Rain-X Plastic Water Repellent

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was just stating, generally. However, the same wax I use on the bike, I'll use on the shield, headlamps, tail lamps, gauge cluster and helmet shield. I do the same when I wax my cars. After I'm done with the paint, I'll do all the windows. I could use RainX, but that means I have to use a different applicator. By using wax, I just continue on with what I have.

See? Easy!

this also works great...
lemonpledge_zpszbaqsx8g.jpg

and it's cheap
Bingo!

Use it on every surface of all my bikes.

So no ill effects from using car wax on the windshield or headlight covers? I haven't applied wax directly, but I always buff them with a wax-loaded towel left over from waxing the paint. Cee Bailey warns against windex or rain-x on their aircraft and bike products. But I could see waxing if it doesn't cause hazing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rain-X (the new one, that is--Rain-X Plastic formula), and waxes too, I suppose, prevent water from sticking to plastic surfaces somehow. Makes me wonder, does/would it help with fogging on the inside of the shield? Recent discussion about the Pinlock system have me thinking about the fairly short life expectancy of the insert, as well as the bit of extra distortion, especially at night, you get from having two layers of plastic in front of your face.

So this is another desperate attempt to find a simple and effective anti-fogging solution. Anybody know?

Yes, I use the RainX for plastics.

Took a trip in April to Seattle. Took the Rain X along. With my windshield wiper turned off, it lasted for less than 30 minutes in the rain. With the wiper turned on, even less. I think it's great if you know you're gonna be riding through on and off showers, but it won't last all day. Rain beads up nicely and the wind blows it off, it just doesn't last long.

Yes, I use the RainX for plastics.Took a trip in April to Seattle. Took the Rain X along. With my windshield wiper turned off, it lasted for less than 30 minutes in the rain. With the wiper turned on, even less. I think it's great if you know you're gonna be riding through on and off showers, but it won't last all day. Rain beads up nicely and the wind blows it off, it just doesn't last long.
Huh?