Radios, Cell/Blue Tooth or Just Forget About It

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCML

Not All Who Wander Are Lost
Reaction score
As NFO and those long rides with fellow FJR owners rapidly approach, I am, once again, toying with the idea of rigging some type of bike to bike communication system through an existing Starcom1 set up. For those of you that have already headed down this path, how has it worked out? For example, do the radios really only have a working range of 2-5 miles as most reviews indicate? Why purchase radios when almost everyone already owns a cell phone (other than being able to communicate in no cell service zones)? Is communicating through a radio less distracting than using a cell patched into the intercom (how many of us have sworn never to talk on a cell phone while riding)? Do you find yourselves ignoring less-than-urgent communications to concentrate on the real task at hand? What other issues should I be paying attention to?

Thanks.

I prefer radios to cell phones for several reasons:

- Not dependent on cell coverage, which is spotty at best on the really good mountain roads

- No use of minutes on cell phone

- No need to dial while riding

- Allows multiple people to communicate at once

Last edited by a moderator:
Riding to Yellowstone last year a dear jumped out in front of our lead rider. He was on the CB immediately saying "deer deer deer deer!!" to alert all of us riding in the group. That's just one example of why radios are better than cell phones for group communication.

I have a Starcom which I purchased primarily to communicate with my lovely but quiet wife who cannot yell well. :rolleyes: I ride 2-up about 99% of the time. Friends at one rally had the Chatterbox, which can come with either FRS or GMRS. I found that those $25 pairs of two-way radios at Wal-Mart will plug into the Starcom with the correct cables and with a push to talk (PTT) button (purchased from your favorite Starcom dealer) wired to my left grip I can communicate with the Chatterbox units both FRS and GMRS. They put me in the middle of the pack so I can relay front to back or back to front as we get strung out distance-wise.

These cheapie units are usually low-end Cobra or some other make of radio. You can take one or both radios they charge overnight no problem. On the bike I throw the unit into my tank bag plugged in to the Starcom and that protects it from the elements. I can still have the phone plugged in, the MP3 plugged in, and there is still room for the future GPS unit.

You can get really high-end $$$ with say a Kenwood or really fancy Cobra with a bit more distance but most of the research I did say those FRS and GMRS radios (without repeaters) only extend a few miles in good conditions, regardless of the advertised distances. They say those radios are mostly line-of-sight so one that says "22 mile range" and one that says "11 mile range" will likely perform about the same.

We were taking the radios on long solo trips with the hopes of being able to talk with others like a CB but with a few hundred combinations of PL's it is usually quiet unless I set the PL off. Years ago I had a Venture Royale with a CB but that was so busy I usually turned it off. If you are on a group ride you have to pre-arrange with others to set the radios to a certain PL and frequency to be able to communicate, otherwise you could be riding next to some folks who are talking to each other but without knowing their frequency and PL settings you would never hear them.

For the price and ease of use I am surprised that these are not in use more, particularly at group events.

Oh and note that using GMRS frequencies require an FCC license so of course I only use the FRS frequencies.

First, I just bought a pair of these to use with my Starcom1.

Cobra LI-7200 GMRS radios

They work far better than any of the Motorola or Kenwood units I've previously owned, although I know there are some newer Midland units that also work well. The battery life on this Cobra unit is unbelievable. Almost half the unit is Li-Poly battery and it truly lasts for 12 hours or more. I did two solid days of riding and talking recently and still had battery life left from one charge. $63 delivered to my door for two units!

Starcom requires CAB-04 for them.

As to your questions about two-way versus cell...

There's no comparison between the functionality and safety of a properly placed Push-To-Talk two-way setup and cell use. The act of dialing while you are in motion is risky, no matter how good a rider you think you are. And I know the voice activated dialing on my Zumo, Motorola-Q, Starcom1 setup is "iffy" at best. Mostly because of problems with the Motorola-Q phone.

Range of two-way is really not an issue. What two-way does for you is allow you to communicate when you are trying to stop for gas, pick a place to eat, missed that last turn, wondering WTF the rider ahead is doing, or letting those behind you know that the car you just passed is turning left. Those situations are typically very close proximity and range is not what's required. The ability to communicate without taking your hands off the controls is what's needed. Two-way does that for you better than any other solution currently available.

If you ride in pairs or groups, you should have two-way. It will change your life. Hell, it may even save your life.

i don't mean to hijack this thread but i need a few answers in regard to comm units.

i have the starcom digital, zumo 550 and need to add a 2 way before NAFO but all my brother has is a chatterbox unit. what do i need to get so i will be able to communicate with him and still be able to use my system?

Good stuff, peeps. MCML & I have been going back and forth on this the past few days. I'm encouraged to find out that the cheaper units work sufficiently and maybe as good as the spendy units.

Thanks for the input and to the OP for starting the thread. :good:

I ride with a lot of Goldwings that have CBs so I installed a J&M Cb works great I also have a Zumo which plugs into the CB I can play MP3s through the J&M and Hear GPS prompts through my headset also.I will be adding the XM radio next year.

i don't mean to hijack this thread but i need a few answers in regard to comm units.i have the starcom digital, zumo 550 and need to add a 2 way before NAFO but all my brother has is a chatterbox unit. what do i need to get so i will be able to communicate with him and still be able to use my system?
I've owned Chatterbox units for more than two years and have substantial experience with their GMRS compatibility.

Most any FRS/GMRS will work with the Chatterbox on the first seven(7) channels. Many GMRS will work on the first eleven(11) channels. I've not had much luck with Chatterbox compatibility after channel-11, but that still gives you plenty of options.

My current radios are Motorola-750 and Cobra LI-7200. Both work fine with the Chatterbox channels 1-7.

i don't mean to hijack this thread but i need a few answers in regard to comm units.i have the starcom digital, zumo 550 and need to add a 2 way before NAFO but all my brother has is a chatterbox unit. what do i need to get so i will be able to communicate with him and still be able to use my system?
I've owned Chatterbox units for more than two years and have substantial experience with their GMRS compatibility.

Most any FRS/GMRS will work with the Chatterbox on the first seven(7) channels. Many GMRS will work on the first eleven(11) channels. I've not had much luck with Chatterbox compatibility after channel-11, but that still gives you plenty of options.

My current radios are Motorola-750 and Cobra LI-7200. Both work fine with the Chatterbox channels 1-7.
sounds good

now where did you get the required cables to hook into your starcom and the ppt button?

yes i'm a needy person who can't do anything on his own :lol:

Riding to Yellowstone last year a dear jumped out in front of our lead rider. He was on the CB immediately saying "deer deer deer deer!!" to alert all of us riding in the group. That's just one example of why radios are better than cell phones for group communication.
COP! COP! COP! COP! works well too. :unsure:

JW

Oh and note that using GMRS frequencies require an FCC license so of course I only use the FRS frequencies
The LI 7200 has 22 channels (7 GMRS/FRS, 7 FRS, 8 GMRS). Too bad most of 'em will never be used!

Oh and note that using GMRS frequencies require an FCC license so of course I only use the FRS frequencies
The LI 7200 has 22 channels (7 GMRS/FRS, 7 FRS, 8 GMRS). Too bad most of 'em will never be used!
1 Adam 12 - See the man, Fourth and Broad. Possible 10-30; complaining of bikers stealing airways. Code 3.

:lol:

COP! COP! COP! COP! works well too. :unsure:

JW
JW, one of the riders in our group has a Goldwing and, as required in the contract you sign when you purchase a Wing, he has about a million gadgets on his bike. One of those gadgets is a Valentine 1 which he has wired into his intercom. When he hears it go off he keys the push to talk on his CB and all of us are alerted to the blap blap blap of the V1. :D

Thanks to all who responded. A decision has been made and we're going with the Cobra LI-7200 radios, the Starcom CAB-004 cable and the Starcom PTT-03 Vox-disabling switch. Now it's just waiting for the UPS driver, reading the manual, doing a quick install and ringing out the system. Should be fun. The 7002's ability to run for a full day or more on a charge and the radio's low cost for the features were the deciding factors.

now where did you get the required cables to hook into your starcom and the ppt button?
Jeff at bikeeffects.com

Thanks to all who responded. A decision has been made and we're going with the Cobra LI-7002 radios, the Starcom CAB-004 cable and the Starcom PTT-03 Vox-disabling switch. Now it's just waiting for the UPS driver, reading the manual, doing a quick install and ringing out the system. Should be fun. The 7002's ability to run for a full day or more on a charge and the radio's low cost for the features were the deciding factors.
Did you purchase the 7000-2 or the 7200-2? Because they are not the same unit and there is no 7002 that I'm aware of.