rear turn signal lens

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dobias

Reaction score
Does anyone have a source or method that I can use to change the yellow rear turn signal lens to red?

I want to increase the brake light surface area without adding extra lights.

I'd use one of the conversion electronic modules that use the turn signals for brakes, too.

Does anyone know if it's legal everywhere to have the yellow turn signal lights come on with the red brake lights when braking?

dobias <_<

It should be ok in ALL states to have your yellow turn signal lense also act as a brake light. It's a federal standard. Something to the effect of that the only color lights allowed to show to the rear are red or yellow. The standard does not differentiate between taillights/brake lights/turn signal lights.

As for changing your yellow lenses to red, I have not hear of any source or way to do that. Doubt there is one, as unlike the Harley crowd, there is not a lot of demand for that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, here's how to turn your lenses red: Go to the model section at your local Wal Mart. Get a can of the Candy Red spray paint. Really. This is made for the models. Take your lenses off, clean and dry. Spray the INSIDE. Spray a couple of light coats first, replace and check if they are red enough. If not, add coats untill you get the look you want.

This is for real. My best friend did this on his yammy roadstar in 2001. I just helped. Anyway, it's 2006 and they still look great. And RED.

Toecutter,

https://ridesafer.com/store/item/fpel/LED_L...ion_Module.html

& Google "turn signal conversion".

SkooterG,

All of the turn signal conversion suppliers found on Google (turn signal conversion) say that Federal laws require amber turn signals & (I believe) red brake lights. I know, they have an axe to grind.

I think I'd leave the turn signals yellow & have them light up yellow with the brake lights, if only I was certain of the legality. I'd hate to have to leave it parked by the side of the road because of some Keystone Kops we have locally.

dobias <_<

An invention waiting to happen:

LED 'bulbs' are mounted in the turn signal stalks. The LED's change color depending upon applied voltage. <=10 Vdc = amber. >12 Vdc = Red.

A dropping resistor is placed in line with the turn signal switch (L or R) to that makes the LED glow amber. On the other hand, the brake switch runs at full voltage and the LED burns RED.

Just the same way my laptop computer uses the same LED to indicate battery charge status...

Of course a fella could feed the brake or turn signal signal into a uProcessor that would in turn determine the voltage output to the LED's and thus change the color output between red or amber. That way you Iron Butt guys running in the middle of cold winter nights with heated grips, vests, pants and extra lights wouldn't drain the wimpy alternator output down so low that all you would get is Amber lights...

I tell ya, I could make a fortune..

my next feat of derring do--- the 1kW FJR alternator. :bigeyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Turn signals can be red. Just go to any parking lot and look at the tail lamp/turn signals. You will see both.

Turn signals can be red.
But I doubt that brake lights can be amber. It sounds like a good idea, especially with the ambers lighting up as brake lights, but probably afowl of the law.

LED 'bulbs' are mounted in the turn signal stalks. The LED's change color depending upon applied voltage. <=10 Vdc = amber. >12 Vdc = Red.
A dropping resistor is placed in line with the turn signal switch (L or R) to that makes the LED glow amber. On the other hand, the brake switch runs at full voltage and the LED burns RED.
Good news: Two color LEDs are common. They change color by either changing polarity to the device ( 12V one end, gnd other end = red; gnd one end 12V other end = green) or changing bias by using +12V and -12V. That is minus 12V as in 12 volts below ground kind of -12V.

Bad news: Amber ain't a good LED color. You can get a bright (very) yellow but no bright amber.

The switching circuit is really simple. Drop me a PM if you are interested.

Alan

Just change the lense to red, then get a trailer-towing wiring converter (the kind you use when your vehicle has amber turn signals), interupt the wiring prior to the bulbs, change the bulb in the turn signal, rewire your rear end like it was your trailer.

Well, I tried looking info up in the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. That was an excercise in futility.

I did however find the following in the Arizona Revised Statutes. And states generally base their motor vehicle equipment laws on the federal standards. Though I don't know if they are required to follow the federal standards in whole, or if they can deviate.

Anyways, an excerpt from A.R.S. 28-939:

A. A motor vehicle may be equipped and if required under this article shall be equipped with the following:
1. A stop lamp on the rear that emits a red or yellow light, that is actuated on application of the service or foot brake and that may be incorporated with a tail lamp.
(Bold and Italics mine)

That entire statute: A.R.S. 28-939

Other states SHOULD be the same.

So there! :p

SkooterG,

Thank you for researching the tail light question. I'm impressed!

Now I can get a module to use the rear turnsignal lights as additional brake lights.

dobias <_<

This is one of those subjects that each of us has to decide for ourselves, but personally, I wouldn't consider for a minute changing the color of the yellow rear turn signal lights.

I think the yellow turn signals are MUCH more visible and noticeable to approaching vehicles than red turn signals, especially on a bike. I have no desire to increase my odds of being rear ended by some clod in a cage while I'm waiting to turn.

Lee in the Mountains of Northern California

leebunyard,

Yes, I agree, the addition of yellow brake lights next to the red brake lights will also be brighter without burdening the alternator or hanging on more lights.

The modules I refer to doesn't stop the normal turn signal function.

All in all, I like the idea better than changing the lens color. I still wonder why there are suppliers that claim red is mandatory for stop lights. I wish they would give a reference when they make such statements.....if they could.

dobias <_<