rebuidiing 06 FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gadi

Reaction score
GadisFJR1.jpg

GadisFJR2.jpg

[SIZE=12pt][/SIZE]

My bike needs a transfusion and organ transplant.

As many of you know there has been a lot of discussion about 2nd gear transmission problems, ignition problems and drive shaft problems. Well I have all of them. Yamaha is rebuilding all of it, about $4,000 on their dime, actually the tech that is doing the rebuild including cylinder head. Told me he is modifying something in the transmission. He is one of the techs that Yamaha goes to when they suspect a design flaw and asks him to figure it out. He tells me that he has had a special part machined which will solve the 2nd gear problem. I asked him what it is exactly. He does not want to tell me-yet. He says he wants to file the report to Yamaha first, because he does not want it posted all over the net. Not yet anyway.

Gadi

My bike looked like that once... except my throttle bodies were still attached & justa' swingin'! Quite disturbing looking, isn't it?

when my 05 went in for cyclinder head ticking surgery, caused me to drink heavily for a week. If I faced your situation I might be on some sort of tranquilizer medication.

Sounds Like you may have the right tech to do such a P.I.T.A. job. Hope like hell he puts it all back tight and right. But I would not fault ya for losing a few nights sleep over it. plus would not recomend rolling too far from home for the first couple of re-break in rides.

Wish you the best

At least it's winter!!! and they're fixing it under warranty. I didn't think there were any Yamaha shops left in T.O?? Which one did you take it too?

As an aside.................interested in a SS1000 next year??

I'll bet someones getting their 2nd gears undercut.

Last edited by a moderator:
At least it's winter!!! and they're fixing it under warranty. I didn't think there were any Yamaha shops left in T.O?? Which one did you take it too?As an aside.................interested in a SS1000 next year??
The bike is at Kahuna Powersports, and yes I did forget to mention that they are putting in new clutch plates as well -they are also being replaced under warranty. Yamaha must think I am going to sue them or something like that. They did not bat an eyebrow. I hope when I get it back that I am not given a box saying "here, this is what was left over" Do you think they will wash and wax it too and give it back with a full tank of fuel LOL. Actually when I first saw it like this I thought I would need a sedative, but the manager just smiled and said "this must be your first one" What's that mean, first bike, first birth of a kid. In any case he told me not to worrry it will be better than new. Ever heard that one before?

That bike is eviscerated...last time I saw something like that I was watching a Werewolf in London movie. The body kinda looked like that after the attack. :dribble:

Kahuna really took off after Cycle World's two locations bit the dust. My son purchased his ZX6R there and we have never had a problem with their service. Needless to say, when I saw the pic I could have sworn it was Kahuna, no room to move anywhere! Good luck on the fix, let us know how it works out.

John