Removal of Front Cowling

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sidejack

Reaction score
Trying to remove the front cowling from a 2009.

Have pretty much EVERYTHING removed, except for a single bolt that resides behind the Yamaha logo-disk.

Can't figure out how to get there from here (seems pretty stupid when all I'm trying to do is eliminate the chatter when the windshield goes up/down -- lube didn't work -- vibration is incredible

Any ideas?

Thanks -- Sidejack

Reach in the slots where the support arms ride up and down with a pair of needlenose pliers and yank out the rubber welting that gets bunched up and causes the noise and vibration you're experiencing.

Yep....I'll be tweaking the Flux out of my Capacitor for the first time soon, too. Gotta install the HID's and a some other chit. I'll bump it up to about 1.23 Jigawatts from it's current 1.21. Should help out a bit with the velocity through that space/time continuum.

FAQs board, GenII cowl removal.

If you're trying to take the nose cowl off by itself, then you're doing it wrong. The nose is the last piece the come off the bike. Basically: inner dash panels, lower sides, glove box, windshield, nose (with upper sides still attached.)

Last edited by a moderator:
FAQs board, GenII cowl removal.
If you're trying to take the nose cowl off by itself, then you're doing it wrong. The nose is the last piece the come off the bike. Basically: inner dash panels, lower sides, glove box, windshield, nose (with upper sides still attached.)
Great post and info, Walt.

Personally, though, I think yanking the weatherstripping out is an easier solution. :p

Edit (to add): Why the hell aren't we out riding???

Was just thinking the same thing. Just finished yard work, need a shower, then I'm off to get groceries, and I've got a gear-for-sale post to work up. Life is just too busy sometimes.

Might get groceries before the shower, let them see what a real man smells like!

As for OP problem, he didn't describe the problem well enough for me to change his tactic, thus the answer to what he actually asked. You, OTOH, have to go all helpful and crap. Wazzup wi'dat? Who are you and why are you using Howie's login?

Weather stripping IS removed (prior to me removing:

Left & right side panel, left & ride side cowling

Bottom cowling

Left & right side inner panel

Windshield

Beginning to think I should live with the chatter of the moving windshield -- but something binding --

Speed of movement (compared to my business partner's 2008) is a LOT slower in movement and I can see "metal shavings" on the slides --

Hence -- get the damn plastic off to investigate the "windshield drive slide rail"

Still looking (enjoy the comments though)

I can see "metal shavings" on the slides
:blink: :dribble: :blink: :dribble:

She's Gonna Blow!!!

image710556g.jpg

Weather stripping IS removed (prior to me removing:Left & right side panel, left & ride side cowling

Bottom cowling

Left & right side inner panel

Windshield

Beginning to think I should live with the chatter of the moving windshield -- but something binding --

Speed of movement (compared to my business partner's 2008) is a LOT slower in movement and I can see "metal shavings" on the slides --

Hence -- get the damn plastic off to investigate the "windshield drive slide rail"

Still looking (enjoy the comments though)
By all means read the link Walt provided.

From my memory......

The mirors must be removed.

Headlamps unplugged.

The "W" bracket removed from the U-bracket (attached to the windshield motor).

The bolt behind the Yamaha logo opens the trap door for the U-bracket.

Then the 4 phillips screws and the nose piece is free from the front stay.

I'm guessing you don't want to hear that I remove my nosepiece leaving the side fairings in place. I just remove the inner dash panels, the allen bolts along the fairing seam and the two fasteners on the inside of the nose. YMMV.

When I installed my driving lights a month ago I took the opportunity to lube the operating shaft because my windshield would occasionally chatter when raising.

Thanks gang -- the key seems to be step 8 of "kaitsdad" incredibly detailed set of procedures -- better than that stupid factory service manual --

When I get back to the shop -- I'll continue my quest -- but now it's 95 in the shade (I know, I should go off to mambi-pambi land)

(and I believe it was 1.21 Gigawatts -- and it's a good thing my R75/5 doesn't have all this plastic -- otherwise I wouldn't be on the road)

Ah, and next week?

Change the spark plugs (where ever the heck they are)

Sidejack

Thanks gang -- the key seems to be step 8 of "kaitsdad" incredibly detailed set of procedures -- better than that stupid factory service manual --When I get back to the shop -- I'll continue my quest -- but now it's 95 in the shade (I know, I should go off to mambi-pambi land)

(and I believe it was 1.21 Gigawatts -- and it's a good thing my R75/5 doesn't have all this plastic -- otherwise I wouldn't be on the road)

Ah, and next week?

Change the spark plugs (where ever the heck they are)

Sidejack
Spark plugs are here:

mini-pm34.JPG