Radiator guards

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone had increased heat problems due to a radiator guard?  They look cool and would do the rock catching job well I'm sure.  I just wonder if blocking the breeze would contribute to more heat bars on the dash......????
You know, its a no-brainer to have one of these.

Nonetheless, I made my guard out of aluminum mesh. It is ~68% open. Does this restrict flow? Surely it does. If I were to do it again, I would use honeycomb shape, which is strong and is ~85% open.

Here is a pic of the pieces cut before assembly. The edges are 1/2" aluminum angle which I flattened and cut 45 degree bevels on:

P5301350.JPG

Here it is painted and installed:

P6091407.JPG

-BD

Last edited by a moderator:
HondaCBX6, a member here, was making a nice Cox like low $ guard. You might wanna contact him (pm) before buying. He does them up nicely too.

I made mine too,,

followed the BrunDog method ,, I used a black rubber coated mesh ,, and some heavy duty auto door edging ,, also black ,, and some zip ties ,,

works well for me ,,

I've been using the BikeJohnny stainless version that I won at the first WFO. Joos was kind enough to provide a few door prizes.

Been totally bullet proof.