Relay arm bearings...they are a pain in the A**, but man, they gotta get done.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WTP07

Reaction score
This was from my '08 with ~90k miles on it.  I have to assume they have never been done.

VscaZY2.jpg
6kqCqzj.jpg

New bearings, seals and collars going back in.  

Also, that M10x75mm bolt will be an M10x70mm bolt when it goes back in.  All ya had to do was put it in the other way!

WTP07,

There is a rider on another FJR forum who creates grease passages and installs Zerk fittings in the Relay Arm.  All bearings get replaced, if needed, so there is no firm set price; it depends on what is needed.  He does good work, and at a good price.  Renewing the Relay Arm grease using Zerk fittings will extend the life of your Relay Arm indefinitely, as (I believe) most bearing failures are due to a lack of good fresh grease.  Yamaha should have such good ideas.    B)     

Right this moment that forum is off-line for maintenance, but it should be on-line in the near future.  You may need to log in to see the pix there.  You can either send him your own Relay Arm, or find one to rebuild for him, or he may obtain one for you, as you wish.  He may have a Relay Arm finished for you already, but contact him directly for more details.

https://www.fjriders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=4161&p=100493#p86742

WTP07,

There is a rider on another FJR forum who creates grease passages and installs Zerk fittings in the Relay Arm.  All bearings get replaced, if needed, so there is no firm set price; it depends on what is needed.  He does good work, and at a good price.  Renewing the Relay Arm grease using Zerk fittings will extend the life of your Relay Arm indefinitely, as (I believe) most bearing failures are due to a lack of good fresh grease.  Yamaha should have such good ideas.    B)     

Right this moment that forum is off-line for maintenance, but it should be on-line in the near future.  You may need to log in to see the pix there.  You can either send him your own Relay Arm, or find one to rebuild for him, or he may obtain one for you, as you wish.  He may have a Relay Arm finished for you already, but contact him directly for more details.

https://www.fjriders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=4161&p=100493#p86742

Yes, my understanding is that they are a couple hundred bucks.  I will just replace the bearings.  Now that it has been out once it will be a LOT easier to get out the second time.   I appreciate the link though.  I'm not saying they aren't worth it, it's a pretty slick setup for sure.  

Yes, my understanding is that they are a couple hundred bucks.  I will just replace the bearings.  Now that it has been out once it will be a LOT easier to get out the second time.   I appreciate the link though.  I'm not saying they aren't worth it, it's a pretty slick setup for sure.  
WTP07,

If you have a Relay Arm in good shape, the cost will only be for the work, not hundred$.  The price goes up (but reasonably) if you will need new bearings, or wish to buy a "spare" Relay arm to be rebuilt, while you still ride.  Then you could just swap out the old one for the new one with Zerks, at your place.  Found an image of new red grease going into a Relay Arm with Zerk fittings.

FJRrelayarm3.png

The biggest pain is dealing with the center stand and supporting the bike.  The rest is relatively easy, just takes time to do it.

Use a good marine grade moly grease, and it will be the last time they need grease.  You'll just be checking them periodically, but the grease will still be good.  I use it on my dirt bikes, the FJR and the Wing.  

Just did mine tonight. Easy, took about an hour to strip, inspect & put back together. I have a full spares kit, but nothing wrong. Bike has done 130,000km ( I have done 100,000 of them).