Rear brake squeal...where to lubricate

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dshane

Reaction score
Hello,

I purchased a new 2018 FJR A a few months ago and have this very annoying rear brake squeal just as I am coming to a stop. I've read on this forum about lubricating the rear brakes, but I'm not exactly sure where to lubricate. ( I know not the pads). The brake isn't stuck, the noise is just as I'm about to stop, the last 15 feet or so...

I was wondering if someone could explain it like I'm a 5 year old...or even better with pictures. Not new to FJR's but never had this before and not a mechanic except for oil and filter changers. Oh and adding farkels.....

Thank you and any help would be appreciated.

Dave.

Nothing to lubricate to eliminate squeal. Likely glazed pads or rotor. I would clean the rotor with brake cleaner on a rag. You could try scuffing up the pads on some medium grit sandpaper. Bike is new so I assume that these are the original pads and that the shims are present and accounted for.

Sometimes doing a few aggressive stops will renew the surfaces some...

Hello,I purchased a new 2018 FJR A a few months ago and have this very annoying rear brake squeal just as I am coming to a stop. I've read on this forum about lubricating the rear brakes, but I'm not exactly sure where to lubricate. ( I know not the pads). The brake isn't stuck, the noise is just as I'm about to stop, the last 15 feet or so...

I was wondering if someone could explain it like I'm a 5 year old...or even better with pictures. Not new to FJR's but never had this before and not a mechanic except for oil and filter changers. Oh and adding farkels.....

Thank you and any help would be appreciated.

Dave.
If it was mine, I'd take out the pads, check all parts are there, including the support pad (item 9) and shims (items 10).

(Click on image for larger view)

Check for dirt or corrosion, deal with any as appropriate.

Then I would smear a very light coat of suitable grease

on the backs of the pads. By "very light" I mean use your finger with a very small amount of the grease, wipe it on, then, pressing firmly, wipe it off with your finger so the rear of the pad is only just moistened, no thickness at all. You can also use this grease for lubricating moving parts (pin sliders etc), again, don't overdo it.

[Edit]

The above diagram was taken from a 2018 parts fiche. I have just looked at a 2013 manual, this shows a slightly different arrangement

There are two separate "pad springs" (items 3) instead of the support pad in the first diagram.

[/edit]

Last edited by a moderator:
Good suggestions. OR you can ride it a few more times and you will stop hearing the noise. LOL

"What honey? What did you say? No, I was listening, just say it again. I love you>"

Last edited by a moderator:
My 2016 did the exact same thing. I pulled out the pads - they were bone dry on the back. I smeared some brake grease on the back of the pads, reinstalled, and it's very quiet now. Simple fix - takes 10 minutes. Just be careful that you don't get any grease on the front of the pads!

He said squeal 🤣

BarrenAlarmingKitten-small.gif

Latest posts