Redding area guys that can help me out?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Northwoods Snowman

Reaction score
I'm in need of a huge favor if someone is able to help me out. I have a seat that Seth Laam made for me and we have been struggling to get it right. I'm looking at making a trip out to Redding to visit my wife's sister and I would like to bring my seat along and take it over to Seth and get it squared away. Problem is that we would be flying and I can't check the whole motorcycle on the plane! Bummer, right? I'm wondering if anyone out there might be willing to let me use their Gen II to get this seat fitted? Or does anyone know of a place that still rents Gen IIs?

Weather is my other concern. I have until April 30 to use my Delta vouchers so does Redding get snow in the winter? What timeframe is suitable to be able to ride a motorcycle between January and the end of April? We don't have a date set yet as this is hopefully going to be an important piece of the trip.

Feel free to PM me your phone number and we can talk over the phone.

Many thanks in advance!

Tim M.

Can't help with the Gen II but I can tell you the odds of snow in Redding are slim to none. The only time the central valley floor gets a dusting of snow is around Christmas and it would be gone in a day.

We do ride year round but mid Feb, March or April is better to avoid frost in the shade and things are real green at that time unlike the brown of summer.

Looks like you are getting another old fashioned winter again this year, eh.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bugnatr, thanks for the info. Hard to imagine green with frost. You betcha we're having a good ol' fashion winter! Freaking -7F going to the in laws Thursday morning for Thanksgiving.

Big john, I need a Gen II since I have an 08.

I'm not arguing, but the seats are the same so why the requirement for a Gen II?
Come on now Big John SD, you and I both spent many years in the United States Military! Have you ever won an argument with a Minnesotan?

It's like teaching a pig how to sing, it is a total waste of your time and it just annoys the living hell out of the pig! jes' sayin' and nuff said, Hoorah!

Last edited by a moderator:
John has the right idea...GEN II & GEN III are the same seat wise. Increases your chances of finding a bike and IIRC Gregory lives about 10 minutes from Seth...

Good luck!

--G
This is all well and good Northwoods Snowman but we FJR Forum Folks do have to warn you that Gregory is weirder than a two-peckered hooty Owl and stranger than a three dollar bill, plus he has an intense and abnormal sexual attraction to Goats! jes' sayin' and nuff said, BEWARE!

John has the right idea...GEN II & GEN III are the same seat wise. Increases your chances of finding a bike and IIRC Gregory lives about 10 minutes from Seth...

Good luck!

--G
This is all well and good Northwoods Snowman but we FJR Forum Folks do have to warn you that Gregory is weirder than a two-peckered hooty Owl and stranger than a three dollar bill, plus he has an intense and abnormal sexual attraction to Goats! jes' sayin' and nuff said, BEWARE!
I didn't use to be that way, it was living in the damn desert heat that made me this way (well that and hanging around this place) I would be happy to pop on over to Seth's so he can rework your seat, but I don't know of any local FJR rentals for test riding.

As for winter weather, last year it was snowing on this day and today I was just out raking leaves in shorts and a tee shirt. This is our rainy season and so far, we are actually getting some decent rain. It will be cold enough for the next couple of months (not Minnesota cold mind you) that winter gear may be needed, especially once you get out of the valley floor and into some elevation. Like Doug says, you can find some ice/slush on the less traveled roads into Feb.

Also, AFAIK, only United flies into and out of Redding, so you might want to check on that as it has been awhile since I flew out of here.

Greg

Guess I knew the seats are the same but are the ergonomics the same? I'm 6'7" so having the same foot position is rather important and I don't know if the angle of the frame supporting the seat is the same and what not.

Winter riding gear isn't a problem, I've got that, just need to find I bike that I can wear it on! lol. Greg, correct me if I'm wrong but you're volunteering to let me use your bike for static testing only, correct? That's at least half the battle. Tried calling the Yamaha dealer in Red Bluff and they don't rent anything; sales guy was kind of dumbfounded when I asked about renting an FJR, and had to ask his manager if they did that. Haven't had much time to keep digging.

I have to fly Delta because that's who I have my vouchers with. Thinking of that I have to figure out where the closest airport that Delta flies into is too. Got my work cut out for me.

Tyler, that would be great, we'll have to see if we can work something out.

Sacramento (SMF) about 100 miles south on I-5 is your closest Delta served airport.
Awesome, saves me looking it up! Thank you. Now, I wonder if I would be able to pick up a bike down there....somewhere....maybe. Something more to look into. Too bad I'm doing this in the middle of winter. *sigh* Granted if the weather was excellent I probably wouldn't get any time in with the family.