"Refurbished" GPS's-Worth a Look???

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NSFJR

Reaction score
I have been looking for a reasonably priced GPS, preferrably a Garmin, with the current version map installed or included. At a few sites I visited I saw the models that are at the front of my wish list, a Quest, Quest2 and a 2720, all listed as refurbished, and warrantied for the standard one yesr by Garmin.

Any opinions on these rebuilt units????

Just be aware that there are internal battries for memory in these units that are not replaced if they don't have an issue, and for one to replace a battery after 30 days or less out of warranty can cost as much if not more then the difference of a new unit.

Battery have a shelf life and the ones that are used and NOH may have been abused by heat, cold, over charge and who knows what.

You get what you pay for and there is no such thing as getting something for nothing.

Garmin and all the dealers have to cover their cost and best thing you can do is work up a relationship with your local GPS retailer that will take care of you after the fact if there are issues after the fact.

Just my recommendations, I know some don't agree but that's just the ways things are. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a refurbed 2610 as a gift for my wife from getfeetwet.com. I feel pretty confident about it but I'll know better after Xmas...

Just be aware that there are internal battries for memory in these units that are not replaced if they don't have an issue, and for one to replace a battery after 30 days can cost as much if not more then the difference of a new unit.You get what you pay for and there is no such thing as getting something for nothing.

Garmin and all the dealers have to cover their cost and best thing you can do is work up a relationship with your local GPS retailer that will take care of you after the fact if there are issues after the fact.

Just my recommendations, I know some don't agree but that's just the ways things are. :)
Garmin refurbs are warranted 'as new'. Same warranty, new cases, new documentation, fresh software. With the exception of the sticker on the retail packaging they are completely indistinguishable from a brand new unit.

They call theirs NOH (Newly OverHauled) - no risk, 'cause they're covered same as new.

The internal battery of a unit (do the latest models have them?) will be of the same age as the same model of the unit from the same batch that you may purchase as new. So as long as what you buy isn't from the dark ages, THAT isn't an issue. And given that you get Garmin's one year warranty with NOH units, I don't understand the reference to 30 days in your post.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just bought a Garmin 2610 and have just sorted it out after a week. It was sold as a refurb unit and while it works fine now it was short some of the software that the manual referenced. I'm not sure what went wrong as all packaging was sealed and labeled correctly. A geek friend of mine helped out in getting the necessary software off the Garmin site to down load the maps and now it seems fine. It does carry a full warranty just like a new one. It also came with the Rev. V8 mapping software.

It was a good deal and has only the features I'm likely to need. Need to get the mount for the bike but better figuring out how to use it in the cage first I suspect.

$429.00 CDN from a reputable dealer was a fair price I thought.

I have been looking for a reasonably priced GPS, preferrably a Garmin, with the current version map installed or included. At a few sites I visited I saw the models that are at the front of my wish list, a Quest, Quest2 and a 2720, all listed as refurbished, and warrantied for the standard one yesr by Garmin.
Any opinions on these rebuilt units????

A few years back I took the plunge on a refurbished Garmin SPIII, it looked brand new. It came with all new accessories, the latest software, and new warranty cards, etc, and came in a factory sealed box. I ended up selling when I wanted to upgrade, and I have heard no complaints from the buyer in the year that he has had it.

My advice is to make sure you buy from an authorized Garmin dealer, refurb or new. I have had really good luck with TVNAV.com. Standard disclaimers apply with mentioning a vendor...no relationship or financial gain from recommending them.

PTP

I purchased a Garmin 2720 refurb over a year ago. Absolutely no problems and I saved $100.00 The unit was refurbed by Garmin and came with the same warranty as a new unit. No brainer.