Rain-X Plastic Water Repellent

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But rain x original was for glass and not go good for plastic, they finally getting around to making for plastic.

I use their pre-mix washer fluid in my car and it works well. At speeds above about 30mph water does bead up and flow up the windshield and over the roof. Takes several uses of the wipers + fre-mix to build up whatever is in the stuff on the glass. Works just fine after that. I never had much luck with the apply and buff-in version of the stuff though. Always ended up with streaks on the windshield and it didn't repel water as well. I always had the feeling that it needed more buffing but figured using my Porter Cable orbital buffer with a cotton terry pad should have done the job.

On plastic, I have ways just used car wax. It does the same thing. I've waxed my windows before also. All wax or RainX do is fill in all the little pits and spaces, reducing surface tension.

I use Nikwax Visor Proof spray. Rain-X for glass not good for plastic shields .

Last edited by a moderator:
this also works great...

and it's cheap
The Rain-X is FREE, and that is cheap!
coolsmiley02.gif

I keep a small spray bottle filled with Visor Proof wrapped in a small microfiber cloth on the bike at all times. I use to clean my visor exclusively and never get caught with an untreated visor.

The use of Pledge has intrigued me. A friend has been using it on the windscreen and the plastic fairings. he swears by it. Is there any components in Pledge that may be harmful to the paint? My CalSci windscreen had an insert advising not to use any wax or cleaners containing petroleum components.

Pledge has a lot of the same components as plexus and other cleaners designed to be used on plexiglass and lexan etc.

Been using it all over my fjr1300 for years.

No issues whatsoever. I use it on my face shield too.

On plastic, I have ways just used car wax. It does the same thing. I've waxed my windows before also. ...
... My CalSci windscreen had an insert advising not to use any wax or cleaners containing petroleum components.
I've always heard not to use auto wax on plastics, at least not the combo "cleaner & wax" types Surprised to hear it's working for 'Zilla.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't use "cleaner and wax." I use Zymol, that I don't use on glass. Turtle Wax, McGuires, and Mothers, all work great on glass. For my helmet shields, I have used wax, but I like the spray detailer better.

I don't use "cleaner and wax." I use Zymol, that I don't use on glass. Turtle Wax, McGuires, and Mothers, all work great on glass. For my helmet shields, I have used wax, but I like the spray detailer better.
I too like the McGuires spray detailer for the body of the bike. I have not used it on the windscreen or helmet visors. You state you do not use on glass. What glass in on our FJR's?

I too like the McGuires spray detailer for the body of the bike. I have not used it on the windscreen or helmet visors. You state you do not use on glass. What glass in on our FJR's?
None! :)