re-usable oil filter?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

120hp harley

Reaction score
Anybody hear of or use a Scotts Performance Products stainless reusable oil filter? Sounds great in theory with better filtering capabilities but we all know, sounds great doesn't always pefrom great.

I have been using one since day one - seems to be doing its' job just fine, looks kind of cool, fairly easy to clean. I got it because I had more money than time when I bought the FJR. Overall, satisfied with it and will move it to the next FJR someday when and if it fits. Can't testify as to its cost/benefit ratio just yet as it is really the only thing I have tried.

Oh yeah, just rolled over 31k for mileage.

Paul

Duluth

'05 FJR

Why don't people buy reusable garbage bags? Because, nobody wants to wash them clean after every use? It's easier to throw the bag out with the garbage. I don't see a difference here either.

Aircraft engines used to have the same metal filters and they cannot be washed and reused. They need to be cleaned in an ultrasonic cleaner, like a jewelry cleaner with vibrating liquid. What brush do you have that cleans the 3 or 5 or whatever micron holes in the metal? You can't really clean them properly and eventually it will plug up.

Lots of motorcycles lasted 35K miles with no oil filter at all so that is not good evidence of a good filter.

I don't mean to sound harsh but I do not understand how these can possibly be a good thing. Not to mention that it is all a dealer needs for an excuse to not honor a warranty, justified or not.

Buyer beware.

I tried one on a Toyota sienna minivan for awhile, but cleaning it thoroughly got to be a drag so I went back to disposable.

Been using one since day one. A little carb cleaner followed by 175psi of air, an occasional run through the dishwasher and its clean as a whistle. Since I am on my 25th oil change its been worth it to me.

:yahoo:

Been using one since day one. A little carb cleaner followed by 175psi of air, an occasional run through the dishwasher and its clean as a whistle. Since I am on my 25th oil change its been worth it to me.
After talking to John & doing a little research, I too decided to start using one.

After talking to John & doing a little research, I too decided to start using one.
When doing your research, did you figure out the cost difference between filters?

Lets see, disposable filter = ~$5.00

Re-useable filter = ~$119.00

Break even point is 24 oil changes

so if I change my oil every 3,000 miles that would be 72,000 miles to breakeven point.

Also, add in the cost of the Carb Cleaner, Air compressor, Dishwasher and your extra time to clean and reuse.

Not to mention the metal and toxic waste being put in the dishwasher. Or the carb cleaner and oil dumped where ever that goes.

Personal experience for me is 34 yrs of changing oil so I may not like to spend time doing it on my own car or bike.

My 1995 Honda has 245 thousand miles with oil changes every 5000 miles or so and what ever paper filter we have in stock.

My 1993 Suburban has 255 thousand miles with oil changes every 5000 miles or so and what ever paper filter we have in stock.

Never had either one apart and no leaks either.

With that said, I fully believe each individual has the right to spend their money on what makes them happy. I don't believe there is any way to prove one way or the other. All the research done is only to prove "My Product" is better than "Their Product"

This is just my observation and is not based on insider trading information, or extraterestial beings that I have known. Enjoy, Ride, and Ride some more.

Nobody, but nobody, can convince me that holes in metal (that you can see) will filter better than paper (the holes of which you can`t see). In fact, it`s the opposite. Paper media is superior. The only thing the Scots has got going for it is: it looks very cool. :ph34r:

When I bought the Cobalt Cooker the tick was the rage. My personal opinion was that it was lubrication related. My effort was to make sure the oil got where it needed to be at the max pressure. The stainless filter is the best solution for that job. They flow about 8x better than a paper filter and actually filter to an absolute spec vs the “average” rating used on paper filter. My neighbor (the engineer at Donaldson in their filtration department and one of the developers of their stainless(surprise, surprise, surprise) filtration systems used on M1A1 tanks in the Persian Gulf) confirmed what I had heard and told me it would be a very good application in this setting. Stainless filters are used in aerospace, aircraft, hydraulic and medical settings around the world. There must be something good about them.

They also have less of an environmental impact than disposables, as more oil ends up in my recycling jug than dumped in some landfill. Fewer of Mother Earth’s forest-land creatures are harmed as I am reducing the need to cut down old growth forests. It also lessens steel demand for those throw away filters. And lefty girls(notoriously easy) dig environmentally friendly guys. Thats the clincher for me!

:rolleyes:

Yeah yeah yeah it's true that jet engines and tanks that use jet engines use stainless filters like scotts. They're used because It's the only material that will stand up to the extreme temperatures and pressures involved. It has nothing to do with flowing better or filtering better than other materials. And in those applications they're not reused for reasons already stated. But hey, whatever blows your dress up..... :blink:

Qoute: When I bought the Cobalt Cooker the tick was the rage. My personal opinion was that it was lubrication related. My effort was to make sure the oil got where it needed to be at the max pressure." MNF., no offence, but yer behind the curve on this one. yes the tick was lubrication related but not the way u think. It was the valve guides that prevented adequate supply to the valve stem.They were too tight. Doesn`t matter how much oil u shoot up to the galleys, if it can`t get past the guide your point is moot. As well, the stainless steel filter does allow more oil to pass at a faster rate of s peed as u state, but thats because it isn`t being cleaned as well as what a good quality disposable can do. It only makes sense. <_<

+1 for the Scotts...

FWIW, I have one in every bike I own that it'll fit - they pay for themselves, plus I don't have to give up cargo space by carrying extra filters around or worry a/b where I'll be able to find one on the road (which is often in rural areas); you might have to be a high mileage rider to understand the latter two can be priceless.

AGirl

I'll stick with disposables. Not only do I believe they work, but they lend themselves to getting the job done quickly. I don't mind working on my bike, but I would rather ride it. I want to be done with the oil/filter change in 10 minutes. Besides, I won't even wash dishes, I'm sure not washing a filter.

The stainless filters actually filter smaller particles than the paper filters...

The stainless filters actually filter smaller particles than the paper filters...
Not according to this guy: ALL ABOUT OIL FILTERS

I used the Scott for several years. It was a messy pain in the ass. Oil came out of the ground. I have no problem putting it back in. If we are that worried about trees, we should probably outlaw newspapers and asswipe. Save steel? Using a throwaway keeps those Chinese mills running :rolleyes:

The link above states that the Scott oil filter is good for 35-40 microns and is two dimensional. Disposables are 2 or 3 times more effective in filtering. If they get clogged (fat chance!) I think they have a bypass.

When I dumped the Scott's, due to the information gleaned from the source above, I switched to Purolator Pure One filter. It comes in a pretty blue color and is recommend as a high performance filter. I think that the ST (SuperTech) sold by Walmart is also highly rated and is cheap at less than $3

Last edited by a moderator:
bvail, thanks for the reminder... :clapping: I had forgotten about that site. AND, that about settles it once and for all. Lets see what the steel adherents come back with now!..."I rest my case your honour".