Radio?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JSimon

Reaction score
How practical is it to add a radio to an FJR? Is it more practical to use an Ipod etc?

Thanks,

John

Lots of people have mounted XM radios on their FJRs. I use a RAM mount from MotorcycleLarry (see here), which is easy to remove when desired, but others have had good luck with the Hoon RoadyHolder, which mounts over one of the reservoirs. Hook up a hard-wired power adaptor to your under-dash power block, and you're good to go. An XM radio makes those 500 mile slogs on the interstates positively bearable.

A lot of riders use iPods, either instead of or in addition to their radios. I have an Amplirider mounted in my tank bag, and can listen to the XM radio, the iPod, and/or the V-1 radar detector, depending on the mood. I use Shure e2c in-ear headphones, which minimize wind noise. When twisties or traffic require that you pay full attention to the ride, it's easy to just turn the audio off.

John,

A lot depends on the location(s) you'll be using a radio. Where I am in Northern Michigan, reception is adequate near stations and drops off rapidly beyond a hill. I gave up and went with satellite radio. It's great reception as long as you can see the sky. We got tired of the same songs on our MP3.

I've talked to GoldWing & BMW riders that had radios. They have the same opinion about reception around here.

The only radio I would be happy with for cross country travel is the "stealth" kind that hot rodders install. A small dial or remote control operates the hidden receiver. I don't remember the URL.

dobias <_<

I use my Chatterbox with my IPod and Cellphone. Chatterbox now has a bluetooth system that eliminates all the wiring between the helmet and your devices, something to look into but I know its a few hundred for it. My friend who has a Gold Wing installed the BT Chatterbox and hooked his XM Radio, Cell, and Ipod. He said he can't ask for a better untethered system. I'm seriously looking to install it on my FJR for the Nov trip.

I use my Chatterbox with my IPod and Cellphone. Chatterbox now has a bluetooth system that eliminates all the wiring between the helmet and your devices, something to look into but I know its a few hundred for it. My friend who has a Gold Wing installed the BT Chatterbox and hooked his XM Radio, Cell, and Ipod. He said he can't ask for a better untethered system. I'm seriously looking to install it on my FJR for the Nov trip.
I've been waiting for the Bluetooth technology to get up to speed and this system looks good. Here's a link of the new Chatterbox Bluetooth: https://www.aerostich.com/product.php?productid=17538

I'm planning on getting a Garmin 376C with builtin XM Radio and the Chatterbox should hook up to that and my cell. Kinda pricey, but that's the route I'm taking. I should be able to get the whole set up with bike mounts for $1500 or so. The Garmin Street Pilot is also getting the XM but I want a unit that can run off batteries as well.

That looks like a dam nice unit there....

Can't wait to get some reviews on it... Ive been holding off as well, so as to not have wires all over the place... :)

I like it clean... :)

Warp :ph34r:

zzkenoman,

Do you know, for sure, if the new Bluetooth Chatterbox is STEREO ?

I can find no reference in their website.

dobias <_<

I can only tell you when I was at the chatterbox office, that the sales rep said stereo. You might want to call aerostich or even chatterboxusa to confirm. I wouldn't think they would make it mono, because the headsets have a left & right speaker.