Ran out of gas

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasonhc73

Reaction score
I've never had a bike with no reserve and this is just weird relying on the "F" trip.

So, I decided to see just what it would do...

255.4 miles on trip meter

55.2 on F trip

At exactly 1 mile from the gas station, the turn the reserve on signal came on. Ya know, engine off noise...

But it came right back on. See what happens when you go up a slight incline when very low on gas.

It sputtered two more times, and ahh there is the gas station, just a quarter mile to go.

Down hill at least and one stop light at the corner.

Good it's green!

Drive right in and turn it off, still running.

I put in 6.415 gallons...

Then went on a happy ride. All is happy and fine.

So when you get to the F trip meter, there is basically 50 miles left.

So when you get to the F trip meter, there is basically 50 miles left.
48mpg/US is nothing to sneeze at, and thanks for the reserve info. I've filed it away and will quote it often when the subject comes up, only to be forgotten when I REALLY need it :D

Last edited by a moderator:
That flashing trip meter IS the reserve, you just don't have to flip a petcock to get it.

But you get way further than I do on my shorter-geared '03!

I think the regular/reserve ratio (before the light flashes) is dramatically changed from Gen 1 to Gen 2, and my 2006 is getting way better mileage than my 2004 too! The slightly taller gearing helps but I think the mapping is quite different too.

I've been over 60 miles on the F trip meter on my 2006 without sputtering and still haven't been able to squeeze in more than 6.3 gallons.

I've gone as far as 47mi. on flashing on my Gen I, but I haven't tried it to empty, like with a gallon can in the side bag yet....

All great info...glad you posted it. This would be good for the bin-o-facts section I think. Being a new FJR owner, I was unaware of the reserve function. Thanks!

Probably not a good idea to run the tank down that low unless it is necessary. There is really no fuel filter on the FJR, just a screen on the fuel pump.

Hmm... looks like the V-Strom might still give you guys a run for your money! But it is less comfortable, more exposed and half the displacement...

EDIT: And prone to catching fire at inopportune moments with the aftermarket grips, and a Suzuki, and...

I've done 46 miles on F trip, was sweating considering west Texas, eastern New Mexico, but made it. Was not planned, but riding with a buddy that carries a little extra juice in a can with him.

Probably not a good idea to run the tank down that low unless it is necessary. There is really no fuel filter on the FJR, just a screen on the fuel pump.
I've heard that before but never understood what difference it makes. If there is crap in the tank isn't it just as likely to get sucked in full or empty - no?

I've heard that before but never understood what difference it makes. If there is crap in the tank isn't it just as likely to get sucked in full or empty - no?
Just a theory, but my thinking is that the last bit of fuel, the stuff that you use when you are so low that you have to tip the bike, would not normally be used. That being the bottom of the tank would be where the heavy bits of debris settle. Since there is nothing to filter it out, and it doesn't take much to clog up an injector, it just doesn't seem worth the risk unless you have no choice.

I think the idea there is stuff that is "floating" on top of the gas in your tank is more likely to get sucked in when the level is all the way down. What this stuff would be , not sure,.

Most stuff that contaminates your gas would in fact sink in gasoline..(like water) , or rust flakes.

I have never taken a tank apart, but I would imagine that Yamaha used some kind of screen in the system.

I thought the problem of running the bike till it dies from lack of fuel had something to do with the priming of the fuel pump.

As a rule I stop for gas at 2 bars...............

KM

That flashing trip meter IS the reserve, you just don't have to flip a petcock to get it.
But you get way further than I do on my shorter-geared '03!
love your sigline. Mind if I steal it?
Such theft is something a below-average person would do! :p

Besides, I know it applies to me. You, who can tell?? B)

Just a theory, but my thinking is that the last bit of fuel, the stuff that you use when you are so low that you have to tip the bike, would not normally be used. That being the bottom of the tank would be where the heavy bits of debris settle.
The fuel pump always pulls from the bottom of the tank.

The sloshing around in the tank as you drive keeps everything mixed up real nice.

The first bit of fuel from a full tank of gas is the same quality as the last few ounce of fuel you pull from the tank just before your engine stops running and you're pushing it down the road.

All great info...glad you posted it. This would be good for the bin-o-facts section I think. Being a new FJR owner, I was unaware of the reserve function. Thanks!
Don't these things still come with an owner's manual? I know when I read mine, the whole flashing "F" low fuel warning was explained in there. I'm not sayin...I'm just sayin.

Don't these things still come with an owner's manual? I know when I read mine, the whole flashing "F" low fuel warning was explained in there. I'm not sayin...I'm just sayin.
I read the book, it doesn't mention how far you can get, just that you have 1.6 gallons left. Actually the book can make you think you have about an 8 gallon tank. Not 6.6.

I've never trusted a fuel gage, that's why I always reset the trip meter at fill up.

IF you ride the same style most the time, you're going to get the same mileage most of the time +- 5%. I got 55.2 on F and started to dry out. If I go super easy on the gas, I'll be able to go all the way to 65 probably. If I ride hard then I know at 35, It'll be done. For normal riding I'm going to be filling up pretty much as soon as the F comes on, or around 185 on the Trip. I know I can easily go 40 on the F.

There is no knowledge like experience.

+1 on the owners manual not being clear. Anyway, 1.6 gals??? Mine (07-A) says 1.45 gal. Which I thought was a strange number, but when it's converted from liters, it makes sense - 5.5L.

+1 on the owners manual not being clear. Anyway, 1.6 gals??? Mine (07-A) says 1.45 gal. Which I thought was a strange number, but when it's converted from liters, it makes sense - 5.5L.

It's in my 03 owners manual...