Remote Preload; How much do I need it?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sammon287

Reaction score
I have an 07 FJR1300 with a paltry 13,500 miles on it. For what it's worth, the first 10k came in the first year, but kids and work have prevented me from riding like I used to. I'm pretty sure the stock shock is toast as I first noticed in a long sweeper with expansion joints that the back of the bike felt like a pogo stick with almost no damping. I have not ridden much since that day, but noticed the same feeling again when I really wasn't thinking about it. It looks like Race-tech and Ohlins are my only replacement options that retain the factory remote preload, but they cost far more than a Penske without it. My wife only rides with me a couple of times a year and it is never spontaneous, so I could make the manual adjustment. However, my solo riding varies between unloaded commuting to fully loaded multi-day camping. Is it possible to find a happy middle ground with preload and then just use compression and rebound to affect the ride characteristics? Have any of you regretted losing the "soft-hard" lever after upgrading your shocks?

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to this point no... I can't say as the stock unit will ever be missed :)

The Penski unit is far and away a whole lot better deal.

Though adjusting is somewhat tedious till ya find the sweet spot, It's well worth it. Wrote down what I need one up.

Now to get the wife loaded erm.. load the wife and cases and see where it needs to be..

:jester:

Compression and rebound affect the dynamic response while the preload sets the static ride height,

Yes you can stiffen up the ride to try and stop bottoming but you will run out of travel at some point and it will be very hard on your butt.

All the remote preload does is make it very convenient to adjust the ride height based on the load.

You get to turn a knob instead of losing your knuckles when the c-spanner slips.

Even so if money is tight then the Penske is a nice unit, just tell them the range of weights (single commute to two up touring) your are expecting so that they mount the right spring.

You might want a scissor type wrench, I'm looking at that for the Versys.

see Preload spanners

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
Your situation and riding conditions don't warrant remote preload in my opinion. The Race Tech and HyperPro shocks are available without remote preload. So you have at least three choices.

I have the fully adjustable Hyperpro. Never missed the OEM shock. For 03 they were less then desirable.

Guys, despite what their website says, RaceTech only offers one shock for the FJR - the most expensive option with remote preload. Just FYI.

Guys, despite what their website says, RaceTech only offers one shock for the FJR - the most expensive option with remote preload. Just FYI.
I don't belive this to be correct. I know someone who recently got a Racetech for his '08 and it does not have remote pre-load. I think he got it from MRP Motorsports in MD. After starting this thread, I ended up deciding on an Ohlins with remote pre-load when I found a very good price on one: $860 instead of $1,150 MSRP.