Rear light wiring

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dorian

Reaction score
So here is my dilemma, I want to put three LED light strips on my top case one red for brakes and two amber for turn signals. What I don't know is how best to wire them into the wire bundle that goes under to rear seat to the rear light cluster, and how best to have a disconnect so I can take off the top case without "unwiring" the whole mess. I guess the most important question is what color wires in the bundle goes where? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here's how I did it.

https://www.fjr-tips.org/mods/hyper/hyper.html

Look at the back of the OEM connector and you'll see retaining tabs for each of the pins. Use a "pin puller" or a flat blade jeweler's screwdriver to push down the retaining tab and slide the pin out of the connector. Feed your new wire in the back along with the pin (I make a Y splice using the OEM wire and the new wire soldered in place and shrink wrapped). Slide the pin back in place and your connector and wiring harness are very sano.

Alternately you can use Positaps. Very good. They don't slice either the insulation or the wire strands like the blue taps that come with most kits.

great info thanks. so which colored wires goes to the left & right turns, the brake, and the ground? I like the posi tape idea the best.

Here's how I did it.

https://www.fjr-tips....yper/hyper.html

Look at the back of the OEM connector and you'll see retaining tabs for each of the pins. Use a "pin puller" or a flat blade jeweler's screwdriver to push down the retaining tab and slide the pin out of the connector. Feed your new wire in the back along with the pin (I make a Y splice using the OEM wire and the new wire soldered in place and shrink wrapped). Slide the pin back in place and your connector and wiring harness are very sano.

Alternately you can use Positaps. Very good. They don't slice either the insulation or the wire strands like the blue taps that come with most kits.

I put a new junction plug in the tail to go to the Kissan pulser and then out to the tail lights a similar sets of LEDs in the top box. Could almost merge this with the other top box lighting thread.

I played with it to figure out which wires went to which functions. The LEDs have very little load, so I also tapped into the running light wire as a ocnvenient and close source of switched power for the Autocom intercom.

Last edited by a moderator:
AddMore has a wire that is plug and pray that would be perfect for this application. It taps your wires up on the right side, by just plugging in the connector. The other end you can splice what ever you need light and power wise. As a matter of fact I think it would be the best way to get anything tail light wise on your bike with no OEM wire spicing.

Not affiliated or paid/compensated for this advertisement.

On minivan sliding doors they use what look like large rivets set into rubber on both the door and the jam. Maybe that would be more convenient than a connector.

On minivan sliding doors they use what look like large rivets set into rubber on both the door and the jam. Maybe that would be more convenient than a connector.
Although that sounds like a slick solution, remember that the van is never (well hopefully never) driven with the door removed. So this concept doesn't convert well to use with a removable accessory. Assuming you could find the necessary parts from an automotive source, you would have to come up with some kind of weatherproof seal to apply when the bag was removed.

The minivan door idea is very neat clean and elegant but water proofing with the top case removed would be impractical. NAPA had a four wire trailer hitch extension cable with waterproof connectors on either end (one male and one female) with 36" of wire in-between that should work perfectly. I would cut the wire to the needed length, attach to the rear light wire bundle under the pillion seat, connect the other end to the wires from the LED lights, and hope it works. The LED lights will be in in a week so we'll have to see

Givi and others have used the minivan contact concept for a while now, although not very robust when they corrode.
+1 on crudding up that connector. It was the original reason I cut the thing off and installed a good multiple pin connector.

Last edited by a moderator:
I received the LEDs from Custom Dynamics and with a little time spent soldering (the light had 26 gauge wires that had to be soldered to 16 gauge), I connected them to a harness with a quick release and then to the tail light harness under the seat. The lights work like a charm exactly as planned.
yahoo.gif

I received the LEDs from Custom Dynamics and with a little time spent soldering (the light had 26 gauge wires that had to be soldered to 16 gauge), I connected them to a harness with a quick release and then to the tail light harness under the seat. The lights work like a charm exactly as planned.
yahoo.gif