Rear shock shot I think

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crankshaft

Reaction score
I have an '07 with only 4400 miles on it and it seems my rear shock is shot. Workin with a friend to set up the suspension he came to the conclusion that it is shot. No adjustment seemed to help. The backend bounces quite alot. I weigh in about 185 and the passenger weighs in at.. well let's just say approx. 120 (I'm sure that's on the high end). Should a rear shock wear out this fast? Is it covered under YES? (from my google search I found multiple answers to that questions. If I read things correctly, the shock can't be rebuilt, is that correct? So what are my options Is it just Ohlin, penske, gp, wilbers? All of these seem to be $1000 or more. I really wasn't planning on a new shock right now so that's out of my price range. Are there any other options? Thanks

4400 miles seems on the low side for wearing out as badly as you describe, but if you've ridden 300+ pounds of meat plus gear...it's possible it's gone. The stock shocks are fair, but aren't that great for heavier loads.

Whether you could get it covered under YES probably is going to be a factor of whether you can convince somebody it was defective and/or your dealer going to bat for you.

The stock shocks are not serviceable. Personally, the only reason I'd use a stock one anymore is if my Wilbers were in being serviced.

Sometimes, people put their stock shocks up for sale after they've upgraded in the forum, but if you think the stock wore out with your load and not a defect...you'll likely be back in the same situation.

Many think an aftermarket shock upgrade is a more than just a replacement of the stock....they see it as improving the platform and customizing for the increased weight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Many think an aftermarket shock upgrade is a more than just a replacement of the stock....they see it as improving the platform and customizing for the increased weight.
Ignacio speaketh great wisdom.

Add to his information:

Aftermarket shocks are serviceable (can be rebuilt) so that in 25,000+ miles your next investment will be reduced to $200-$250.

Aftermarket shocks are adjustable for weight preload and riding conditions.

Though in Ireland with US import I got mine done under warranty locally, though I had to pay for the labour of installing it last Oct08 on bike with 27500 miles on board...

First reg on bike was March 2007 on a 2006 manufactured FJR13AEV© machine number 00204

Looks like I'll have to start saving my pennies fast. I still feel a shock should last for more than 4400 miles. Probably only 1000 of those miles were two up ( no extra gear)

Personally, I'd be tempted to get a second opinion about the shock being toast.

But that's just me...

Oh I definately will. But I'd say it's probably not looking good.

Where's the best place to pick up new shocks. There's not a group buy going on right now and all the named sites (ohlins, penske) don't really give prices and let me easily figure out what I need.

Just to put things in perspective, my rear shock had 35k miles on it when I replaced it. I am 250lbs, and half those miles are with a pillion. Our trip to NAFO last year was almost twice as long as the mileage you have on your bike, and on that trip we were loaded. The top case alone weighed 50lbs. Probably could have replaced it earlier, but 4400 miles seems a bit low for a replacement. ;)

So, exactly how do you determine if you need a new rear shock?

We were riding across Mobile Bay on the ferry, the H-D and the VTX were sitting there pretty stable. My FJR was rocking back and forth. Later, I compared my rear bounce to a 2007 model, my pushes down and rebounds pretty easy compared to his.

So, good way to tell? BTW, mine has about 32K on it.

I have an '07 with only 4400 miles on it and it seems my rear shock is shot. Is it covered under YES? (from my google search I found multiple answers to that questions. So what are my options Is it just Ohlin, penske, gp, wilbers?
My '05's shock was covered under warranty when it crapped out w/ about 6K? miles on it, but it was only about 2-3 months old at the time and failed catastrophically (nothing like going into the garage and seeing an oil puddle underneath your new bike to improve your vocabulary). Went through 2 more OEM shocks before I went to GPSuspensions and got a Penske at about 50K miles. HUGE improvement in how the bike handled.

Funny. My 05 shock lasted around 15k, replaced with HyperPro (and also replaced the front fork springs with HyperPro's progressive wound springs) and still love it.

40k on my stock '05 shock but I think it's getting a little wobbly and about due. I have been leaning towards the Ohlins or Penske but there is a GB posted for the Wilbers that looks like it goes through the end of May.

Just to put things in perspective, my rear shock had 35k miles on it when I replaced it. I am 250lbs, and half those miles are with a pillion. Our trip to NAFO last year was almost twice as long as the mileage you have on your bike, and on that trip we were loaded. The top case alone weighed 50lbs. Probably could have replaced it earlier, but 4400 miles seems a bit low for a replacement. ;)

Yeah, if I had a second gen I'd offer to take that "old, worn out shock" off your hands... ;)

We were riding across Mobile Bay on the ferry, the H-D and the VTX were sitting there pretty stable. My FJR was rocking back and forth.

You don't suppose that the boat rocking had anything to do with that? :blink:

40k on my stock '05 shock but I think it's getting a little wobbly and about due. I have been leaning towards the Ohlins or Penske but there is a GB posted for the Wilbers that looks like it goes through the end of May.
Really? Time to start looking between the sofa cushions!