rear suspension service

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silveryam

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
It was a week ago when I started servicing the rear suspension and because I had to order some new bearings I'm just not putting it back together. I inadvertently put a washer that was originally in a different location behind the nut that attaches the relay arm to the frame thus reducing the number of threads past the nut. About 2.5 are showing Could this be a problem that anyone knows of? Thanks for your advice!

OP & Fred,

Sounds like the washer came from another location. It will be o.k. using the washer where you have it you still have full engagment of the nut so you are good to go. You will need to still replace the washer from wence it came.

Dave

That would make me crazy. I'd pull it apart, and put it back together correctly and then put the washer where it belongs. I'd be more worried about the nut missing the washer than I would be about the nut with the extra washer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tend to agree with Dave (post #3) on this. A washer under the nut will not be a problem BUT a washer under the head of the bolt could be a problem if the sliding sleeve becomes seized and you need to use the bolt to 'extract' it.....................

I can't remember if there is normally a washer under the nut in this particular application but I do remember a poster from my original engineering training days ( a very long time ago) which showed a nut (female) running away from a bolt (male) saying "no, no, not without a washer........."

No, according to the parts fiche breakdown there is not supposed to be a washer under this nut. And yeah, that is kind of strange.

As an aside, is anyone else having trouble viewing the diagrams at most of the Yamaha OEM parts fiche web sites lately? Tried multiple browsers (Firefox and IE) and the web pages come up but the diagrams never do.

Examples here or here

(the one linked to above works but seems to use a different source for the diagrams)

Can't argue with that. It looks (from the parts fiche) as if they use a 'load spreading' nut which basically does the same job as a washer.

Continuing the aside: I normally use the Yamaha UK official website just to make sure I get the correct part number and then search around for the most cost effective deal. It is a bit of a pain to use as you always have to go through from the front page and 'tick all the boxes'. I guess it's a rear end covering exercise................

In the rear axle assembly application these are used as spacers not washers. There is virtually no side force applied to the rear axle that would require distributing the load of the nut or head of the axle bolt with a washer. i would put the spacer back where it belongs or you will have something out of alignment if even just a slight amount. I'm not sure you would feel the rear tire 1/8th" off center, but they put it there for a reason. And by looking at the replacement cost, $6.93 each, I'm thinking they are very proud of them too.

Hey Donal i am in Dereham until wednesday am what you up too?
R
Hi Richard,

Tomorrow will be spent in front of the telly watching Italy v Scotland which will be a gentle warm-up for Ireland kicking the shit out of England at rugby union. Really enjoyed this evening watching Wales giving it to France (Wales 27 - France 6).

If things go my way I will be free on Sunday.........................

Don

Sorry for the delayed respnse. Thanks for everyones input! The washer in question originaly came from under one of the linkage arm nuts. Since the nut on the misplaced washer has a full nut grip with a few threads to spare I opted to leave it alone since its such a pain to remove and re-torque the nut. I just got a new one for the linkage nut.