Recommendations for bike cover

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvtoride

My Indian name is "Pants On Fire"
Reaction score
Howdy, looking for recommendations for a bike cover for those times when my bike is sitting in the driveway. I want a cover that is, either waterproof or very water resistant. Also one that vents well.

If you could recommend sizing of said cover that would cover saddlebags & top box would be very much appreciated. To note: I am not looking for a half cover.

I guess that I should say that I'm not looking for one of those high dollar Geza covers or anything of that sort. Price is an issue of sorts since this will be my Christmas present from my mom & she's fairly monetarily challenged like a lot of us.

Thanks in advance.

If you normally garage the bike and just need something for the road or occasional driveway use, theBilt Motorcycle Coveris super cheap and works well. It will withstand over-night-duration rain and thundershowers, and not allow the seat or electronics to get wet, but if you want it to be bomb-proof waterproof, just wash it in NicWax durable water repellant wash. I used the cover on a cross-country trip. It packs small 10"x8"x4.5" in an included zipper pouch. Covers the entire bike with windshield, bags and trunk. Uses straps under the exhaust (let em cool), and has a good fit on the bike that stays in place even in storm winds. I bought the XL. Seriously not fancy, but very functional, and only $20 on sale. I found it to be especially nice for keeping things out of sight while on the road.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've looked at these. Perhaps this is just what I'm looking for. & the bike is ordinarily kept in a shed in my backyard. I don't have a garage. It's a pain to put it there, too. I need to take the saddlebags off & turn in the mirrors to get it through the fence.

Needless to say, sometimes it won't get put away immediately following a trip. I'd like to be able to cover it.

I've got a Nelson-Rigg 1/2 cover (doesn't go all the way to the ground. It works great. Convers everything fro teh nose to the tail including the sidebags. Not sure if it would work with the top case on, though. Rolls up into a "fanny-pack" type pouch.

Thank you for the info. I'm not looking for a 1/2 cover tho.

I have the Yamaha FJR cover that I use for a dust cover over the winter and at work, that I like a lot. Its not a great travel cover since it doesn't pack very small but it fits perfectly and has a zip out extension for your top box. It’s a very sturdy cover made of thick material and should fit your needs that you've described. Its not inexpensive but worth the price for the perfect fit, great looks and apparent durability.

I use a Dowco Guardian Weatherall Plus cover which is very nice. It will not flap itself off the bike in a strong wind. No complaints on my part. Here is a link to see what it looks like : https://www.dowcopowersports.com/Brands/Guardian/SearchResults/tabid/203/List/0/ProductID/412/Default.aspx?txtSearch=%2850003-02++50003-03+26036-00+26034-00++26034-01+50035-00+26014-00+50008-00+50038-00%29&SortField=UnitCost+DESC%2cProductName
Gunny!!!
I'm on my third Dowco cover. :yahoo: I bought one, then the other two are courtesy their warranty. They have great customer service. It’s averaging about every two years I get a new one. Mind you, I use mine every day at work, I cover my bike in the parking lot, rain or shine. It does get wet in the rain (so does the bike but not as bad) and I have to open it up at home to dry it out, or it’ll get yucky, like any wet cover.

I’ll keep asking for my new warrantied Dowco cover until they say enough. ;)

Good luck in your quest for a cover.

I went with the dowco ultra lite plus this time for the feej.

I've used the more expensive dowco for other bikes in the past. One word of caution to the OP. Pretty much no cover, no matters expense, is going to keep the bike from being exposed to condensation forming due to the significant change in temperature when left outside.

My experience anyway, is that condensation will lead to corrosion. I appreciate your circumstances and the difficulty getting the bike in your enclosure, but for me, it wasn't long before corrosion started showing up.

Happy to say my feej has always been garaged. Good luck with it, certainly presents a problem for us bike owners.

A cover that will be used outdoors on a long-term basis needs to be a lot more durable than most motorcycle covers we have talked about above. TheMotoshell, Speedway, Cycleshell or Bike Barn are intended to store the bike outdoors and withstand wind, rain and weather on a sustained basis, and keep the fabric OFF the bike finishes. They have supports and sometimes floors and air-space around the bike. They also cost about $400. If you don't have a garage, that is the kind of non-contact cover/ shelter you really are looking for.

I agree with the condensation comment, and very few covers breathe enough. For temporary use, the covers at Walmart are economical, nylon, waterproof, about $20. Some Dowco's and Nelson Rigg's have vents to allow some air flow, but you may not want to spend the bucks for temporary use. The OEM Yammy cover is expensive and heavy. But with all covers, if they get wet you have to dry them out before storing them away.

I think that I'm going to take a closer look @ the Bilt cover. I think that It'll work for my needs.

I think that I need to be more clear. This cover is only meant to be used temporarily. My bike doesn't stay outside for long periods. Also, it is a well ridden '04 with 85,000 miles on it. I'm not terribly concerned about corrosion, anymore.

I would like to thank everyone for all of these suggestions.

I think that I'm going to take a closer look @ the Bilt cover. I think that It'll work for my needs.

I think that I need to be more clear. This cover is only meant to be used temporarily. My bike doesn't stay outside for long periods. Also, it is a well ridden '04 with 85,000 miles on it. I'm not terribly concerned about corrosion, anymore.

I would like to thank everyone for all of these suggestions.
Try Walmart!! They have generic covers that are great for "temporary" use. My girl got me one for when we go to the camper on the summer weekends. It is very water resistant...for the few times it has sat in the rain down there over night it has been totally dry underneath. It folds up very, very small and compact and I have also used it to travel for weekend trips. I think it was about 20 bucks, so for that kinda $$$ the value is awesome in my experience. I haven't tried yet but i'd be willing to bet you could stuff it under the seat if you had to.

Good luck in your search!

I am using a Princess Auto (Canadian Harbour Freight) XL cover I got on sale for $20. Fits great over the bigger screen and the saddlebags, pretty waterproof, has vents and a cloth lower section for hot pipes. I would recommend it!

-worney

You could build yourself a small carport/bikeport out of pvc and a tarp for cheap. I had a friend that built one 15-20 years ago. I wouldn't be surprised if it's still around. It's probably been through a few tarps as you would imagine. He made it big enough to ride the bike in if you ducked, and he fixed it to the ground with cinder blocks and rope so it wouldn't blow away.

I would stake it instead of using blocks, and if you leave some space between the tarp and the ground so air can get through it should stay nice and dry.