Removal of Saddle Bags

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pablo

Reaction score
I just purchased my machine. It's a 2008. While browsing through the manual, I found no instructions for removing the bag. Although, I have a pretty good idea just by looking them over; I'm hesitant. Would some fellow member be so kind to tell me how to remove my saddle bags from my brand new 2008 Yamaha FJR1300A?

Last edited by a moderator:
I just purchased my machine. It's a 2008. While browsing through the manual, I found no instructions for removing the bag. Although, I have a pretty good idea just by looking them over; I'm hesitant. Would some fellow member be so kind to tell me how to remove my saddle bags from my brand new 2008 Yamaha FJR1300A?
Put in the key, turn it, lift up the handle, lift off the bag. When you put it back on make sure the slot on the bottom fits into it's mate on the bike.

Unlock 'em and pull up on the handle. Not the u shaped deal the flat one. Funny I had the same problem three years ago ;)

:jester:

Insert key into keyhole. Turn key 1/4 turn. Ride down a really bumpy road for about 50 miles.

They will be removed for you!!!!

Or, after turning the key, you could pull up on the handle and lift bag off the FJR. But that's the boring wussy way.

Insert key into keyhole. Turn key 1/4 turn. Ride down a really bumpy road for about 50 miles, tip over an....
They will be removed for you!!!!

Or, after turning the key, you could pull up on the handle and lift bag off the FJR. But that's the boring wussy way.
You forgot part of it mang.

Make damn sure that you ask the dealer you purchased it from if the torx nut holding in the locking mechanism has been fully tightened on the bags. Had my new '06 only two days when after a ride I noticed that the entire lock was missing from the saddle bag! :angry2: Glad it was empty! :rolleyes: Took the bike back to the dealer and they replaced it for me, no charge, and tightened the opposite one, was loose too.

I had the same experience with mine. Nothing in the manual and the instructions are locked in the bags. Also, if your lock was like mine, it was hard to open up the first time. So, I was reluctant to just pull hard on it. Plus, the dealership had that mentality for the glove compartment box and I don't need to tell you that I'm now still waiting on a back ordered lid. Also, years ago, I bought a new Corvette with a hardtop. I couldn't get that top off easily so I just applied more pressure. There's one place in the rear that is bolted on from the factory, the dealer is to remove and then you never use it again. I don't have to tell you the result of that as teh dealer forgot. While usually you get by with applying more pressure, asking is a good alternative. That's true even if the answer is easy as this one was.

You forgot part of it mang.

Make damn sure that you ask the dealer you purchased it from if the torx nut holding in the locking mechanism has been fully tightened on the bags. Had my new '06 only two days when after a ride I noticed that the entire lock was missing from the saddle bag! :angry2: Glad it was empty! :rolleyes: Took the bike back to the dealer and they replaced it for me, no charge, and tightened the opposite one, was loose too.
Common knowledge to those of us who have been around here a while is the use of loctite. Just tightening those security torx screw will not assure them not backing out, which could lead to (and actually has) to loss of the sidebag.

Sidebag asssembly instructions provided TO the dealer specify they use blue loctite on that Torx screw. Many dealers skip this step and don't apply the loctite. If they don't, it's just a matter of time before that screw backs out, and the lock falls out. Many of us around here have purchased the T-10 securtiy bit from an Autozone or equivalent, and applied the loctite ourselves just to be sure.

This has been discussed around here a lot. A search will return a plethora of information. It's also under the 'New Owners Read This' section of the forum.

Unlock 'em and pull up on the handle. Not the u shaped deal the flat one. Funny I had the same problem three years ago ;)
Hmmmmm...mine must be "backwards". Once I unlock the assembly with a key, the FLAT one opens the lid, the "U-SHAPED" one unlocks the sidecase from the bike so it can be lifted off and carried like a suitcase.
NOTE: When reinstalling the panniers (sidecases) be sure to lock the "u-shaped" handle down and MAKE SURE the cases are secure. Sometimes the lock handle can be "close" and lock with the lock, but the mechanism isn't fully engaged and the case can come off.