Ready to pull the trigger

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

For A drivers, ever wish you opted for the AE?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Having ridden both bikes several times I would have to say that the AE SUCKS................

R
I understand your anger little man. You probably paid retail plus, along with a hefty dealer prep fee and doc fees up the ying yang for that clutch lever and now you're having trouble shifting because your arthritic fingers are brittle from writing those big monthly checks. Have heart, you only have 71 months to go and she'll be yers..
Brutal!!
+1

Lets stay civil....

I just bought my 09, and there was another dealer with a 09AE for 1K less. I went with the standard, as I'm under 30, and I wanted to stick with the traditional. After reading all that was said, I'm wondering if I should have saved my money and just gotten the "ugly duckling".

As the OP of this thread, I appreciate the variety of comments. I didn't expect that so many of you would have so much to offer, and some so little. These forums are amazing! Truly appreciate your thoughts and opinions. Not sure why a motorcycle electric clutch has been so slow to gain enthusiasm from those other than the ones who actually go out and try it. Its not exactly leading edge technology without precedent. They've been using and winning with paddle shifters in dragsters for 20+ years, formula one racing in Europe and Japan for 15, and NASCAR for at least that long. New cars have been offering paddle shifters in nearly all automatic transmission cars with their respective sporting option packages. Where's all the fear mongering coming from?

Well I got a little sidetracked. I went in to the same dealer with the new 08 AE that I've been lusting after; its still there - imagine that!. He also had a used 06 AE with 26k miles and an 08 Kawasaki Concours 1400 with 2100 miles. Weather precluded testing either, but then we started talking about that Concours. Then I went home and got pulled into the C14 and sport-touring forums and all the comparisons of the sport touring bikes available out there, and well, became confused and befuddled. Lots of talk out there about the C14 eating the FJRs lunch. Not sure I buy that bull, and in fact the FJR was a fav of a sport touring comparison test in a 2009 article. If I could just go to a one-stop-shop and test drive the darn things and see what I like - not what the YouTube talking heads or the journalists or all you forum posters like - then I'd be more confident about what to do.

Recall that I am an almost-60 guy looking for the appropriate re-start point- not having ridden motors for many years. As an avid bicyclist, I am healthy, confident and respectful of the environment and inherent dangers on 2wheels. Earlier in this process, I looked at Honda's new (to our market) NT700, 700cc sport touring bike, kind of a ST1300-lite. Thinking that a 1000+cc bike might be more than I need or should want at this point, I was tempted by that fine machine. But its pricey and well, with the prices on the unsold 08 AEs that are available, and the preponderance of good reviews for the FJR including the AE model, I lost sight of the smaller Honda as an option. If money were not a factor, I'd be hanging out at the BMW R1200RT forums and dealership. But it is, so the pricey new stuff is out for me. I'm sure there is a solution out there for me in the used market. I'll just keep lookin.... That 08 AE still has my eye! Like it. Want it. Stop stop - go to bed...

As the OP of this thread, I appreciate the variety of comments. I didn't expect that so many of you would have so much to offer, and some so little. These forums are amazing! Truly appreciate your thoughts and opinions. Not sure why a motorcycle electric clutch has been so slow to gain enthusiasm from those other than the ones who actually go out and try it. Its not exactly leading edge technology without precedent. They've been using and winning with paddle shifters in dragsters for 20+ years, formula one racing in Europe and Japan for 15, and NASCAR for at least that long. New cars have been offering paddle shifters in nearly all automatic transmission cars with their respective sporting option packages. Where's all the fear mongering coming from?
Well I got a little sidetracked. I went in to the same dealer with the new 08 AE that I've been lusting after; its still there - imagine that!. He also had a used 06 AE with 26k miles and an 08 Kawasaki Concours 1400 with 2100 miles. Weather precluded testing either, but then we started talking about that Concours. Then I went home and got pulled into the C14 and sport-touring forums and all the comparisons of the sport touring bikes available out there, and well, became confused and befuddled. Lots of talk out there about the C14 eating the FJRs lunch. Not sure I buy that bull, and in fact the FJR was a fav of a sport touring comparison test in a 2009 article. If I could just go to a one-stop-shop and test drive the darn things and see what I like - not what the YouTube talking heads or the journalists or all you forum posters like - then I'd be more confident about what to do.

Recall that I am an almost-60 guy looking for the appropriate re-start point- not having ridden motors for many years. As an avid bicyclist, I am healthy, confident and respectful of the environment and inherent dangers on 2wheels. Earlier in this process, I looked at Honda's new (to our market) NT700, 700cc sport touring bike, kind of a ST1300-lite. Thinking that a 1000+cc bike might be more than I need or should want at this point, I was tempted by that fine machine. But its pricey and well, with the prices on the unsold 08 AEs that are available, and the preponderance of good reviews for the FJR including the AE model, I lost sight of the smaller Honda as an option. If money were not a factor, I'd be hanging out at the BMW R1200RT forums and dealership. But it is, so the pricey new stuff is out for me. I'm sure there is a solution out there for me in the used market. I'll just keep lookin.... That 08 AE still has my eye! Like it. Want it. Stop stop - go to bed...
If money is a factor, maybe it should be the tipper for you. It seems that good deals on unsold AE's are still easy to find. You already know that BMW is is not an option for that reason, and from what I have read, the maintenance schedule for the C14 is more costly than the Yammie. It looks to me like an unsold new AE is going to be your best value. It is clear that you are not going to find any other machine in the heavy weight sport touring class that can match that 08FJRAE for the money you will be spending on it. (Plus you know it is really the best machine and you really really want it.) :rolleyes:

