Recent rash of Target Fixation by cagers.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HaulinAshe

Reaction score
As of today, it's not my imagination. I am noticing a recent and unusual rash of target fixation by cagers. They become fixated on my FJR and cross the doubles to my side in the turn, weave abroad as I settle in behind them, I've even had a couple put DOWN their cell phones to look at me (my bike, we know it ain't me).

My ride clothes have not changed that much. In most cases they are not close enough and I am way too fast for them to be attracted by details like coiled audio cords that I've added etc. There's really no change to either myself or the bike that would warrant such a noticeable change in behavior.

Now I'm certainly not saying that these behaviors are unusual. I'm saying that the frequency/mile of cagers becoming Target Fixated on my FJR have tripled in recent weeks.

I wonder if it's because the summer/fall foilage is gone and the Fast Blue is standing out more against nature's background?

As of today, it's not my imagination. I am noticing a recent and unusual rash of target fixation by cagers. They become fixated on my FJR and cross the doubles to my side in the turn, weave abroad as I settle in behind them, I've even had a couple put DOWN their cell phones to look at me (my bike, we know it ain't me).
My ride clothes have not changed that much. In most cases they are not close enough and I am way too fast for them to be attracted by details like coiled audio cords that I've added etc. There's really no change to either myself or the bike that would warrant such a noticeable change in behavior.

Now I'm certainly not saying that these behaviors are unusual. I'm saying that the frequency/mile of cagers becoming Target Fixated on my FJR have tripled in recent weeks.

I wonder if it's because the summer/fall foilage is gone and the Fast Blue is standing out more against nature's background?
They just think you are crazy for riding in December :lol:

I can't help but notice that when I talk to friends about my bike they really are interested in the gas milage savings over car travel. I'll bet that this past summer's record-high gas prices have generated more interest in vehicles that provide good gas milage. The fact that motorcycles are fun makes them even more interesting. And that's on top of the fact that the FJR is a damn fine looking example of two-wheeled transportation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats what I was gonna say!

But more to the tone of: "That crazy idiot must be freezing his buns off"

But if the passenger knows about bikes they'll say, "Nay, He is on a pre 06 FJR, His lower area is nice and toasty" :D

Can't say I've so much noticed cager target fixation as I've noticed a LOT of sloppy, over the yellow line driving lately, whether I've been on my bike or in my car. I try to always ride in my lane unless I'm passing, and try to practice my lines and turn intitiation even when I'm in my car, so I don't have a lot of respect for those kinds of careless right of way violations. Been noticing a lot of it lately.

Yeah, and it keeps attracting all those good looking women too. :D

Seems like more and more lately not paying attention. They just invoked the new law here in NC that its now illegal for teenagers (under 18) to use cell phones while in a car ( except when speaking with parents).... but interestingly, while that might help a bit... the older ones are worse for it... its those types that run on 'autopilot' and dont really know where they are while driving ... whatever distraction is available...radio, makeup, magazine, cellphone.... seems drivers lately are more and more careless and unaware than just a few years ago....

anyway... stay safe out there folks.... its up to us to keep outta trouble, cant depend on them.....

Mosa

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't help but notice that when I talk to friends about my bike they really are interested in the gas milage savings over car travel. I'll bet that this past summer's record-high gas prices have generated more interest in vehicles that provide good gas milage. The fact that motorcycles are fun makes them even more interesting. And that's on top of the fact that the FJR is a damn fine looking example of two-wheeled transportation.
That's what got me onto 2 wheels. My Silverado1500 was chewing up my wallet. Rode a 06 Yamaha Majesty scooter for a couple of months & then upgraded to a dealer owned 05FJR. The Majesty is an awesome bike for commuting (400cc, 70mpg, 16gal storage capacity) and I would recommend it in a heartbeat. Cagers would constantly stop to ask me questions. Granted the leap from Majesty to FJR is a mighty one (especially for a beginner rider as I was) but for the same reasons mentioned in previous post... the FJR consumed me :yahoo:

Jeff,
It's a rather simple answer............

Your bike is just too dam clean!!

Beal
+1 on this one. Maybe they were checking the reflection to see how their hair looks.

On my two most recent rides in the twisties of Mulholland Canyon in Los Angeles I've almost come face to face with young guys in Audis and Mazdas "drifting" through these tight turns. I rented the DVD "Tokyo Drift" (good movie, actually), and these public street boneheads must think they're the next Vin Diesel (cameo drifter in the movie).

Bottom line: watch out! If you hear the distinctive sound of a "tuner" car ahead of you, assume they're going to be sliding across the yellow line straight into your lane.

YUP! Cagers think we're crazy for riding at all! <G>

Not too many biker around here in the past few day.... got all the way up to 50F tpoday... was down to 19F last night... and I'm only a few miles east of DALLAS! <G>

I'm going back up to Frostbite Falls Ohio where it's supposed to be cold! Then I can legitimately gripe!

Mary

Mary