Rear Shock any difference between Gen 1 and Gen 2

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graham Downunder

Reaction score
Looking a new high quality rear shock ,I need to know " Can the GEN 2 shock fit Gen1 and can a GEN 1 fit Gen 2". Looking at a 3 way shock made to order ,maybe even a group buy .After all the best bike deserves the best in shocks

Looking a new high quality rear shock ,I need to know " Can the GEN 2 shock fit Gen1 and can a GEN 1 fit Gen 2". Looking at a 3 way shock made to order ,maybe even a group buy .After all the best bike deserves the best in shocks
Ohlins make different shocks for the Gen 1 and the Gen II and I believe there is a difference in the length of the shock shaft between the two bikes. Also the Gen 1 has room for a piggyback shock where the Gen II requires the use of a remote reservoir because there is no room at the top shock mounting area for a piggyback design. With the Gen II having a slightly longer swingarm there is also a difference in the linkage which would require different valving in the shock.

I went on the Ohlins tour in Hendersonville during EOM this last weekend so all this stuff is still fresh in my mind. If you wait just a bit the Ohlins rep told us that while he was at the main headquarters in Sweden he saw a FJR with the new Ohlins TTX electronic controlled active suspension system be tested. Be the first kid on your block to have one. Should only set you back about $4000 US dollars.