Rear tire size

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonny

Reaction score
Try as I may I've 'searched' thru as many of the discussions and have not found any info on what I am looking for. Seeing as my tire life is in the 7K range and I usually replace both tires at the same time I was wondering if the 190/50ZR -17 fits the rear.

I have seen the thread on the Marathon 880 rear in 170/60VB-17 and that could be a consideration as my speeds usually are no more then 5 mph over the posted limit. So my thought is that more rubber may last longer .. but that's my thought and why the question. I don't have experience and wonder if others have done it or even if it's a good idea. I used to go one size up on my BMW's in the past but these were the older airheads and one size up never hurt anything and in most cases helped with handling and braking.

My 'ride' is an 06 ... bought it in August of 06 and as of last week had 14K miles on it. So I am getting close to needing my second set of 'skins'.