Recommendations for front fork upgrade

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yamahlr

Reaction score
I have the Wilbers rear shock but didn't go for the front springs because I had the warranty issues w/ the front forks (which seems o-k now) so I'm looking to upgrade the front end. Thinking of the Racetech GoldValves w/ their front springs. Any thoughts or recommendations?

Believe me Warchild, I salivated over that farkle for about a week, but think it's kinda out of my financial reach right now.

You might want to give Dave Hodges a call @ GP Suspension. I had another bike that he worked on with new springs and revalve that turned out great. At about $350, I thought it was a good deal. He knows his shit and has been around a long time. This time of year they travel around to the races and set up shop to work on the privateer bikes.

503-723-7793 or [email protected]

Bill

Yamahlr - I just completed putting in the Race Tech springs and went for my first ride yesterday AM. To be honest, I did it more because I like working on the bike than because I need a tighter front end. The springs (1.1kg) were $119 and swapping springs and changing the fork oil are, in my opinion, within reach of the "average" wrenching Joe.

Not sure if you've read about free Sag, static Sag and the rest, but my static sag measured at the Total Control class was 56mm (too much) and my initial reading yesterday after putting the springs in was 22mm (too little!). I definately notice the difference with just the spring swap. More planted and solid feel. Probably for the fork oil change next year or so I'll go ahead and get and install the new valving. Good luck on making up your mind!

Jim

I put the RaceTech springs and compression and rebound gold valves in mine and really like the way it turned out. I made quite a few changes to the shim packs on the valves and basically ended up back at the RaceTech recommended settings. The RaceTech parts are pretty adaptable for tuning changes which is what I was after so I could dial in the damping to what I wanted.

The RaceTech springs are straight rate which I like better. I tried the Wilbers and 05 Yamaha springs and liked the RaceTech springs best. You will have to cut the stock spring spacer to use the RaceTech springs which have a longer installed length. The RaceTech springs are also smaller on the OD so they can rattle inside the fork tubes. I cured this by putting a 5 inch piece of 1/3 PVC plastic pipe inside the springs as a floating alignment guide on the ID. No noise at all. RaceTech may have started suppling springs with the OD matching the OEM springs in the mean time so this may not be a problem.

Jestal - one of the folks here on the board has a primer on installing the springs/valves under consideration. I emailed him and he was very helpful with information - one piece of information is that the springs listed for the FJR on the Race Tech site are in fact the wrong ones (43mm vs 48mm). I ordered the 48mm springs and they don't rattle. Of course he said he put an extra washer I believe under the spring for support - in my haste and the friggin heat last week I put the extra washer on top. When I hit a bump at low speed I can hear that (I believe) ping on the side - don't think it's a problem.

I'm at work and the email with the correct spring order number is at home - I'll post it this evening. I'll also post a picture of what the component parts look like once you take the fork apart (fork cap, spacer, washers, springs, and the damping rod). I personally find it helpful to be able to see what I'll find when I take something apart.

Edit - using the correct springs for the FJR also give you a spring rate up to 1.2 vice the .9 (I believe) that the "listed" springs give you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the suspension tips

Traxxion Dynamics is pretty close to where I live .

Last edited by a moderator:
Traxxion does have other options besides the slightly pricey AK-20s (although there are good arguments in favor of their value). They did my forks for me and they were virtually PERFECT right outta the box...and I'm VERY picky about my suspension. PM Sportryder here on the forum. He's a tech for Traxxion and will go out of his way to make sure you're a happy Traxxion customer. I bought my Penske shock through Sportryder and Traxxion as well.