rear shock

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smooth_Gary

Reaction score
Hi Guys,,I have 126k on my fjr shock and was wandering what is a good replacement shock for the stock one,,thanx,,Gary

You're OVER-due.

You can find low mile used OEM replacements on a regular basis for fairly cheap.

You can rebuild your stocker, that's the cheaper way to go.

For fancy-schmancy aftermarket, the popular are Ohlins and Penske. I also like Wilbers. I believe HyperPro and Racetech have shocks for the FJR too.

What you SHOULD have been doing is watching Craigslist and keeping an eye out for a used one. They don't come up very often, but when they do you can usually pick one up for around $500 - less than half of what a new one will cost you.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are due for sure. And I didn't know you could rebuild the stock ones ScooterG. Nice to know when/if I replace my 04.

Tom

And I didn't know you could rebuild the stock ones ScooterG. Nice to know when/if I replace my 04.

Tom
Conventional wisdom for many years was that you couldn't. But just recently, a few peeps have had it done. Surprised me too. I don't know all the details, and if you can change the valving, but you can change the spring and it is cheaper than an aftermarket shock.

Last edited by a moderator:
Give Suspensions by Sasquatch a call for information on rebuilding the stock shock. Since I did some minor maintenance and changed the shock Here last month, I've got almost 3000 miles on the rebuild. With a little time, I've got the dampening dialed in and am very pleased with the end result.

Rebuilding the shock is a great alternative and value verses the aftermarket.

--G

I had mine rebuilt a few weeks ago & I'm very happy with the new feel.

Race Tech has the rebuild parts ($165 excluding spring). I Had mine done

by my local shop, out the door for $300.

Another Racetech rebuild here. With a new valve and spring. Never had an aftermarket shock to compare to, but this rebuilt stocker is about 100x better than stock.

Looking to replace the rear shock on my 2011. Obviously, it's brand new, so my reason is to help lower the bike's seat height. I have searched the entire forum and researched all the different ways to lower the seat height, and I am wondering if maybe a Wilbers shock might be the way to go. I am not sure about lowering links, due to the other changes that have to be done (forks, side stand, etc) and the loss of clearance. The beemer shop in CA builds the Wilber shock and can accomodate mods for a shorter seat height, taking into account riding style and conditions, rider weight, etc.

https://wilbersamerica.com/?gclid=CIikup6TlaoCFYfs7QodIVVRzw

I know this is more expensive than lowering links, but I think it may be a better all-around solution, but I am not sure. Would love to hear from anyone that has installed a shortened Wilbers shock on a Gen 2 FOR the purpose of lowering seat height specifically, and what their experiences have been.

Looking to replace the rear shock on my 2011. Obviously, it's brand new, so my reason is to help lower the bike's seat height. I have searched the entire forum and researched all the different ways to lower the seat height, and I am wondering if maybe a Wilbers shock might be the way to go. I am not sure about lowering links, due to the other changes that have to be done (forks, side stand, etc) and the loss of clearance. The beemer shop in CA builds the Wilber shock and can accomodate mods for a shorter seat height, taking into account riding style and conditions, rider weight, etc.

I know this is more expensive than lowering links, but I think it may be a better all-around solution, but I am not sure. Would love to hear from anyone that has installed a shortened Wilbers shock on a Gen 2 FOR the purpose of lowering seat height specifically, and what their experiences have been.

Well, I guess no one has used a reduced height shock to lower seat height!

Well, I guess no one has used a reduced height shock to lower seat height!
sorry

I have not seen anyone post here or anywhere that they used a rebuild to lower seat height. Now I do know the experience with my Cruiser group which had two convential shocks with springs. You could merely purchase new shocks (progressive was what was bought) that were either 1/2" or 1" shorter and all was well if you also raised the forks in the triple tree the same amount. But all that was tested and proven a good solution by rider mechanics better than me.

I don't see any issues or detriment to changing the dogarm shock links...I know folks have lowered the seat with equal effectiveness same as stock, and I have a riding buddy who raised his '08 with links. I think I've even seen adjustable links with a "turnbuckle" in the middle.

I don't know who would know what's a safe amount of shortening the shock can be without something hitting or rubbing at the rear.

rgds

Mike in Nawlins'

re: Shorter shock to reduce the seat height: This seems like a bad idea to me. It will reduce the distance from the dynamic sag setting and the shock being bottomed out. I think that using the links is both cheaper and a better idea for that reason.

re: What kind of shock to use as a replacement: Yes, you can get an aftermarket shock for $$$ and it will outperform the stock one. If you place a great deal of importance on the suspension performance this is the way to go. According to the word on the street, you'll probably end up rebuilding that new shock ~ every 30k miles to maintain that superior performance. A lot depends on the kind of loads that your shock typically sees.

OTOH, you just got 126k out of the OE shock.

If you are generally happy with the performance of the OE, a replacement (like someone else's nearly new take-off) or a rebuild of your old one might be the best way to go.