Recommended Gear for "Style" and Protection for Women

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harfooz

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I don't see many sport touring bikes around here at all -- everything is either a cruiser or sport bike. What kind of gear looks "right" for the FJR for women, if the criteria are: it's got to be protective, it's got to be made for women for a good fit, and it's got to look good?

Do you all wear full race suits for the most protection, or can you get good protection from separate pants/jackets?

I'm sold on my Sidi B-2 boots -- had a small tree limb (about 1" in diameter) fly off a logging truck and javelin my left ankle on the protective ankle cup. Paid for themselves right then and there.

We're new to the FJR world, and my wife has lost a bunch of weight, so we're selling off all her old jackets, and I want to get her some gear that will offer the most protection. However, she is not interested in looking like the Marshmallow Man (like she does when she wears my Tour Master Venture pants). Chaps may look good, but I don't see much in the way of armor in them.

Is something like the Femotto or similar race suit out of place on a group ride? I've only done one big group ride -- a toy run last Christmas -- and was the only non-cruiser out there.

'fooz

Although spendy, my wife looks good in the armored BMW City Pants (link). Actually, they're made in both men's and women's sizes and I look good in them too! :D

I don't see many sport touring bikes around here at all -- everything is either a cruiser or sport bike. What kind of gear looks "right" for the FJR for women, if the criteria are: it's got to be protective, it's got to be made for women for a good fit, and it's got to look good?
With the above criteria, anything she gets will "look right".

Do you all wear full race suits for the most protection, or can you get good protection from separate pants/jackets?
Full race leathers offer the best/most protection but obviously isn't practical all the time. I wear an armored jacket and pants.

Is something like the Femotto or similar race suit out of place on a group ride?
Don't worry about how the stuff looks to *other* people. Wear what offers you/her the best protection/most comfort. Anyone who cares what kind of gear you're wearing or how it looks isn't someone you want to ride with anyways.

Hi folks,

I'm sold on my Sidi B-2 boots -- had a small tree limb (about 1" in diameter) fly off a logging truck and javelin my left ankle on the protective ankle cup. Paid for themselves right then and there.

We're new to the FJR world, and my wife has lost a bunch of weight, so we're selling off all her old jackets, and I want to get her some gear that will offer the most protection. However, she is not interested in looking like the Marshmallow Man (like she does when she wears my Tour Master Venture pants). Chaps may look good, but I don't see much in the way of armor in them.

Is something like the Femotto or similar race suit out of place on a group ride? I've only done one big group ride -- a toy run last Christmas -- and was the only non-cruiser out there.

'fooz
plate.jpg

Seriously, though, there's a lot of choice out there for textile jackets, and women look good in almost any of the women's gear (my wife can attest to this, guys try to talk to her when she's in her motorcycle gear all the time). Colors are available, and that's all down to personal preference.

Of course, getting actual women's gear is important, as men's gear generally won't fit properly, and that can mean it won't function properly OR look good.

There's also a good selection of leather jacket for women, although from searching with my wife, we found a lot of leather jackets that are more 'motorcycle look' than 'motorcycle function/safety.' This doesn't mean that you can't get a good leather jacket for a woman, simply that you have to take a look (something that can be hard to do online!) to determine if this something built to provide protection, or if it's a soft, thin jacket that just has a biker 'look' to it.

newenough.com has some great stuff, although I think my wife ended up getting her jacket at a dealership, as she looked and looked online but was never sure how things would fit. She ended up getting some Joe Rocket Alter Ego riding pants, which I think very good on her, and have proven to be versatile. In fact, I ended up getting the men's version, and I'm pretty satisfied with them (my only real complaint is that they are too long, a problem that could easily be remedied by a set of snaps to hold them if I rolled them up a little...something the women's version has, and I foolishly expected the men's to have!)

Olympia Moto Sports. We just went thru this after the crash destroyed the protective gear we were wearing at the time. My wife found that these folks made "stuff" that fit her and still looked good. I looked at the construction and was very happy with what I saw. So far we're very happy.

jim

Olympia Moto Sports. We just went thru this after the crash destroyed the protective gear we were wearing at the time. My wife found that these folks made "stuff" that fit her and still looked good. I looked at the construction and was very happy with what I saw. So far we're very happy.jim

Love my Olympia mesh jacket. Cool enough on hot days but warm enough for cool days, with the waterproof, windproof liner. Armor is substantial but not in the way when wearing the jacket. Can take out the armor and machine wash the jacket. (Yes, us girls like to wear CLEAN motorcycle gear).