Recommendations for trade show custom molded earphones

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rfulcher

Reaction score
I plan on going to the IMS show in Charlotte and might even drop by the show in Daytona if I go to the races. I am considering custom molded earphones to replace my ER6i earphones.

I am looking for recommendations for companies and/or specific models that people have and would recommend.

I plan on going to the IMS show in Charlotte and might even drop by the show in Daytona if I go to the races. I am considering custom molded earphones to replace my ER6i earphones.

I am looking for recommendations for companies and/or specific models that people have and would recommend.
I have used and have always recommended to my Starcom Customers Marylin Navia of Now Hear This (www.plugup.com) Great service even after the sale. Performance of the product is excellent as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have big ear molded ear plugs with built in speakers for 4 years now. They are very good and I highly recommend them. I don't think they do the shows anymore, but you can find them on the web. Thye run about $300 a set (maybe slightly more now)

I have big ear molded ear plugs with built in speakers for 4 years now. They are very good and I highly recommend them. I don't think they do the shows anymore, but you can find them on the web. Thye run about $300 a set (maybe slightly more now)
+1 for Big Ears BC-1C, they are pricey but worth it!! here is the link

https://www.bigearinc.com/Products/BE-1C.aspx

You might want to try www.earfuze.com. They send you the materials and earbuds to make your own for $40.00! Now I realize they probably don't compare to the $200-$300 dollars ones, but I have had two sets, one in each helmet and they have lasted so far for over a year. The trick is not to use all of the material they send you, or they will get too big and the helmet will be tough to get off without pulling them up out of your ears. They work and you save big bucks!

Gene

I also use Big Ear BE-1C and they still do some of the shows since they were in Toronto this year. I'm not sure if they have a listing of shows on the website or not.

https://www.bigearinc.com/Products/BE-1C.aspx
+1 on the Big Ears! I got mine at a rally in Galveston tx back in 2008. LOVE THEM!

I would not recommend Precision Labs in Florida and the Challenger II custom ear molds.
I'll second that.

Now I have the Westone CR1's.
Why not Precision Labs??

I have a pair for me and for my wife. Been very pleased with the fit and quality. After years of use I had a short in one and they promptly repaired and shipped them back to me at no charge.

https://www.bigearinc...ucts/BE-1C.aspx
+1 on the Big Ears! I got mine at a rally in Galveston tx back in 2008. LOVE THEM!

Wish I could afford them for me and wifey. Etymotics hurt me...foam earplugs hurt after awhile on a long trip...$$ are just toooo much for two people.

I have used and have always recommended to my Starcom Customers Marylin Navia of Now Hear This (www.plugup.com) Great service even after the sale. Performance of the product is excellent as well.
Christy and I both went with Now Hear This earphones about 4 years ago and still use them. Both sets developed shorts at the plug connection and had to be fixed. My ears get sore wearing them all day but Christy has no problems. No fault of the plugs in my case, I just have sensitive ears :( . Marylin does not return emails but is a good phone communicator. I had my pair repaired by a local hearing aid vendor who used silicone in the plug to reduce the chances of another short in the plug down the road.

You might want to try www.earfuze.com. They send you the materials and earbuds to make your own for $40.00! Now I realize they probably don't compare to the $200-$300 dollars ones, but I have had two sets, one in each helmet and they have lasted so far for over a year. The trick is not to use all of the material they send you, or they will get too big and the helmet will be tough to get off without pulling them up out of your ears. They work and you save big bucks!

Gene
Gene, right now I have the highest noise reduction disposable foam earplugs I can get...something like 36 or 37 dB reduction.

What is the reduction for these moldable earbuds/earplugs?

Christy and I both went with Now Hear This earphones about 4 years ago and still use them. Both sets developed shorts at the plug connection and had to be fixed. My ears get sore wearing them all day but Christy has no problems. No fault of the plugs in my case, I just have sensitive ears :( . Marylin does not return emails but is a good phone communicator. I had my pair repaired by a local hearing aid vendor who used silicone in the plug to reduce the chances of another short in the plug down the road.
I have had two sets of custom earplugs from Now Hear This, fitted four years apart. I didn't opt for speakers in the plugs that Marylin fitted me with, but I did want to put in my two cents on comfort.

One of the bits to remember is that these are uniquely fitted to your fit and comfort, and this can be a bit more involved than one might think. Your ear canals change shape slightly as the muscles in your jaws and scalp flex, which can cause subtle differences in fit. What might feel fine in a fitting booth at a trade show, might not be ideal after wearing a helmet for hours. For me, this wasn't apparent until getting several days into a multiple day tour, when my left ear would develop a tender spot. This didn't really bother me often enough to be actionable.

When I replaced them four years later (I used them constantly, and they were getting a bit grungy), I described the particulars to Marylin and she said it would be no problem to adjust for. This latest set from Now Hear This is comfortable even after a week on the road, making me wish I'd thought to mention this to her after I got the first set.

Bottom line: After sales support is rather important. Custom earplugs might not always be the best fit right out of the trade show booth, which could only become apparent after you have had the opportunity to put some time in them...

Etymotics hurt me...foam earplugs hurt after awhile on a long trip.
Didn't your set come with multiple different tips you could try? Have you looked into custom molded fits?

I use the Christmas tree shaped/cone shaped tip. The foam tip plug shape did not work for me at all.

Neither of these work well for an all day ride...let alone all day for multiple days...