Re-keying Givi top box

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJReady

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Has any successfully re-keyed the Givi lock with a Yamaha tumbler? I have this extra lock, I think intended for the Yamaha top box. I would like to have the Givi open with my ignition key rather than the giant red key Givi supplied. Any advice appreciated.

Haven't tried that, but I did have a locksmith try unsuccessfully to rekey the givi lock for my Yamaha key and/or find a blank to fit the Givi lock. Ended up having to order a blank from Givi, which was actually wrong the first time. I guess they make more than one type of lock. What's up with that? In any case, I'd suggest a locksmith for what you're attempting.

And let us know if you're successful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's the reply I got when I contacted Givi about key blanks for the V46 top box...I assume these are the big red ones.

Hi Mike,

Many thanks for your e-mail, the blank keys for the V46 case are part # Z661G $4.50 each.

Best regards,

Paul

I can see the advantages of having one key for everything. Since I can't do that with the Giv I have been thinking about drilling a hole in the red plastic part of the key right about where a normal key would have a hole for the key ring and then sawing off the extra plastic appendage which now has the key ring hole. At least the my key ring would fit normally in my pocket.

Anybody done that yet?

Hmm, a better idea might be to remove the red plastic altogether. I wonder what that key looks like naked..... Might cost me $4.50 to find out.

Hmm, a better idea might be to remove the red plastic altogether. I wonder what that key looks like naked.....
I've done this. But now the key is so small without the red locator beacon that I can't find the darn thing. If it turns up, I'll post a picture.

Found it!

Here's the key in comparison to it's fully clothed sibling.

nakedgivikey1.jpg

And here it is in an overlay.

nakedgivikey2.jpg

I feel I should add that it appears I shaved a bit of material off the circumfrence of the key. i don't think it was to make it smaller, but rather because it may have been sharp. But at this point I really have no idea. I think if it had been bigger, I would've left it because the way it is now, there's really not enough to grab to get any turning leverage on. There's a reason why GIVI made their keys so huge. I de-clothed my key mainly so that I could keep a spare with me in my wallet or something while out riding.

BTW, this is the first time I've posted images here. I checked the forum guidelines and found no mention of size maximums. If they're too big, please let me know and I'll resize them.

etz,

Thanks for the pictures. That naked key does look like the grasping area might be a bit too small to have much leverage. Maybe with a hole drilled in it and the right key chain to give it some leverage... Or maybe I'll just leave it alone for a while.

Has any successfully re-keyed the Givi lock with a Yamaha tumbler?  I have this extra lock, I think intended for the Yamaha top box.  I would like to have the Givi open with my ignition key rather than the giant red key Givi supplied.  Any advice appreciated.
This information doesn't answer the man's question.

To my knowledge, nobldy has been able to have the tumbler or lock assembly changed to be able to use the Yamaha key, as with the Yamaha topcase.

To continue with the key dialogue, I was able to take my Givi key to mylocal locksmith and have extra keys made. IIRC, less than $4.50. The blank is ILCO # 1573E, or CL85, unless Givi has changed keys since I got mine 2 years ago.

I have not been successful. I just keep the Givi key in the locked dash box - keeps me from needing more than 1 key on a key fob. I also keep a spare Givi key in the tool kit under the seat.

I have 2 spare key rings. On I put in my riding pants pocket, the other on a tether around my neck. I'm never going to lose the ignition key and be stuck, as I only use the "1" key (a copy, at that) for the ignition, preferring to keep the others "out-of-sight but not out-of-hand". I think I learned that from reading posts by Bounce and other LD riders, and it works.