recall serviced and gas tank empty

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjrbird

Reaction score
I picked up my bike from a Yamaha dealer last Saturday after leaving it there for recall service the day before (Friday). Immediately I notice the gas dial flashed with only one bar left. I ran the bike home and it hesitated after a couple miles. I filled up the tank with 6.2 gallons! I remember I checked it in with over a half tank full. With ignition and ECU replacment, was it really taking that much gas, say for testing the bike? Or my bike has been taken out for a spin in the mountain, lol? I figured half gas tank would go for a 120 miles at the very least. Does it sound like a normal routine at a dealer? The first time I called the service writer took all my information and said order the parts to get it ready. He never called me back. I called him a week later and he apologized that he misplaced and lost all my information. He took my info again and promised not to lose it. A couple days later I called and talked to a different person and he said the parts ready and to bring my bike in. I'm not sure to bring in my bike again for other services. What do you think?

It is not uncommon for a reputable service center to test drive after some maintnenance, however a half a tank of gas is excessive and sounds very suspicious. I would be very hesitant to take it back to that dealer un less they can offer a reasonable explaination. It is also good to always note the mileage when dropping off any vehicle for service.

Well First I would check the mileage to see if they used it for a try it before U buy it test bike.. Then I'd stop by the showroom (not the mechanics area) with 3 gallons of gas in a leaky can and let 'em know I fully intend to stand there till it all dripped out on the carpet.

Or, they could cheerfully reimburse me for the fuel they stole.

But I'm an arsehole

I would demand an explanation and my gas replaced. That is complete BS if they rode you bike that far. You have every right to be super pissed. Sounds like a shady dealer.

Before assuming a nefarious plot, consider they may have drained the tank to make servicing easier? Mileage at check-in should have been recorded on the service record. Does it look like someone went for a long spin, or did they just forget to replace the fuel removed before they took off the tank?

Before assuming a nefarious plot, consider they may have drained the tank to make servicing easier? Mileage at check-in should have been recorded on the service record. Does it look like someone went for a long spin, or did they just forget to replace the fuel removed before they took off the tank?
This. I've had my tank drained before to make it lighter/easier to lift off, and they forgot to put the gas back in. By the time I went back to get more gas from them (of unknown quality), it's just not worth the $5-10 worth of gas I lost.

Don't they record the mileage when the cycle is checked in? What was it compared to the recorded mileage on the service timet when you picked it up?

I wonder if that's the same dealer who rented me a used FJR for the day a while back.

You know, FJRs are kind of fun on those moto-cross courses. :D

Seriously, I wonder whose tank your gasoline really ended up in, after they drained it "to make removal easier." They probably didn't dump it down the drain or throw it on the ground, did they? :dribble: I'm with Intech on this one.

I was handed a sheet of paper recording what services were done and the mileage on the odometer. Not before or after service mileage. I didn't pay attention to the odometer reading prior to deposit the bike but next time I would. :). My trip 1 recording somehow shown 80 miles which does not make sense because I reset it at the last time fillup. Perhaps a tech resets and rode it for 80 miles. The explanation of gas being removed from the tank sounds more reasonable. But does replacing the ECU and ignition require gas tank remove? I don't know.

I would check the odometer first.

Then make them give you an explanation.

If they are shady, never go back.

Let everyone you know about it.

The bottom line is you definitely need to at the least call and ask what happened to 1/2 tank of fuel.

Your decision as to whether or not you choose to continue your business relationship should be dependent on their response.

Used to work at a shop, very common for the guys to drain the tank if it made the job easier or involved the fuel. They'd drive cars their right next "donor" and fill there's up. When the job's done they put a half a gallon if that and call it day.... The honest guys doing it the right way get spare gas containers and fill those up and refill the donor when its over. Though with most cars having excessive gas tank capacity its fallen out of practice. Logistically it was a pain storing and moving that much gas around the shop. No one ever really complained so the problem was never resolved. Quit working there and moved into medical, Lord if i thought how they scammed clients bad they could learn a thing or two from how people abuse insurance :headbonk: ... Thats another story :glare:

This. I've had my tank drained before to make it lighter/easier to lift off, and they forgot to put the gas back in. By the time I went back to get more gas from them (of unknown quality), it's just not worth the $5-10 worth of gas I lost.
That has happened to me, however, the milage was only 2.5miles after service. They forgot to replace the fuel. When I noticed my fuel gauge reading "very low" I asked the question and was given the above reason. They replaced my fuel (full tank).

I'm not saying this is common practice, an honest mistake or dirty pool (if the customer doesn't notice, more for me thinking), I just saying I've learned to check my milage and bring the bike for service with low fuel and the reverse - uhm, are you going to put any gas in cause you've got gr8 service - they do and I roll ;)

John Kennedy said "Forgive your enemies, but remember their names." If this were me, I'd probably give them one more chance. Everyone makes mistakes from time to time. Its not 100% clear that there was a theft of gas involved here.

Always record the mileage and take digital pictures of your vehicle when you drop it off so you can prove any damage they may cause. I never thought about it before, but it is easy enough to include a picture of the odometer and fuel gauge. Since you do this right in front of them, they will be very careful to return your vehicle in the same condition as when they got it.

They drained it to make it easy to service. Fill your tank and then go out and loosen the bolts and lift your tank up, and you'll see why they did it. The FJR is a major pain to work on with a tank full of gas, and I'm speaking from recent knowledge and doing a plug change with a full tank. A major pain in the rear and I won't ever do that again, that tank weighs a ton.

I was handed a sheet of paper recording what services were done and the mileage on the odometer. Not before or after service mileage. I didn't pay attention to the odometer reading prior to deposit the bike but next time I would. :). My trip 1 recording somehow shown 80 miles which does not make sense because I reset it at the last time fillup. Perhaps a tech resets and rode it for 80 miles. The explanation of gas being removed from the tank sounds more reasonable. But does replacing the ECU and ignition require gas tank remove? I don't know.
Yes. The gas tank has to be lifted to access the wiring connectors that go to the ignition switch. They probably siphoned some fuel out to make it a bit lighter...