Rear Tire

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ian

Reaction score
I put about 5,000 on the Avons after leaving Iowa and will replace the rear in the next few days. I've been very conservative with the throttle, so the front looks good and the rear has about 1/3 left. Still a long way to AR so I called Powersports in Reno as suggested. They said the Avon 46 was back ordered but could get a stone 020. I had these as originals and they weren't too bad so I ordered a rear, $197 + $35 to mount and balance-more than home but what the hell.

I'll ride the Sierras for 3-4 more days and then stop for the replacement. I'll set up an Avon replacement in Harrison AR in a couple of weeks.

Beats working! Ian, Iowa

I hope you got more than 5000 miles + a ride out of a rear tire. I just went to a Avon from the BridgeStone, at 7500. This was riding 2-up pulling a trailer. BTW there was about one quarter tread left.

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember this varies ALOT by your driving style and more importantly the type of roads, heat, etc. I broke my bike in in Dall-ass and only got 4500 on the stones because of concrete rain grooved roads and "chip-seal" asphault. I've got 5000 on the avons in San Antone which is mostly smooth blacktop ( with tar snakes for thrills) and I'm not even halfway to the wear indicators and we've had a HOT summer. Just some thoughts, have a great safe ride brother !!! :D

Bobby

If you are coming to the Sierra, I got the Avons from the Motorcycleproshop.com

Pretty good price too

$224 for both tires. Not mounted, but there are plenty-o-shops around to do it while you wait. They got the tires for me in 2 days.

Unless you don't want to change plans... B)

Last edited by a moderator:
I ordered a set of Avons from FJR goodies..I called them on Monday and received them on Friday...$222 plus $8 to ship them here to Sacramento, California from Washington. I paid $50/tire to have them balanced and put on the bike. These tires are A W E S O M E !

My local dealer couldn't get the Avons (rear was back ordered), so I went with the Pilots. I also just installed a tire changer and wheel balancer. I've been changing my own dirt bike tires for years but never though to tackle the street because of balancing. Always thought it would be more difficult and expensive than it was. I finally read a few articles that explained how, so now I'm going to do my own. With my bikes, the sons bikes, brother-in-laws bike, and fiends bikes, it won't take long at all to pay for itself. Not to mention the convenience. If I had a little more experience with the new equipment, I would suggest bringing the tires to my place and we could mount them, but I need some time yet to make sure this is going to work.