REAR RIDE HEIGHT

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b12bandit

Reaction score
GREETINGS FROM SUNNY ENGLAND,

I'm new to this forum and look forward to sharing info and experiences with you folks on here.

I have just bought a 2003 FJR which I was fortunate enough to have ridden from new. I was an instructor with a Yamaha training scheme here in UK.

I love the FJR and have never had any handling problems with it. I'm 5ft10ins tall and 230lbs.

The last test of the 'old' model by BIKE magazine was in August 05. I've just re-read it and it doesn't speak highly of the FJR. BIKE reckons the handling is poor due to the rear ride height being too low and/or the trail too long at the front.

They also reckon the bike needs muscling down into corners and has to be forced to stay down there or it will run wide.

They also say that the motor is 'anodyne' and 'anonymous' though they do concede it's a powerful unit.

BIKE think the HONDA ST1300 and the BMW R1200RT are much better bikes.

What do you guys think?

CHEERS

PETE WOOD

SHEFFORD, BEDFORDSHIRE

ENGLAND

Umm well, considering pretty much everyone here owns or is waiting for an FJR, for the most part we all think they are better than the ST1300 and BMW.

Well if you have to muscle down an FJR in the bends what must you do to an ST 1300 that is 60 lbs heavier?

Compared to an R1 yeah I suppose it would tend to run wide but compared to a Goldwing/ST 1300 etc... it doesn't

I always felt the handling was excellent for a sport tourer. And the motor...........its all you would ever really need.

I have not ridden an ST1300 although they look huge compared to the FJR to me. That doesn't necessarily mean much though, tons of people love to ride cruisers many of which are heavy and don't corner well at all. I've got a buddy who absolutely loves his VTX 1800 and it weighs close to 800 lbs. wet, it's actually the smoothest running V twin I have ever ridden. Weight isn't always a bad thing, there's nothing wrong with a heavier bike if you are mainly driving on the highway, especially when it's windy. A heavier bike handles much better in those conditions.

If I were you I'd buy what I wanted and wouldn't worry what anyone else thinks. I hear of people who bash Harley's although I know quite a few people that love them to death. So long as you are happy, nothing else matters. All bikes have their purposes, and we all have our own taste.

JS

GREETINGS FROM SUNNY ENGLAND,<snip>

I'm 5ft10ins tall and 230lbs. 

<snip>

They also reckon the bike needs muscling down into corners and has to be forced to stay down there or it will run wide.

They also say that the motor is 'anodyne' and 'anonymous' though they do concede it's a powerful unit.
Pete, welcome to the forum and congrats on your new (to you) FJR. Thanks for giving your weight in pounds, rather than stones, which would make most of us go :blink: :blink: :blink:

Oppinions, as they say, are like assholes...everybody's got one and most of them stink. I sold my R1 last year and am now the happy owner of an '04 non-ABS FJR. I will say that the FJR is no R1. The primary reason for this I believe, is because...it's not an R1! It's a 650 lb (that's 46.4 stones :D ) sport-tourer that leans heavily to the sporty side of the equation. It's very powerful even if it doesn't accelerate like an R1, and the handling belies it's weight for sure. But you know what, you're the one riding it...piss on those twats at BIKE. If you're a riding instructor, I have to believe your riding skills are good. Take the bike out to the country, find some twisty roads, and make your own evaluation. If you feel the bike turns in too slowly, that can be modified to your liking. But if you've been riding this exact bike since new, you should already have a pretty good idea what it handles like. And for a 650 lb sport tourer, it handles pretty well in my oppinion. If the suspension is shagged from age, fix it. It doesn't matter what anybody else thinks, it matters what you think when you ride it. Raising the rear ride height would certainly quicken the steering. Does it need it?? You be the judge.

BTW, I thought you guys didn't get any sunshine in England. :D :D :D

Regards,

yep 14lbs to the stone :p its the best sport tour around with or without bags and the st looks like a scooter with the bags off.

rogerfjrfaster :D

FFFFZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz......plop!

Oh come on! where the hell is the fishing emoticon?

Guys,

Thanks for your views.

Perhaps I should add that I'm also a police officer and spent 13 years on Traffic (Highway Patrol as you call it?). I have a police 'Class One Certificate' for both cars and motorcycles.

I rode the BMW K1100RT, the old HONDA ST1100 and the new ST1300 as a Traffic Officer. Loved 'em all. All good bikes.

In my humble opinion, there's not much in it between the ST1300 (we call it the Pan European over here) and the FJR. The Honda is indeed a good bit heavier but it carries the weight well and you don't really notice it on the move.

There were some handling 'issues' with the ST1300, some of which were documented in the UK press. A sudden, violent 'tankslapper' (do you calll it that? when the bars suddenly flap from side to side?) could occur, without any warning, at any speed from 90mph upwards. I had it happen to me once. It was one of those "Holy Sh*t!" moments. I believe they were recalled to have the engine mounting torque settings checked. I could say more but don't want my ass sued by Honda.

Good bits about the Honda? SUPERB build quality, it's beautifully put together. Super engine. Brilliant lights and electrics and the screen is much better than the FJR's.

One police force in UK did have the FJR for evaluation and liked it. However, Yamaha were not able to offer the same deal as Honda (I believe the police get Honda's at cost price, i.e. Honda don't make a penny profit supplying the bike. However, they do get lots of free advertising by the police using their bikes).

Anyway, back to the FJR. I concur with earlier posts. If you like it and find the handling to your taste, then it's fine. I do and I do, so that's okay. I think the motor is at least the equal of the Honda. The build quality is typically Yamaha - good in parts, average to poor in others.

I look forward to sharing more with you as I rack up the miles.

It's nearly 7am here so it must be getting late for you over there.

CHEERS

PETE WOOD

SHEFFORD, BEDFORDSHIRE

ENGLAND

Pete,

Being in the UK, have you seen the new 2006 FJR in dealerships yet? I'm assuming you do NOT have the PDP there. Just wondering when the European community is going to start receiving their allotment.

Hoping and praying Yamaha will have 06's available for demo rides at Daytona in March.

I presume you mean the clutchless, semi-automatic one?

I think it's due in UK dealers in March sometime.

Not sure if I like the idea. Only auto bikes I can think of have been the Moto Guzzi 1000 Convert and the Honda CB400A, both from the 70's. Never really caught on here in UK.