Reducing seat height on 07

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TooManyToys

Reaction score
I am close to buying a new 07- one thing that concerns me is the seat height. I can't quite get both heels on the ground. (The seat was set at it's lowest position).

Is there an aftermarket seat out there that would take care of this?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not aware of an aftermarket standard seat that's going to lower position significantly. You'd might have to go with a custom Russell Day Long, Mayer, or others. Search +mayer +seat for discussion on that.

You might be able to lower the bike a bit with different dog bones in the rear and possibly moving up the fork tubes a bit. Again +lowering +bones in search for discussions on the past.

I am close to buying a new 07- one thing that concerns me is the seat height. I can't quite get both heels on the ground. (The seat was set at it's lowest position).

Thanks
The Corbin seat is a viable option also.

I'm vertically challenged with a 29" inseam. The Corbin seat put my feet more solidly on the ground on my 2006 Feejer.

I'll put the stock seat back on to get a measurement of both & give you a kickback.

You will feel the difference the 1st time you sit on it, much more comfortable for me.

Thanks

I'm vertically challenged with a 29" inseam. The Corbin seat put my feet more solidly on the ground on my 2006 Feejer.

I'll put the stock seat back on to get a measurement of both & give you a kickback.

You will feel the difference the 1st time you sit on it, much more comfortable for me.

Thanks, at at 30" myself. I just don't feel comfortable carrying a passenger if I can't put both feet down securely.

Thanks

Thanks, at at 30" myself. I just don't feel comfortable carrying a passenger if I can't put both feet down securely.
OK, here's the facts on my 2006 FJR:

On center kickstand: Corbin seat measures 1/4" shorter than my stock seat. Both seats are 13 1/2" wide. Stock seat is more rounded in the seating area & the Corbin has more butt support.

Off the stands & level, the Corbin seat measures 29 3/4" total height & the stock measures 30".

My bike has stock shocks & tires. The rear shock is set on soft level.

I can't put both feet flat on the ground but, can definitely touch ground easier. Must be the way the Corbin seat is cut.

Funtastic motorcycle!!!!

The Corbin does away with the seat adjustment plastic gizmo, They use their own seat pan and not the Yammie pan, so you gain ( lose ) a little extra seat height. If you can almost flat foot solo, with a pillion mounted the bike will squat more.

I'll measure my Corbin later today to see if it matches up with the height posted.

I ride an 06 and have a 28 inch inseam. I have not had any problems and there is no way I can flat foot on this bike. I have not heard of any after market seats that make up much for thoses of us with short legs. As long as I can get part of my foot to touch, I can ride. It is just a matter of learning what works for you.

I ride an 06 and have a 28 inch inseam. I have not had any problems andthere is no way I can flat foot on this bike. I have not heard of any after amrket seats that make up much for thoses of us with short legs. As long as I can get part of my foot to touch, I can ride. It is just a matter of learning what works for you.
I too have a 28" inseam and feel pretty comfortable with just the balls of my feet touching the ground, even with a pillion. I back the bike and don't have a problem. As long as you have strong legs, its just a matter of getting used to it. My FJR is an '05.

Thanks
I spent $600 on a Bill Mayer seat for my O3. The guy who made the seat explained that he couldn't lower it appreciably and still maintain the long distance comfort. I went for the comfort, which is awesome now that the seat is broken in.

For a while, I rode with just the points of my toes touching the floor. A little scary at first, but one can get used to it. Now, I have the dog bone lowers, and the bike is down about 3/4". The drawbacks to that are that the pegs will scrape sooner and the bike is closer to vertical on the side stand. The alteration to the geometry also prevents casual use of the center stand. It CAN be used, but takes two people when one should be able to do it with ease.

Jill

The seat height on 06-07 can be lowered another .4 tenths of an inch by trimming the rubber bumpers on the bottom of the seat. I did it on my 06 and it helps with no problems.

Sourmash said:
The seat height on 06-07 can be lowered another .4 tenths of an inch by trimming the rubber bumpers on the bottom of the seat. I did it on my 06 and it helps with no problems.
Forgot to add, also take out the sliding plastic height adjustment tray which also helps lower the seat.

Thanks

I manage quite well with the Corbin over the stock seat having a 29 inch inseam but if you want to flat foot the bike with suspension mods you will be riding quite a different bike that the standard FJR.

Most of the ST are taller than the FJR so you are on the right bike. I would look at different boots rather than modifying the suspension.

The Corbin does not allow the use of the standard under seat bracket which is one of the reasons it feels lower.

Thanks
I spent $600 on a Bill Mayer seat for my O3. The guy who made the seat explained that he couldn't lower it appreciably and still maintain the long distance comfort. I went for the comfort, which is awesome now that the seat is broken in.

For a while, I rode with just the points of my toes touching the floor. A little scary at first, but one can get used to it. Now, I have the dog bone lowers, and the bike is down about 3/4". The drawbacks to that are that the pegs will scrape sooner and the bike is closer to vertical on the side stand. The alteration to the geometry also prevents casual use of the center stand. It CAN be used, but takes two people when one should be able to do it with ease.

Jill
You can also get the sidestand bent to get more lean... one of my friends is a very good welder... a bit of heat and some muscle worked well...

My bike is lowered so much I took the centerstand off... <G>

But since most of my riding seems to be freeways <<< :eek: ( >>>>> that doesn't make much difference...

But hey.... I'm flatfooted! Which comes in really handy in gravel parking lots (which I REALLY Hate!) slipped in a few too many times..

Just to prove my point, my son called Friday night... slid the bike on some gravel turning a corner, but at least he was going slow... like 25...He's determined NOT to get any tickets in So Cali...<G> Think he broke a turn signal and a mirror, not too bad.

said there's not suppposed to be gravel in Northridge.... yeah, right...<G>

Mary

You can also get the sidestand bent to get more lean... ... yeah, right...<G>Mary
Another way to "adjust" the kickstand is to take a die grinder, or even a dremel, and grind off the kick stand stop. Even if you DON'T lower your bike, I would recommend this highly.

I was able to lower my '06 at the Penske after market shock about 1/2 inch. I wouldn't lower ANY 2nd gen FJR without getting the bike to lean on the stand a little more.

I also have the Corbin seat, and I can get a lot more foot to the ground. With the lowered Penske, more "sag" adjustability (Penske again), the Corbin seat, and the Heli triple clamp, this bike feels more like it was made for my 5'6" frame with 28 inseam. Also, I'm going to "raise" the forks the same amount as the drop in the shock (or a set of lowering dogbones) to keep the geometry the same.

Just getting the Corbin seat made a huge difference. I checked with the aftermarket guys and they basically said "either comfort or height, not both". I got height.

Some upholstery shops will work on motorcycle seats and with the stock FJR seat it is possible to shave the foam down near the upper front of the seat and dish out the seating area and then recover. I would think one should be able to gain at least an inch or more of clearance. Going this route if not wanting to spend the bucks to upgrade to an aftermarket seat is a good way to go. If you do this have them add some pudgee closed cell foam in the seating portion while their at it. I am in the process of altering my own on my 06. Hope you resolve the problem. PM. <>< B)