Re: '06 Handlebar Risers

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyway

Reaction score
I had a look at the bars today of the '06 regarding adding risers, it can be done but...

There is a welded bolt that protrudes up through the bar, that will not be long enough to add a riser to increase bar height. Put simply, without mass destruction and re-fabrication of the lower assembly to add a custom fabricated bolt, I personally would not want to go this route if it were my bike. Also irreversible without more mass reconstruction.

Now it is possible to add on to the existing bolt that sticks up and achieve the desired 1" (or whatever rise can be done without interfering with stock cables/brake-lines), but will require drilling a slightly larger diameter hole on the handlebar itself.

I believe this will be the cleanest way to increase handlebar height on the '06, despite having to drill the handlebars.

This route will also make it possible to reverse the mod should you desire to go back to stock configuration.

I am willing to fabricate some for you guys, but will need some commitment up front to decide whether or not its worth my time.

I'm figuring it would be right around a $100 a set if the numbers are there.

I had a look at the bars today of the '06 regarding adding risers, it can be done but...
There is a welded bolt that protrudes up through the bar, that will not be long enough to add a riser to increase bar height. Put simply, without mass destruction and re-fabrication of the lower assembly to add a custom fabricated bolt, I personally would not want to go this route if it were my bike. Also irreversible without more mass reconstruction.

Now it is possible to add on to the existing bolt that sticks up and achieve the desired 1" (or whatever rise can be done without interfering with stock cables/brake-lines), but will require drilling a slightly larger diameter hole on the handlebar itself.

I believe this will be the cleanest way to increase handlebar height on the '06, despite having to drill the handlebars.

This route will also make it possible to reverse the mod should you desire to go back to stock configuration.

I am willing to fabricate some for you guys, but will need some commitment up front to decide whether or not its worth my time.

Should I send you a check?

Skyway, this sounds doable. Only question is to return the install back to stock if ever needed, what would be required? And to extend the bolt, would that be using a coupler type setup? Thanks for doing this for us newbe's. PM. <><

Last edited by a moderator:
Skyway,

Put me down as a definite maybe. I haven't gotten my '06 yet but with my stubby arms I'm pretty sure the risers will be needed. I'll be sending you some money for sliders too.

Thanks!

Only question is to return the install back to stock if ever needed, what would be required?
I will supply a small shouldered ring that would be placed above the previously drilled hole on the handlebar. This will allow a way back to the stock configuration.

I'm interested.Will they come towards the rider more. Had stacked risers and heli bars on my 05 and the combination was perfect for me.                                    Ghost
I don't think there's enough slack in the lines to do this, otherwise making the risers would be a lot easier. The right side wiring loom is pretty tight.

Yeah, the wiring was tight when I did the bar adjustment[sic]. I plan on installing a couple of powerlets this weekend and I was hoping I could find some, well, a lot of slack in the harness when I did them. Do you have any first hand knowledge of how much, if any, slack is available ?

If not, I'll post when I find out.

Ghost

"Now it is possible to add on to the existing bolt that sticks up and achieve the desired 1" (or whatever rise can be done without interfering with stock cables/brake-lines), but will require drilling a slightly larger diameter hole on the handlebar itself."

How do you plan on adding on to the exhisting bolt? Have you completed these risers yet? I will buy some, I need some for a trip bad!!

Any chance that a set of risers could be designed that would allow a rider to adjust the 'sweep' or angle of the bars?

There is a welded bolt that protrudes up through the bar, that will not be long enough to add a riser to increase bar height.

Are you sure about this? I saw only two bolts, the allen that goes in from the top, and the larger 17mm bolt that comes up from the bottom...if this is welded, why does mine move back and forth?

KM

There is a welded bolt that protrudes up through the bar, that will not be long enough to add a riser to increase bar height.

Are you sure about this? I saw only two bolts, the allen that goes in from the top, and the larger 17mm bolt that comes up from the bottom...if this is welded, why does mine move back and forth?

KM
The 17mm nut goes on stationary stud wich is part of the cable/wire guide. While the allen's nut is captured in a wire cage for adjustability.

KM
I'm quite sure. The movement you are feeling is because the bars are adjustable forward and backward about 10mm IIRC. Both 17mm(?) bolts are welded to a common plate that keeps both handle bars in the same position of adjustment. This plate has to move in order to allow handle bar adjustment.

KM
I'm quite sure. The movement you are feeling is because the bars are adjustable forward and backward about 10mm IIRC. Both 17mm(?) bolts are welded to a common plate that keeps both handle bars in the same position of adjustment. This plate has to move in order to allow handle bar adjustment.

Got it. That explains why you need to adjust both bars at the same time. I would guess duplicating the bar the bolts are welded to using longer bolts would be difficult. Again, lets thank Yamaha for doing this and not just leaving the damn bars alone.

I may end up making my "risers" myself as outlined here:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=7905

KM

I will buy a set of risers for my '06. I can't quite figure out what is going to be required though...do I need to make irreversible changes to my bike? I guess what I'm saying is count me in as long as I don't have to break out the plasma cutter...

Last edited by a moderator:
Aside from the unique design that will be required to accomodate the handlebars on the 06, I have concerns over the cable lengths -

I have my bars at the rearward position - and the cables/wires all seem to be at their limits - very taut.

Just wondering if this is going to be a show-stopper.