Ran out of gas

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it will sputter on for about 4 or 5 miles then die at 65.2 on my 08. this is just a guess though. no actual experience. i will say that there is no cell phone coverage or much traffic on I64 at the border of Va/WVa real late on a sunday night.

Actually the fuel cools the fuel pump. THat is the main reason why you don't want to repeatedly run on empty. It will overheat the pump!

Actually the fuel cools the fuel pump. THat is the main reason why you don't want to repeatedly run on empty. It will overheat the pump!
Can I have an AMEN! Many an R1 pump is rumored to have failed because of continuous low fuel usage. There really is no sense pushing it unless it's absolutely necessary.

I've seen this come up a few times. Sounds like non sence to me. If the the engine is out of gas, it's not running. If it's not running, the fuel pump is not running. If it's not running, it's not over heating. No gas No heat.

Don't lock this thread down to the pointless neverending land.

I just had a nice trip down to Seneca Rocks, WVa. I filled up in Winchester,Va rode 2 up all the way down and back 255 miles and filled up at the same place in Winchester. Va. It only took 5 gallons. WOOOOOOHOOOOOOO of course I was sick that day and couldn't work :yahoo: F miles just started blinking. Man I just love this bike!!!!!!!! We left Frederick, MD at 8:45am and got back at 6:50pm with 347 miles total. Of course I found out why the ECM was recalled once I hit the mountains but thanks to this forum I knew to pull over and turn the key off to let it reset then away we went with no hesitation. I'll get the new ECM next service. After buying it Aug 30 we now have 3700 awesome miles. And a nice flat spot on the tires :sarcasm:

I've seen this come up a few times. Sounds like non sence to me. If the the engine is out of gas, it's not running. If it's not running, the fuel pump is not running. If it's not running, it's not over heating. No gas No heat.

Huh?

I just had a nice trip down to Seneca Rocks, WVa. I filled up in Winchester,Va rode 2 up all the way down and back 255 miles and filled up at the same place in Winchester. Va. It only took 5 gallons. WOOOOOOHOOOOOOO of course I was sick that day and couldn't work :yahoo: F miles just started blinking. Man I just love this bike!!!!!!!! We left Frederick, MD at 8:45am and got back at 6:50pm with 347 miles total. Of course I found out why the ECM was recalled once I hit the mountains but thanks to this forum I knew to pull over and turn the key off to let it reset then away we went with no hesitation. I'll get the new ECM next service. After buying it Aug 30 we now have 3700 awesome miles. And a nice flat spot on the tires :sarcasm:
Reading these posts about getting 250+ miles before going on reserve makes me think there is something wrong with my 08, I can barely get 200 miles before the F light starts blinking. :(

Reading these posts about getting 250+ miles before going on reserve makes me think there is something wrong with my 08, I can barely get 200 miles before the F light starts blinking. :(
Don't feel to bad. I can't get more than 180-190 before my F light comes on... I ride open freeway 95% of the time and take it easy also. I am getting the mileage without draggin knees. Still beats driving a cage though.

Think of the pump as being immersed in a cooling bath of fuel. Remove the bath, it gets hot. Running it right to the end of the fuel capacity means the pump is running in air more than in heat-absorbing fuel. It's an electric motor, after all, and it generates heat, just by having electrons shoved through it.

I don't know if I buy into that myself, but that's what they're sayin'.

Also, in a low-fuel condition there will be moments of sucking air, which unloads the motor, running it up in speed. Kind of like a boat motor when the prop comes out of the water in a good chop. Maybe there's some trouble from that, too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Think of the pump as being immersed in a cooling bath of fuel. Remove the bath, it gets hot. Running it right to the end of the fuel capacity means the pump is running in air more than in heat-absorbing fuel. It's an electric motor, after all, and it generates heat, just by having electrons shoved through it.

I don't know if I buy into that myself, but that's what they're sayin'.

Also, in a low-fuel condition there will be moments of sucking air, which unloads the motor, running it up in speed. Kind of like a boat motor when the prop comes out of the water in a good chop. Maybe there's some trouble from that, too.
Somebody reply who has had to have their fuel pump replaced.

