 and earlier bikes - however, the 06 and later models have a guard as stock equipment. Go take a look at your rad - you'll see it there.

I immediately go out to searching on +radiator +guard and see various discussions including this recent one that answers it pretty conclusively to me. The Fenda Extenda thing might not be as easy to find. I think they help, but don't replace a guard as an personal insurance thing.

I immediately go out to searching on +radiator +guard and see various discussions including this recent one that answers it pretty conclusively to me. The Fenda Extenda thing might not be as easy to find. I think they help, but don't replace a guard as an personal insurance thing.
I puschased mine from California Sport Touring, Inc last year. Here's the part number that worked for my 2004.

(1) 14016 Fenda Extenda for Yamaha FJR1300

Tim

Mulino, OR

Kaitsdad said -

Radiator guards are necessary on the 05 and earlier bikes - however, the 06 and later models have a guard as stock equipment. Go take a look at your rad - you'll see it there.
You have an 06. Problem solved no ??

Or does the 06 guard suck butt.

Last edited by a moderator: