Rain gear recommendations

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

85fj1100

Reaction score
I am looking for some feed back on rain gear.Who has what brand and model and how well does it work for you?I am 6'4" tall and weigh 315lbs. 56" chest and a 44" waist.I am pretty muscular all over.The reason for the stats is I am wondering about fit in general and what to look for in features.Right now I am looking at tour master elite series II and the defender.I am also looking at nelson rigg ax 1 mkIII and sr 6000stormrider.Any help would be appreciated.

I am looking for some feed back on rain gear.Who has what brand and model and how well does it work for you?I am 6'4" tall and weigh 315lbs. 56" chest and a 44" waist.I am pretty muscular all over.The reason for the stats is I am wondering about fit in general and what to look for in features.Right now I am looking at tour master elite series II and the defender.I am also looking at nelson rigg ax 1 mkIII and sr 6000stormrider.Any help would be appreciated.
Frog Togs 2-3xl may fit you

JW

I have the Tourmaster Sentinel set and I'm very happy with it.

One piece of advice I can offer on the Tourmaster gear. If you can find it locally in a shop, try it on. I don't have a moto shop within 50 miles of home so I did mine mail order. I had to return the pants twice before I got a pair that fit my waist. You're a little taller then me but the measurements are close. I think I wound up with a XXXL pair of pants and the XXL jacket. The pants are a little long on me, but they would probably fit you much better.

FWIW, I've ridden over 200 miles in driving rain with this gear on and didn't get wet. My wife and I just got home last weekend from a 5 day trip around north western California , 3 of which were rain days, and my gear kept me warm and dry. The last day we had some snow flurries mixing in with the rain. I wore the sentinel suit over jeans, T-shirt and summer mesh jacket and stayed comfortable. Riding temps that day were in the low 40's and the only limiting factor was my gloves. In warmer weather I've been able to open the vents in the jacket and ride in rain without feeling like I'm sitting on a sauna.

HTH,

Ray

I used my FroggToggs "RoadToad" for the 1st time and did not get wet...and we rode through rain for almost ten hours! Whatever you decide on, try it on over your riding gear as the padding will add more bulk. They are a good wind breaker too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Frogg Toggs if you rarely need rain gear. Maybe something a little more taylored if you encounter the wet stuff more often.

I'd recommend a real rain suit as opposed to the F. Togg POS. Something that will breathe is preferable. Although, Goretex would be my first choice... The coated nylon suits function great. Don't buy PVC unless you are in a pinch or you intend to become a flying sauna. When you try it on definitely try it on over your gear.

Mr Jeff Ashe likes the bib style pants/raingear that he got. I haven't had any problems w/ regular style. Beyond all else, try it on with gear.

Rain gear is sized to go over other gear, so a XXL rain jacket will fit over XXL jacket. Don't assume you have to go up in size to accomodate your gear.

That said, I've had 2 Tour Master suits and liked one much better. Destroyed a Defender by sliding in gravel with it, replaced with a Sentinel, which is harder to put on, the lining catches EVERYTHING on the way on and off. The Defender also packed tighter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Frogg Toggs, bib-style, definitely work. But I had problems with them not holding up from constant transport and abrasion.

A big problem on the FJR is the riding position and what it does to water/air flow. Rain tends to blow against your mid-section and collect at the waist. That's why I prefer the bib-style rain pants over top of my mesh pants. Up top I just put the liner in my GX Air jacket or wear my winter jacket in colder temps.

GF has no issues with Frogg Toggs in her position as passenger.

Frogg toggs are nice but go for the road toad model. they have reflective stripping that really helps to make yourself seen. They go for around $50 online.

I would suggest that the rain pants have the elastic strap to go under the boot. Otherwise, they may ride up the leg far enough to expose the top of the boot to rain, letting in the wet stuff.

I was thinking about recommending one of these:

link_commercial.jpg

i recommend you get some good riding gear (textile) and leave the rain gear at home. good vents on the main gear will keep you riding in the heat and/or cold. when the rain comes, zip shut the vents without the need to stop and dance the Roadside Rainsuit Boogie.

Rule # 1 for my rain gear is to not cheap out. Especially no plastic.

Rule # 2 is to keep a watch on the boat shops. They have regular sales and really know wind and water!