Been a member of this great group of pooled expertise for awhile. Same for the ST1300 and the new Nt700 forums as well as the BMW R1200RT. I am looking for the right re-entry point. Long time rider, but that was a long time ago. Empty nester, sort of retired and well, the itch for the ride is back. Been an avid bicyclist for a long time too, and see those motorcycle groups out there enjoying the same country roads, but not having to work so hard for the view.
Re-took the Motorcycle Safety Course to a) see if this was just a passing fling (now convinced that its not just a fling, its the real itch); and B) to update overall safety awareness and current rules of the road. Good program, learned alot.

Although I have not found the dreamland that one can go and test drive all his favorite rides to make a final selection, I'm about to pull the trigger: the FJR1300 is my current favored target. I'm very impressed with the AE electric clutchless shift. There are several unsold 2008 and 2009s out there in dealer-land. There are several used 2006+ A models on Craigs List, et al. I like the AE because - well just because these 59 yr old hands are starting to show some wear and might even have some early arthritis. So not having to pull the clutch is interesting, and the paddle shifter and / or the foot shifter still offer the fun of selecting your own gears, as the mood fits.

So I've used this slicko forum to poll a few questions from this extraordinaire group of experts. And of course, would welcome your comments - especially from someone who has had both the A and AE models and can speak about which they prefer and why.

Thanks!
To be completely accurate, the AE does have a clutch, which I am sure you know. The Yamaha description for the AE clutch system is Yamaha Chip Controlled Shift, or YCCS. As the name implies, YCCS does two things. It actuates the clutch and shifts the gearbox, whether you use the finger paddles or the foot switch. It is only clutchless in the sense that it does not have a standard clutch lever. I think the way Yamaha marketed the YCCS contributed to the lack of enthusiasm it got. Instead of marketing it as something that makes the bike easier and less fatiguing to ride, (read: This is for OLD PEOPLE) they should have played up the lighting fast, accurate, never miss shifts. They should have connected it to high dollar exotic sports car paddle shifters. You have heard the phrase "throttle by wire"? No mechanical cable connection to the throttle bodies? Sounds kind of exotic, yes? Well, the YCCS could as accurately be called "shift by wire". Had they slanted their marketing in that direction, I think they may have had more of winner. But that's just my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the way Yamaha marketed the YCCS contributed to the lack of enthusiasm it got. Instead of marketing it as something that makes the bike easier and less fatiguing to ride, (read: This if for OLD PEOPLE) they should have played up the lighting fast, accurate, never miss shifts. They should have connected it to high dollar exotic sports car paddle shifters. You have heard the phrase "throttle by wire"? No mechanical cable connection to the throttle bodies? Sounds kind of exotic, yes?

You have made an excellent point.

Hi Sailrider,

I think you should wait until you can at least test a C-14 and maybe a ST as well. In my opinion you can't really go wrong with either of the three, and besides the price aspect, it should be much more preference for seating position, style and all the small differences in functionality over anything else that should make your decision. For me the FJR was the clear winner based on my own preferences, but as I said, that's usually different for each of us. When I tested last year, I just wanted to avoid the scenario of sitting on a friends C-14 a year or so from now and then asking myself why the hell I didn't look into that rather then buying the FJR. Well, now I can say I did, and I chose the FJR anyway, and I have no doubts whatsoever anyway every time I look at my bike. :lol:

It is always best to get a test ride. But to be honest... A short test ride of the AE may actually turn one off more than on. To me it was uncomfortable for the first couple hundred miles. After that, I totally different story.

Initally I would not touch the paddle shifters. Foot shifting was much more the comfortable method coming from a conventional bike. After the initial break in period was over, I began to turn on the hand switch to shift. Anymore my left foot rarely reaches out for the shifter (Unless I forgot to turn on the paddle).

I moved to the FJR from a VStrom 650. A bike that I felt at the time to be "more than enough". It did what I needed it to do, but was never going to see dirt, and never brought the grin to my face the FJR can and does.

Regardless of FJR (A or AE), Connie, or even the ST (I was never a ST fan, could not get past the looks) I think you will be happy.

I would warn, the price savings encountered buying a new old stock AE just leads to farkle justification ;)

Got it, love it. No problems, just bliss. Ridden many different bikes for many years and have no desire to go back to a clutch lever on this particular class bike (sport-tourer).

Something to consider the AE is not coming back in the forseeable future, the past 2 Factory Auctions have been great for Yamaha but not for dealer and customer, the 10900 deals are diappearing the last AE's were in the high 11's last auction, and product is dissapearing Yamaha cut production 50 percent as of last Sept. I spoke with head of MC division, and he predicts a shortage in early July of most all of Yamaha models. Japan is nervous and pulling there horns back.

