Removing the rear axle

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oilyslick

Reaction score
I'm trying to remove the rear axle and it won't budge. Can I tap it out with a mallet (after removing the nut and loosening the pinch bolt of course) or am I going to need a 14mm allen wrench? My apologies if this has been posted already but I couldn't find it (FNG). Thanks for any help you can give me.

Use the back end of a 5/8 spark plug wrench. Put an extension bar in through the socket end to put a ratchet handle on it.

I just tap it as far as I can with a rubber mallet, then use a 6" long, 3/8 drive extension to drive it through until it can be pulled out by hand.

Mine was extremely difficult to remove the first time; had an allen wrench on one end, still had to tap it out from the opposite end....here was the problem:

BAD corrosion. :angry2:
splines1.jpg

Here's what the inside of the wheel looked like:

DSC00597.jpg

For the record, I never had the bike in high water, never pressure washed, etc. In fact my '82 Suz GS1100 axle looks better than the FJRs the first time. Got it all cleaned up, (bench grinder wire wheel on the axle, 12 ga. shotgun brush for the other) re-lubed splines, all was better. B)

First of all lift up on the wheel to reduce the drag on the sliding axle. Next, place a piece of wood against the axle end and tap the wood and axle with a hammer, etc. When the hex bit end of the axle is exposed grab it with some channel locks and pull it through the hub and swingarm. You can put a cloth rag, etc. between the axle and channel locks to protect the axle from scratches, etc.

Lube the axle with grease before reinstalling. I use the hex bit tool in the FJR tool kit and rotate the axle a bit as I reinstall it. Using this tool also ensures that the axle doesn't turn as you tighten the axle nut. I don't have a 14mm hex bit socket so I go to the tool kit.

Use a 6-point socket to tighten the axle nut. While a 12-point socket works fine, it tends to leave some ugly bite marks on the nut. Maybe you can put a shop towel between the nut and socket to reduce the marking. You can use a 1-1/16" socket if you don't have a 27mm. They are essentially identical.

Mine was extremely difficult to remove the first time; had an allen wrench on one end, still had to tap it out from the opposite end....here was the problem:
BAD corrosion. :angry2:
splines1.jpg

Here's what the inside of the wheel looked like:

DSC00597.jpg
That has to be the worst corrosion pictures of the rear axle I've ever seen. :eek: :angry2: