Ran into a couple of FJR riders this weekend

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PauHana

Reaction score
For the first time ran into 3 FJR riders this weekend. After talking with a couple of them must say the bike has moved up the list of next purchase.

One guy was on his second FJR, now on 06. Rides primarily two up with his wife. I spoke with her also about pillon comfort. She had nothing but good things to say. He swapped out stock for corbin seat which he really liked. He commented the power and the ride cannot be beat.

Sounds like what everyone else says on this site.

Second guy had an 04. Again no problems with the bike.

My only problem is can't do the 07 color. I've tried, but no. And the wife say's no, no, hell, no to the red or whatever it is.

In no hurry so will wait for 08's unless find a deal at the end of riding season on an 06

Still also considering a 07 Triumph Sprint. Nice bike since they fixed heat issue and put higher bars on it. Plus really like that triple engine. Also at bit of a Triumph nut. Downside is even with the new seat not sure if it's as comfortable for the pillion as the FJR.

Like the BMW RT but think just to much money at this point.

Will test ride both with wife before deciding. Sprint, my dealer will let me test ride anytime. Local Yamaha guy, never know. (bit of a butthead)

One of the other guy's in our Triumph rider group really like's the FJR. Think he may be trading in his Tiger for in the new year.

Either way, I have to wait till later in the year. Am looking to change jobs so everything in limbo till that happens and things settle back in, will just keep lurking till then. My Bonneville will just continue to be my ride for now. (and a fun one it is)

Hey PauHana,

I See your profile says you're in Florida but I'm thinking maybe via Honolulu. I'm originally from Moanalua Via Vegas now. As a former townie - laid back - beach bum and now FJR rider, I just wanted to say ride the FJR then ride it again.... This is my 4th bike after leaving the islands and none of my former bikes have ever effected me the way the FJR has. Add a Power Commander and a G2 throttle tube and you'd be hard pressed to find a better smoother bike....

Just my 2 cents..

Aloha

Keone

Paul - I shopped for 2 years before jumping on my new FJR AE. The final contestants were the same as yours - Triumph Sprint and BMW RT. BMW lost out on price plus having to add some features I wanted that were standard on the FJR. The seat was just a bit too high for my liking, and when I asked about the low seat option found out it was basically a piece of leather over the frame. The Sprint lost out because - I wanted a little more weight for touring; even with the high handle bars it was still a bit too forward for comfort; side case was too small for my laptop. Obviously these are just my querks. Suggestion, if you are at all comfortable with excel spreadsheets, create one where the the first column is all the features and specs. The next columns will hold details on bikes you are looking at. I found this very helpful in weighing pros and cons.

I really hated leaving the Triumph dealer as they were also the Aprilia dealer here, and had served me well for over three years. But, at least in Tallahassee, I got even better treatment a the Yamaha shop. I love the FJR. It meets and exceeds any expectations you might have in an ST.

Color is never a biggie to me. I wanted a blue FJR since I just sold my dark cherry '05 Goldwing (same color as '07 FJR) but couldn't find a good deal on a leftover/used '06 and didn't want earlier/hotter/ticky valve models. So I called D&H cycles in AL and got my '07 Cherry for $11k and change and am content (not concerned as usual) with the color but love the bike.

Most women really like the color, I get lots of compliments mostly from women of all ages but to each his/her own.

The sprint would be more like my VFR, that is to say a good solo day tripper/back road carver and not nearly as comfortable as the FJR.

Steve

Welcome ! Yeah I drove the 1200RT but it wasn't my cup of tea, had a way high price, plus didn't like the local BMW dealer (now out of the business, which means closest dealer is over an hour away). Good luck with your decision & locating an '06 or an '08...

For the first time ran into 3 FJR riders this weekend. After talking with a couple of them must say the bike has moved up the list of next purchase.
One guy was on his second FJR, now on 06. Rides primarily two up with his wife. I spoke with her also about pillon comfort. She had nothing but good things to say. He swapped out stock for corbin seat which he really liked. He commented the power and the ride cannot be beat.

Sounds like what everyone else says on this site.

Second guy had an 04. Again no problems with the bike.

My only problem is can't do the 07 color. I've tried, but no. And the wife say's no, no, hell, no to the red or whatever it is.

In no hurry so will wait for 08's unless find a deal at the end of riding season on an 06

Still also considering a 07 Triumph Sprint. Nice bike since they fixed heat issue and put higher bars on it. Plus really like that triple engine. Also at bit of a Triumph nut. Downside is even with the new seat not sure if it's as comfortable for the pillion as the FJR.

Like the BMW RT but think just to much money at this point.

Will test ride both with wife before deciding. Sprint, my dealer will let me test ride anytime. Local Yamaha guy, never know. (bit of a butthead)

One of the other guy's in our Triumph rider group really like's the FJR. Think he may be trading in his Tiger for in the new year.

Either way, I have to wait till later in the year. Am looking to change jobs so everything in limbo till that happens and things settle back in, will just keep lurking till then. My Bonneville will just continue to be my ride for now. (and a fun one it is)
PauHana,

I just purchased my new 07 FJR. Like you, I have done quite a lot of research on exactly the same bikes. The BMW was just too costly, and didn't have the power. The Triumph I liked but I felt the the riding position was just a little too forward, they recommended the Tiger which had a more upright riding position. You need some long legs on the Tiger and my wife felt like she was sitting to high. I have been looking at the FJR for a couple of years and reading everything I could about the FJR. Everyone who owns one loves them... now that I have mine I am absolutely thrilled. The bike is comfortable, handles great and is just so damn fast its unbelievable. I struggled with the black cherry but now that it's home and polished I think it looks great in the sun. Actually, after getting acquainted with the FJR I really don't think I would care if it was pink so long as I could hop and and take it for a long ride.

Willy