Really dumb bag liner question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

isuftin

Reaction score
So, I purchased by '08 FJR1300 last year, got the side bags with the side bag bags. Basically, my dumbass question is: What is their purpose? Do they go inside the hard cases as a liner? If so, how do they fit in there? They're top loading. Do they latch in there somehow?!

It's just so you don't have to lug the whole sidecase/hardbag into the hotel room. You fill the soft bag, (don't overstuff it, the zippers tend to blow out), then it fits into the sidecase, (w/o room for anything else if it's full). It's kinda awkward to get inside the soft bag when it's in the hard bag w/o it falling out of the hard bag.

I use one on trips for my clothes and bathroom stuff. The other is loose with jacket liner, extra gloves, first aid kit, water, etc.

Note that there is a Left and a Right soft bag. The Yamaha logo faces out. They fit better if you use them that way. It is possible to pinch part of the soft bag in the hinge and the hard bag won't close correctly, so use care.

edit: They don't latch in, but there are straps that have a small q/r buckle that could be used to hold them in. I generally use the straps for the loose stuff and not for the soft bag. That's just me though.

Last edited by a moderator:
What he said ^^^^^^^^ I only use mine on trips. for the normal day to day they do not work for me. I keep them on a shelf in the garage.

I find that I can carry much more stuff, particularly soft items like clothes, when I use the bags. A big bonus is that stuff doesn't fall out all over the road when you open them to get something.

It would've been awesome if those bags could be used as storage bags for the hard bags when not in use :(

just my own stoopid opinion but I find it better to NOT use the liners.

To get your stuff out using the liners:

1- insert key

2- lift clasp

3- open case

4- remove liner

and reverse steps 1-3 before you can walk away

without liner

1- insert key

2- lift handle

3- remove bag and walk away

And the same thing when it's time to ride away

Arrive at work 5 days a week, from April to December. Take bag out of case, throw over shoulder and walk in.

Arrive at picture shoot and take bag out of case with my whole DSLR array of equipment, throw over shoulder and go to the ??? I'm going to shoot.

Arrive at hotel and take bag out of case, do not chase hard case around the parking lot, do not bang the hard case in the elevator, do not bruise shins trying to carry a fully loaded case.

Arrive at new England Dragway, take cases off, cable them to phone pole, liners don't matter, race.

take bag out of case, do not chase hard case around the parking lot, do not bang the hard case in the elevator, do not bruise shins trying to carry a fully loaded case.
true but I get to arrive sporting the fastest-silver stylish luggage. I suppose if I they were '04 silver, I'd leave them outside too :bleh:

For longer trips with overnight stays.......

I like to carry a loaded soft bag away from the bike, leaving the hard bags there for grocery store runs.

Shane

For longer trips with overnight stays.......
I like to carry a loaded soft bag away from the bike, leaving the hard bags there for grocery store beer runs.

Shane
Fixed it for you mate. :good:

I bought the bike to ride it, not wash it (just ask Jeff_Q)

My hard bags are usually, let's say, a bit dirty - but I ride with them at all times

I use the liners whenever I tour

Well the left bag and liner is clothes/stuff immediately needed and carried into the motel room

In my weekender on the pillion seat is replacement clean clothes and the dirty clothes each in a white kitchen garbage bag

Separate wet stuff from the pool or swimming hole in another garbage bag

The right hard bag always has it's liner full of tools, spares, and fix it stuff

Are Left & Right fiqured from sittin on the bike or standing in front of bike face'n it?
See, that's why they say "port" and "starboard" in the Navy. Doesn't matter which way you're facing. I forget which is which, though.
confused0006.gif

Great for 2 week trips to Asia or Europe. Park bike at airport, grab bags, throw over your shoulder and you dont even need to check them.

It's amazing what can fit in those things.

It would've been awesome if those bags could be used as storage bags for the hard bags when not in use :(
Sort'a like saddlebag cozies...? :unsure:

Do many ride without the luggage? :huh:

I ride without the luggage sometimes. Depends on where I'm going and what I'll be doing there. If I don't plan on carrying anything back from the destination, I end up just putting on a decent bookbag and I'm set.

BTW, I would totally like some saddlebag cozies :) :)