Radio mount using forward tank bolts

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Checkswrecks

Reaction score
I got a question about monting to the forward tank bolts rather than buying a Techmount, RAM, or similar, so I thought I'd post what I did here for anybody to copy. I sized it originally for a Garmin Nuvi GPS and Pioneer Inno XM/MP3 on the top velcro surface, with a Gerbing heat control on the bottom. The Nuvi and XM would go into my pocket when I stopped. It culd have been lower but was made just tall enough to see with the tank bag I occasionally use. Since mounting the radio the Gerbing heat controller has been moved elsewhere and half of the Nuvi hangs off the front of this bracket, as discussed in the last photo.

Brktrtside.jpg

The aluminum is .080" that I had from working on airplanes, so you'll have to get your own source. The reason for this thickness is that it's stiff enough to minimize the radio bouncing around, but thin enough for the tight bend radius of the bend near the bolts. The vertical section is not quite straight. It is fairly perpendicular at the bottom bend near bolts, but maybe 3/4" up the vertical is a slight aftward bend to keep it from rubbing the tank, but still keep far from the upper triple clamp.

Just in case it would touch the tank (it is tight) I stuck a piece of fuzzy velcro on the tank to protect the tank paint. I can always take the velcro off later. Note the rounded cut to clear the steering head of the bike.

Brktpad.jpg

The two holes are for the headphone jack and Powerlet jack. The part with the two holes is a simple piece of 1.5" angle aluminum from Home Depot and it's attached with small screws & nuts.

Brktrttupper.jpg

Make it narrow enough to make sure that there is a solid gap between the radio/GPS and the hadlebars at full turn.

Brktaft.jpg

Again, I sized it originally for the Nuvi, Gerbing control, and XM/MP3. It's a bit short for the radio and GPS and you can see how much of the GPS is hanging off the velcro in this photo. While I will soon make an extension for the GPS, I've been surprised that the velcro has held it solidly for a couple of shorter trips. The radio is held by 4 screws but the Nuvi just doesn't have much mass so doesn't need much to hold it in place.

BrktrtwGPS.jpg

Bob

Any chance you have a drawing for this fine piece of workmanship that you could share? Got a Jensen radio coming my way and your mount looks great.

What's the make of the radio and where do you fit the aerial?

tom

Any chance you have a drawing for this fine piece of workmanship that you could share? Got a Jensen radio coming my way and your mount looks great.
I'm traveling for work this week and will try to remember to take some measurements for you and zzzip this weekend, but like I told him, the height was kinda set for my tank bag. You might try simply starting with a piece of cardboard and cut/bend it to fit what you want to do.

Bob

I'm traveling for work this week and will try to remember to take some measurements for you and zzzip this weekend, but like I told him, the height was kinda set for my tank bag. You might try simply starting with a piece of cardboard and cut/bend it to fit what you want to do.

Bob

Thanks. Appreciate whatever you can do.

The bottom bend is the tricky one and before you start cutting exact shapes, make sure a sample of your material can make this bend. It has to be tight enough to be in front of the tanks' flange, but with enough flat aft of the bolt holes that the bolt heads aren't up in the radius of the bend. This means that you probably won't be able to use 1/8-inch thick material, but try it if that's all you have. You also want the material thick and stiff enough that the little platform on top isn't bouncing like a spring when you're done. I used some 0.080" aircraft aluminum that I had on hand and it works well.

The bend upward from the bottom is a closed angle of 80 degrees. It then dog-legs foreward and then up from 5/8" above the flat. This little twistie-deal is to have enouogh flat on the bottom for the bolts, but to clear the forward flange of the tank. Again, pull your two forward tank bolts and make this out of cardboard first. You'll understand real quick what this all means.

The top flat is 3.75" across. Everything below that (the vertical and bottom portions) are 3" across.

The top flat is 4" fore-aft, but that could be more or less for whatever you want to mount.

The vertical is 5" high, but that was so I could see over my particular tank bag.

The bottom flat is 7/8" fore-aft and you need to cut an arc fromt he forward edge to clar the steering head of the bike's frame.

The bend between the top and vertical is 15 degrees, but bend yours to suit.

Bob

The bottom bend is the tricky one and before you start cutting exact shapes, make sure a sample of your material can make this bend. It has to be tight enough to be in front of the tanks' flange, but with enough flat aft of the bolt holes that the bolt heads aren't up in the radius of the bend. This means that you probably won't be able to use 1/8-inch thick material, but try it if that's all you have. You also want the material thick and stiff enough that the little platform on top isn't bouncing like a spring when you're done. I used some 0.080" aircraft aluminum that I had on hand and it works well.
The bend upward from the bottom is a closed angle of 80 degrees. It then dog-legs foreward and then up from 5/8" above the flat. This little twistie-deal is to have enouogh flat on the bottom for the bolts, but to clear the forward flange of the tank. Again, pull your two forward tank bolts and make this out of cardboard first. You'll understand real quick what this all means.

The top flat is 3.75" across. Everything below that (the vertical and bottom portions) are 3" across.

The top flat is 4" fore-aft, but that could be more or less for whatever you want to mount.

The vertical is 5" high, but that was so I could see over my particular tank bag.

The bottom flat is 7/8" fore-aft and you need to cut an arc fromt he forward edge to clar the steering head of the bike's frame.

The bend between the top and vertical is 15 degrees, but bend yours to suit.

Bob
Thanks, again. Good info and will definitely save me some pain and suffering at my own hand.