Rear touring trunk aerodynamics

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As others have mentioned; discussed a bunch in the past. It seems to depend on where the rider has the windshield height set & also if there is an oversized windshield. Had a Givi E360 on an 05 with a Rifle Touring W/S normally all the way up & no issues. I've now got an 07 with a stock W/S & a Givi 52 & no issues. I have noticed now that I do feel a swirl of air about my helmet that seems to move side to side with the W/S in the mid to lower positions. I really haven't felt anything that concerned me as far as stability at any speed. Soon I will be installing the Yamaha Touring W/S & the Givi 52 will stay on. I will report on that later in the summer after a few trips.

Infamous top box wobble. Been discussed since the Early Days. I finally got to experience this effect this weekend, but with the pillion seat full of camping gear the effect disappears.
Went to Americade with the topbox and no pillion,strapped the sleeping bag to rear seat and no wobble. I have experienced it with nothing behind me on the seat. It doesn't take much to make the wobble go away.

Phil