rear shock links

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 10407

Reaction score
Hi guys,

maybe I used the wrong keywords in my board search. I'm looking for new links in the deflection mechnism of the rear suspension. On stock (Model '05 - EU) they has 160mm (6.3 inch) distance between the holes middlepoints. Actually I've mount Wilbers links with a distance of 154mm (~6.06 inch) that rises the tail round 25-30mm (1-1.2 inch) on stock bike. They were inscribed to the licence papers. I use it in supplement with a modified rear shock by FranzRacing. It based on a Wilbers 641-660-00 + 625 + 629 shock. So my total tail rise is more.

Because I need extreme settings on the length, spring and valves adjusts I want to replace the links with more shorter parts. I calculate 145mm (5.7 inch). This will rise the tail again about 2 inch and I win more play on the adjusts and lean angle. Shorter links effects in more progression and let feel the spring harder. Today no harder spring is deliverable in the needed dimension.

So I have searched the german market. Meissner Mechanik, where my buddy was an engeneer, could not deliver other dimension as in catalogue. Because the manufacting process is fully automatically with CC machines. The big aftermarket manufactors do it the same way and only provides links in the dimensions like the Wilbers one I have. With luck I found a manufactor which sells also to ebay and he agreed to build some in my dimensions. Delivery was fast per COD (two weeks before christmas). But the quality was less than ground - trash! Ultra unprecise: lenght difference in the pair, non-round holes with too much play and a burr in it, they marked the pices in their own way and not like my order. :angry: As top they don't response any mail I send to them with my remonstrance. Looks like I need a lawyer to get back my cash. :angry: :angry: :angry:

So my question to the community: does anyone known a manufactor or is a manufactor who can build me the needed links in a precise way? I need also a special mark (4digit number) on it to fit with my licence papers. If we found one, can you help me to buy and ship it to europe?

As an alternative option: do you know where to get an other down clamp for Wilbers shocks? Wilbers Germany tells me on phone call they don't provide the clamp with a longer thread bolt. The US aftermarket is bigger than the european because here are too much laws that forbid mods. This is not my first choice because the progression on the shock/spring will be more less than now. But better than nothing.

Thanks for your effort!

Contact penskie, if they can't help you get what you want it probly should not be done. You want more lean? On a bike this heavy your look'n for trouble.