Thats great info to know. My '08 is getting 45-46 mpg, measured, for each of the tanks so far. I always use high octane gas in my bikes. I've pushed the F trip to over 40 before, just wondering really how much further I could go. Man, sorry you had to find out, but it sure helps the rest of us '08 owners know with some degree of confidence what we might expect if the ox gets in the ditch. I love riding so much, I just hate to stop for gas. I am bad about pushing it myself. Know the feeling. Ride Safe!

OK, here is one of those dumb questions. How hard is it to start a bike back up again after you have run it dry then added back in a gallon or so? Is there any priming or anything that needs to be done or do you just pour fuel back in the tank and start cranking it over? I really don't know..

OK, here is one of those dumb questions. How hard is it to start a bike back up again after you have run it dry then added back in a gallon or so? Is there any priming or anything that needs to be done or do you just pour fuel back in the tank and start cranking it over? I really don't know..
It started just like it always does.

I just run mine to 260 miles, with 62 on the f-trip just this past weekend. Filled up with 6.145 gallons. Mostly highway miles though. As for running a late model fuel injection motor out of fuel, it is designed not to allow air to enter the injector lines, so there is nothing to reprime. As for the fuel pump overheating, it is true that the fuel does cool the fuel pump, along with providing lubrication.

Probably not a good idea to run the tank down that low unless it is necessary. There is really no fuel filter on the FJR, just a screen on the fuel pump.
The problem with running the tank dry has nothing to do with debris in the tank, it has to do with running the pump dry. It is fairly easy to burn out the fuel pump if you run it with no liquid in it. That is the danger.

If you feel it cutting out, you are best to shut it off immediately. That means you are out of gas.

It started just like it always does.

You didn't actually run yours dry.

The question was: If the thing runs dry, then the fuel rail is empty, how hard is it to prime.

BTW - this may well vary by generation as the 1st gens have a return circuit from the fuel rail which may help purge air.

It IS a NEPRT . . .

First of all, there's no reason to actually run out of fuel except under very special circumstances beyond your control.

Second, when you run out of fuel, the pump will run continuously until you shut down the engine because it is electrically operated and pressure controlled - pumping air will never let it get to the setpoint. And I can certainly see how you could burn a fuel pump out . . . a good way to spend $357.80 (that's discounted) plus freight. NOT.

Feel free to try it and report back with your findings.

I always use high octane gas in my bikes.!
Save your money and use regular in your FJR - your bike will thank you and so will your wallet. But that's a subject you'll find repeatedly explained on this and every other motoring board.

Feel free to do some research, THEN smack yourself in the head for being a dork and not doing what the manual told you to.

I always use high octane gas in my bikes.!
Save your money and use regular in your FJR - your bike will thank you and so will your wallet. But that's a subject you'll find repeatedly explained on this and every other motoring board.

Feel free to do some research, THEN smack yourself in the head for being a dork and not doing what the manual told you to.

Yeah... I was gona say that, but now that gas is upwards of $3 a gallon (sometimes more), the $.20 difference between regular and "Super High Octane" is less and less significant.

It won't actually do any damage, other than to your wallet.

Yeah... I was gona say that, but now that gas is upwards of $3 a gallon (sometimes more), the $.20 difference between regular and "Super High Octane" is less and less significant.
It won't actually do any damage, other than to your wallet.
At 40 mpg, that's a half cent a mile using your example. I ride about 30,000 miles a year, so even with the 'minimal' 20 cent a gallon difference, we're looking at $150.00 everything else being equal - that pays for a rear tire. The reality is that your mileage could well be slightly lower with super than with regular and the price difference larger than 20 cents.

But we're hijacking one NEPRT with another. If you want to debate it all, lets start a new thread - or better yet, continue one of the fifteen dozen or so of them that have already been started and get this thread get back to the original topic which was "look how far I went on reserve".

I've taken mine to about 78 km, which is slightly shy of 50 miles - I got cold feet and filled her up and still had a half gallon left.