Ram Aqua Box

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buf2phx

Reaction score
Is anyone using the Ram Aqua Box for their GPS,or other electronic gadgets? I'm looking for some feedback on quality/durability. Any other suggestions for a waterproof mount would be gladly accepted. I'm also looking for a Ram ball mount for the steering nut. The only one I've found so far is from He Who Must Not Be Named. Actually just the ball on a threaded rod would do,I can drill the stem nut that I have.

Mike

Is anyone using the Ram Aqua Box for their GPS,or other electronic gadgets? I'm looking for some feedback on quality/durability. Any other suggestions for a waterproof mount would be gladly accepted. I'm also looking for a Ram ball mount for the steering nut. The only one I've found so far is from He Who Must Not Be Named. Actually just the ball on a threaded rod would do,I can drill the stem nut that I have.
Mike
My answer may not be of help. I bought two aqua boxes, one for GPS and another for an XM radio. I never installed them as they look big and boxy, and never thought twice just packing (and using this trip), some clear heavy-duty plastic "bags" or covers with pull closures on the bottom. Easy, cheap and they fold and store in the tank bag when not needed. Rain threatens you pull them out, slip over the device(s) and pull the bottom closed. One disadvantage is the view of my GPS is a little distorted and if I want to use the touchscreen, I've learned to pull over and use two hands ... doesn't happen often to me, but a consideration.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use one and it's definitely waterproof. It works ok but the light reflection on the flexible screen cover makes it hard to see. My next GPS will be waterproof.

DSCN0185.jpg

The only one I've found so far is from He Who Must Not Be Named.
Mike
I bought one of his balls - it rocks. he does have nice balls...

...ah, by that I mean, the RAM mount ball. The rest of my RAM mount stuff just arrived at the house for mounting up my GPS. For waterproofing, I'm taking the ziploc and velcro closure route. Riding in Washington state, weather will happen, but after careful research, and deciding NOT to spend the $900 on the waterproofed GPS form Magellin, this solution came to the surface. Simple as all get out, cheap to replace the "cover" if it gets worn and easily stowed on the bike for the times when needed.

Next question...

How long before I try to make my own waterproof cover out of something sturdier than a ziploc bag...?

c6c4568d.jpg

I like mine with the Nuvi wide screen. Locks up for short stop protection...Did the baggie thing for a while but it got old..

It is the ram mount kit with the aqua box. Took off the thumb screw on the arm and put on a nyloc nut...I am almost 6-02 so I see over it fine....Could put a shorter arm on there if needed...

Did the baggie thing for a while but it got old..
Sorry to hear that Jeff. Nothing worse than an old bag... :(
:lol:

I used an Aqua box with a Roady XM for awhile:

2442218380086768460S500x500Q85.jpg

It worked OK, but seemed abit large for the item inside.

I also made one myself out of a tupperware sandwich box, (Sorry no photo) I took a piece of clear thick plastic from a "bed in a bag" and made a "flexible membrane" so I could still push the controll buttons , but scrapped the whole thing when I bought my Zumo 550.

The baggie idea does work , and I saw some nice clear waterproof containers at a camera store that might be able to be used. The recent post of using a condom looks to be a good solution too....

KM

I'll stick to ziplock bags and rubber bands :p

I'm a cheap bastage at times, but hay, it really does work well. Only problem is finding the rubber bands in your side case :huh:

The only one I've found so far is from He Who Must Not Be Named.
Mike
I bought one of his balls - it rocks. he does have nice balls...

...ah, by that I mean, the RAM mount ball. The rest of my RAM mount stuff just arrived at the house for mounting up my GPS. For waterproofing, I'm taking the ziploc and velcro closure route. Riding in Washington state, weather will happen, but after careful research, and deciding NOT to spend the $900 on the waterproofed GPS form Magellin, this solution came to the surface. Simple as all get out, cheap to replace the "cover" if it gets worn and easily stowed on the bike for the times when needed.

Next question...

How long before I try to make my own waterproof cover out of something sturdier than a ziploc bag...?
Not to get too personal, but did you get his nut too,or did you use the stock nut? ;)

Mike

I went to town on the poor bugger. Took a nut AND a ball from him!

Heck, I even took a 36mm socket... sorry, no way to spin that one to fit the theme developing here... :(

I agree Silent.We are not cheap just frugal.I just use a tank bag with a clear cover(Givi T440N).My Tom Tom was happy there.More recently I have changed to a smart phone with a data plan ,vox and bluetooth stereo headset.With four gigs of music who needs satellite radio?Sure reduced what I was carrying and having to worry about.