The good news your used FJR's will be worth more, and new product will be in short supply, and so will dealers as they are dropping like fly's accross the nation, a leading Magazine that we dealers recieve on industry news said that 3000+ franchised dealers have gone out of business in the US, they predict that another 800 will fall away in the next 6 months, that number is equal to all Yamaha, and Honda Dealers combined ouch!

I say AE's will no doubt increase in value as they become more scarce, on a recent locate in the Pac Nor West less than 15 were in dealer inventories, if you can lay your hands on one I would advise doing so very soon, I am personally keeping one for myself I love the technology, and look forward to the many miles of enjoyment sipping my starbucks at intersections and watching peoples faces while I take off with only one hand on the throttle HAHA.

There are some screaming deals out there on both the AE's and Concours. I have been able to negotiate a deal on a new '08 (locally) for $9.8k and I see a lot of '09's going for ~$9.9k on ebay.

Quite frankly, I liked the Connie but my only fear so far has been the maintenance issue. If you spend enough time on the Connie forums you start to see a trend on the increased cost of routine maintenance vs. the FJR.

Good post about the AE feeling odd to ride at first. I thought for sure I wanted one until I tested it and it felt so unatural to me that I wasnt quite sure. Luckily I had some more seat time than is normal and got a little more comfortable with it.

Been a member of this great group of pooled expertise for awhile. Same for the ST1300 and the new Nt700 forums as well as the BMW R1200RT. I am looking for the right re-entry point. Long time rider, but that was a long time ago. Empty nester, sort of retired and well, the itch for the ride is back. Been an avid bicyclist for a long time too, and see those motorcycle groups out there enjoying the same country roads, but not having to work so hard for the view.
Re-took the Motorcycle Safety Course to a) see if this was just a passing fling (now convinced that its not just a fling, its the real itch); and B) to update overall safety awareness and current rules of the road. Good program, learned alot.

Although I have not found the dreamland that one can go and test drive all his favorite rides to make a final selection, I'm about to pull the trigger: the FJR1300 is my current favored target. I'm very impressed with the AE electric clutchless shift. There are several unsold 2008 and 2009s out there in dealer-land. There are several used 2006+ A models on Craigs List, et al. I like the AE because - well just because these 59 yr old hands are starting to show some wear and might even have some early arthritis. So not having to pull the clutch is interesting, and the paddle shifter and / or the foot shifter still offer the fun of selecting your own gears, as the mood fits.

So I've used this slicko forum to poll a few questions from this extraordinaire group of experts. And of course, would welcome your comments - especially from someone who has had both the A and AE models and can speak about which they prefer and why.

Thanks!
xI have a 2006 AE. It has been great for all around riding and touring. It is not an automatic. You have full control over upshifts and downshifts. Very important when going fast in the twisties. The deals on these older AE's are phenomenal. Buy the best new one you can afford. All these bikes you mentioned are very powerful machines. Make sure you want a very fast bike and are qualified to ride it. The refresher course should be mandatory before riding these machines. I thought I new everything before I bought mine but that course really opened my eyes on how to protect myself on the bike. I am replying because I had very similar demographics as you 4yrs ago. Its more than just the riding. Its going for your dreams, the farkeling, the trip planning and this forum that makes it an adventure beyond what happens while on the bike. Welcome back.

Ramblingrose

25,000 carefree miles on my 07 with no problems. I'd do it again.
25,000 on my 06AE also, untill some idiot turned left in front of me last November, that one is gone, I'm OK. I never had any problems or failures, nothing with that 06AE. I found an 08AE and bought it immediately and cannot wait till this 3 feet of snow melts so I can get my butt on it. From what I am reading here, I may buy another one and store it! I love this model that much.

I just bought an 08AE out the door for $10,700 plus tag and tax. Really wasn't sure about the AE,,, I liked the technology, but just wasn't sure I wanted to give up the clutch control to the computer. A test ride showed me how it worked, but I wasn't totally convinced. Since this was the last one I could get around here for that price, I went for it. I'm loving it 100% and would definitely do it again. the only time I find that I wish that clutch lever was there is when I am goofing off. Trying to lift the front wheel, reving and a stoplight, or just goofing in one way or another. My daily commute, and my normal riding i never wish it was there. It sounds like with your age and the purpose you want it for, i think the AE would be perfect,,,, that's my .02....

Thanks!
I have an AE, but I've ridden an A a lot (my buddy and I switch bikes often). They're both great bikes, maybe the pinnacle of motorcycle design to date (look at how similar the new Kawi is to the FJR; imitation is the sincerest form of flattery). You won't go wrong with either. The riding experience is slightly different. The clutch is wonderful for some kinds of riding, and I miss it sometimes, but the clutch sucks in urban stop-an-go, which is where the AE shines, making riding through LA's molasses traffic even more pleasurable.

On balance, if I didn't have an arthritic left thumb, I'd get an A, but the margin is very, very small.

I know it's the day after Friday but....
Here's the AE option. :p

Loser.jpg
LOL....and I own an AE!