Rain Jacket, Klim or other

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Lumberg

Merica
Reaction score
I've got great cold weather gear. Great mesh. And while my primary riding jacket is very comfortable and effective, wet or dry, I like to be able to wear just work clothes or mesh in the rain, so I always have a rain shell, top and bottom, on the bike. While frogg toggs horny toadz pants don't last forever, they work great and are easy to don and doff. When I wore out my 5.11 hiviz, a motocentric jacket took rain duty. Even before today, which involved 3 hours in the rain in cool temps, I was considering a better rain shell. I arrived at the klim traverse only too late. Almost no sizes left at (close out) sub $200 pricing (I wear an XL and often use an XXL due to belt mounted gear), I just can't get behind a $400.00 rain shell. I get always wearing a full on waterproof riding jacket, and I own one. I still have a niche for a rain jacket. Enlighten me if you can recommend one.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I lived in the rainy Northwest. My go to jacket for inclement weather was and still is my Frank Thomas Aqua. That thing doesn't let neither wind or rain in. Keeps me both warm and dry. I ordered one size up so that I could layer up. Purchased it back in 2002. Still looks new. But once it gets warm here in AZ. Then I switch back to my Explorer Jacket. People have complained about FT the past few years. Not sure if the quality has diminished over the years. Maybe i just got lucky? But I wouldn't trade that jacket for nothing.

Revzilla still has a XXL traverse available for $179.00 or you could keep your eyes open now that Klim is discontinuing the Overland jacket. Its a step up to an armored jacket but also a step up in price. I just purchased a Overland jacket and pants and can't wait to try them out. I might even like them more than my last generation Latitude coat and pants.

No xxl's once you select a color. Looking at the overland. Thanks for the suggestion. I was in heavy rain for almost 2 hours yesterday (riding jacket in the case, wearing a motocentric rainjacket), and while I never got wet from the rain, by the time I pulled into the garage, I was extremely damp. I had only synthetic/wicking garments on above the waist. As soon as I pulled my motocentric shell off in the cool garage, the dampness was immediately apparent. Goes with the territory, to an extent, regardless of the gear.

I had the old Frogg Togg's Tyvek-style material pants/jacket. They worked great, initially, but the material didn't wear well. Recently got their Highway pants/jacket and its a different material and works much better and should wear better, as well. And not too much more money than the old stuff.

Weird. Those look identical to the Frogg Togg Horny Toadz pants I've used for years. Not sure they just haven't renamed them. ETA- I think I see the Tyvek you refer to- sold as road toad. Haven't tried the jacket yet.

If budget is an issue and Klim is on the outside of that, try the Tourmaster Elite Rain Jacket. I've used it for many years and stay toasty and dry.

41ojszSh4dL.jpg

Good suggestion. I'm just geared toward all season waterproof gear for that purpose, and am okay with spending for quality. For rain shells, I've always gotten away with fairly modest expenditure. So I'm exploring a departure here.