Rear fender mod

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What solutions are you looking for? It's already been answered that a hugger won't help with the spray resulting from a bobed fender. That would be nice, but it just doesn't end up that way.

If you want to play the 'ride all year' game, share your annual mileage and the mileage on your FJR.

Ugly is subjective. Cutting the rear fender will result in more spooge and spray at the rear of the bike. The solutions for minimizing that are extended fenders, as WC and others have done, if that is an issue for you.

If you're simply looking for style improvements, again subjective, there are a couple available options like the Italian under tray and matching hugger. I recall them minimizing or eliminating the under seat storage, having some fitment issues and being made from fiberglass, but certainly having a unique style with a very clean look. Sorry, I don't recall the seller info, but a search on the various boards should turn it up.

Geelong Carbon Craft offers some excellent products as well, carbon fiber, very high quality, but not cheap either. They now offer a variety of colors of carbon weave. Note - depending on your screen size and settings you may need to select another brand, then scroll down to the bottom of the screen to select Yamaha to see what's available for the FJR. They do offer a hugger as well as tank protecters and a front fender extender. (I have the fender extender, fwiw.) GCC

I know we covered this not so long ago, but my seach was fruitless.

1. Use a ruler to measure where you want to cut at several points.

I selected to match the bottom line of the license plate and not move the plate.

2. Put blue painters tape on the fender.

3. Use the ruler to remeasure and mark cut points. (I went ~6" up from the bottom edge of the fender)

4. Use the ruler as a straight edge to draw cut lines. (I used the bottom of the fender as a guide for shape)

5. I freehanded the corner radiuses to mimic the original curves.

6. Use a drimmel cutting blade to make a practice cut well below the drawn line.

Don't worry about burrs being kicked up. You can knock them off with a finger nail, or just about anything that is not sharp.

7. After figuring out how the plastic reacts to being cut. Go for it.

(don't let the chuck of the drimmel touch the plastic, it can cause a scar)

8. When complete, study it and look for defects. Then make final fine tune trimming.

9. Remove tape.

10. Rub shiny edges with wet sand paper or emory board. (just to knock the shine off)

Done

My tail lense gets dirty in wet weather. But, guess what.

It got dirty in wet weather before the mod too!

After 2 1/2 years, I'll do it again on my next bike.

No one ever notices 6" of the fender is missing. It looks factory to non-owners.

They do make comments about the size of rear tire though.

B)

I selected to match the bottom line of the license plate and not move the plate.

3. Use the ruler to remeasure and mark cut points. (I went ~6" up from the bottom edge of the fender)

4. Use the ruler as a straight edge to draw cut lines. (I used the bottom of the fender as a guide for shape)

6. Use a drimmel cutting blade to make a practice cut well below the drawn line.

Don't worry about burrs being kicked up. You can knock them off with a finger nail, or just about anything that is not sharp.

8. When complete, study it and look for defects. Then make final fine tune trimming.

9. Remove tape.

10. Rub shiny edges with wet sand paper or emory board. (just to knock the shine off)

Done

Hi Liquid,

Could you post a pic ?

No one ever notices 6" of the fender is missing. It looks factory to non-owners.

B)

9. Remove tape.

Done

Hi Liquid,

Could you post a pic ?

B)

Thanks quicksilver!

My dealer here in Southern Oregon put me in touch with a local aftermarket company who is interested in using my '06 FJR as a test bike to make a bobbed rear fender conversion. But they say they are backed up with sport bike projects until October. If anything comes of it I'll post.

Just an update to those who were interested:

Well, I called Competition Werks, which is here in Roseburg and left a couple messages, but Sean, the owner never got back to me about possibly using my '06 as a prototype. And I tried calling one last time today, but the number has been disconnected. So.... I gues this avenue is a no go.

My dealer here in Southern Oregon put me in touch with a local aftermarket company who is interested in using my '06 FJR as a test bike to make a bobbed rear fender conversion. But they say they are backed up with sport bike projects until October. If anything comes of it I'll post.
Just an update to those who were interested:

Well, I called Competition Werks, which is here in Roseburg and left a couple messages, but Sean, the owner never got back to me about possibly using my '06 as a prototype. And I tried calling one last time today, but the number has been disconnected. So.... I gues this avenue is a no go.
Thats too bad... :(
I bet my dad knows someone in your area who can do this... He's in Sutherlin. He has alot of MC friends in the area.

I will call him today.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shiney Parts, PM sent!

I found someone who will *possibly* do this in your area :)

Now we need an 03-05 in the area also for this! :)

Sutherlin,OR area