Reflective material on helmets

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris white

Reaction score
So I was looking at the AMA web-site and under the section showing different state laws for on & off road motorcycling I see that several state laws reference having reflective material on the helmets,

For example helmet laws in Vermont's say: "Required by law-reflectorization required (Each helmet shall have reflectorized surface or have securely affixed thereto reflectorized material on both the left and right side of such helmet. Such reflectorization must cover an area of at least four square inches on each side of the helmet." and for the helmet law in New Jersey it says: "Required by law-reflectorization required".

So my question is, do any of you Iron Butters have experience with this? And should I be concerned about getting pulled over in the middle of my 49 state adventure because I didn't have a reflective surface on my helmet?

thanks

I don't know about specific laws in the States but its seems like a good common sense thing to do. If you find you need some while in Massachusetts, stop by. I have some left over from the side case reflective kit.

Good luck on your trip.

Russ

You are not required to have something reflective on your helmet in Oregon. Just a chin strap, a DOT sticker, and a hard shell.

That is the first time I have seen it too. That would really suck, going on a long distance ride only to get pulled over at noon because you don't have 4" of reflective material on your helmet. Especially if only a few states require it.

As for the practicality of the law, sounds like a good idea. Only problem I see is, I have yet to see an attractive sticker for a helmet, and yet to see one with it built in.

So my question is, do any of you Iron Butters have experience with this? And should I be concerned about getting pulled over in the middle of my 49 state adventure because I didn't have a reflective surface on my helmet?
Yes, I am aware of this (certain states requiring relectivity on helmet). I have personally never been stopped for this since I keep something reflective on my helmets anyway for safety and not b/c it's law. IIRC, a friend of a friend was stopped in MD for another reason and was given a warning to add the reflectivity. None of my LD friends have mentioned this... and I think they would since anything that causes a delay is usually noteworthy!

As an aside, does the AMA thing you're reading say it's LEGAL to cross a double yellow line in VT? I learned this last year during the BMW Intern'l Rally directly from a VT LEO.

AGirl

PS. I like the Helmet Halo for non-flip helmets, Solas tape is excellent as well.

Not sure about the passing on a double solid line thing in Vermont. If they are allowed, it's probably not just m/c's. Would be a sweet thing though....

chris

49 days...and counting :)

I bought 1 1/2" wide reflective tape from Wal-Mart last year and put a strip on the back of my helmet. It's cheap and work great. It was in the automotive accessory section.

As an aside, does the AMA thing you're reading say it's LEGAL to cross a double yellow line in VT? I learned this last year during the BMW Intern'l Rally directly from a VT LEO.
Until last year in Maine, no passing with a double line was only suggested and not enforceable, except in school zones, RR crossings, intersections, etc. NOW it is the law.

News to me. Tho' haven't spent much time in VT, I ride through NJ relatively often and it hasn't been an issue. It sounds like one of those laws that is on the books but not enforced. It's a nice idea anyway, but I wouldn't worry about getting pulled over for it. At least, I don't.

PS. I like the Helmet Halo for non-flip helmets, Solas tape is excellent as well.
I had a Halo on my old Shoei. It fell off while I was riding PA route 666. I'm not making that up.