Removing the windscreen from an '06

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BubbaZ-Isaac

Reaction score
I just can't see how to remove it.

I Searched high and low and didn't find a thread that helped.

A simple 1,2,3 would be very much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Select proper size fix-all.

2. Stand back and take aim.

3. Cock arm back, and hurl fix-all forward at max velocity.

Note: Proper follow through ensures complete removal. ;)

:D

Sorry, I couldn't let that one go, but someone will be along shortly to assist...

" There are two small allen heads on the bottom of the "W"" [thanks to kaitsdad ]The rest simply to remove the now exposed bolts. Piece o' cake.

Ghost
I've taken a quick look at mine and wondered as well - are you talking about on the outside of the windshield, or the inside?

Also, is there a secret to making the windshield stay in the up position other than leaving the key turned on? For the life of me I don't understand why Yamaha thinks the windshield should go down every time the key is turned off (fortunately for me, I ride with it down 99% of the time anyway). But I have to put it up and leave the key on every time I clean the bike (which is after every ride) to get behind it.

The screws are on the vey bottom of the "W" slightly on the inside. Use a flashlight to make it easier. I missed 'em too the first time I looked.

Check out fjr tech to disable the windshield retract feature.

Ghost

I just see how to remove it.I Searched high and low and didn't find a thread that helped.

At the bottom and under the "W" is two small allens. Remove those then slide the "W" upwards towards the top of the windshield then lift it off. That will expose 7 plastic phillip head screws that hold the windshield to the mount.

Tony

bubba,

i am SO glad you asked that. my new cal sci shield will be here in the next coupla days, and you prolly saved me a BUNCH of frustration.

this forum just rocks. almost as much as sunshine in the northwest. i am loggin some miles now. finally. but i gotta say, with a gravel drive and a funky carport, how can such a blissfully sweet handling machine on the road be such a top-heavy, nasty-arsed wench to tiptoe around in the driveway. my 700+ pound valkyrie was CAKE compared to this one...

that said, i just LOVE this bike. it DOES seem to have the softest surface finishes ever, though. the shield and the paint are SO delicate. makes me appreciate how tough all my honda finishes have been over the years. but i'm not going back. this thing soars...

shu

I just see how to remove it.

At the bottom and under the "W" is two small allens. Remove those then slide the "W" upwards towards the top of the windshield then lift it off. That will expose 7 plastic phillip head screws that hold the windshield to the mount.

Tony
Also mine had a little bead of clear silly cone at the bottom and under the W so even with the bolts out it might still be hard to push up without breaking the bead loose

Thank you both for the help.

I found the allen heads screws and now the new CalSci tall I just received is installed.

First impressions are good. I'm 6-0 and I can see over it just fine at low position, and it totally covers at high. I'll try it out in the next few days.

I just see how to remove it.

Tony
Also mine had a little bead of clear silly cone at the bottom and under the W so even with the bolts out it might still be hard to push up without breaking the bead loose
The dealer must have put the silicone there as we have to install the windscreen in the setup process.

Tony

Thank you both for the help.I found the allen heads screws and now the new CalSci tall I just received is installed.

First impressions are good. I'm 6-0 and I can see over it just fine at low position, and it totally covers at high. I'll try it out in the next few days.

Maybe you can help me out here. I'm 6'3" and am waiting for the X-Tall version (+4.5"). If you are 6'0", can you tell me with the windshield all the way up if I would be able to see over the Tall version that you have? Basically, where does it come to on you in the full up position. Also, could you tell me your inseam length?

Thanks for your assistance!

Last edited:
Hi,

I can't say at the moment for 100% cause I can't go and check but I doubt you could see over it at full up. I think it's more than 3" above my line of sight.

My inseam is about 31/32".

I hope you're not going to ask for a date next. :D

I found the allen heads screws and now the new CalSci tall I just received is installed.

Maybe you can help me out here. I'm 6'3" and am waiting for the X-Tall version (+4.5"). If you are 6'0", can you tell me with the windshield all the way up if I would be able to see over the Tall version that you have? Basically, where does it come to on you in the full up position. Also, could you tell me your inseam length?

Also, is there a secret to making the windshield stay in the up position other than leaving the key turned on? For the life of me I don't understand why Yamaha thinks the windshield should go down every time the key is turned off
I've heard that in the up position and while parked, the sun can cause a magnifying glass effect and melt the dash. Perhaps Mamma Yamma is trying to avoid this situation? Also, I don't mind the auto retract since I want it down when I'm zooming around town. Few of us ride freeway speeds, immediately park, and then resume freeway speeds, which is the only scenario I can see needing to disable it.

I'm 6'3" as well and installed the CeeBailey +6 last night and can see over it in a straight line...might have preferred the +4 but will live with the one that's paid for...

I'm 6'3" as well and installed the CeeBailey +6 last night and can see over it in a straight line...might have preferred the +4 but will live with the one that's paid for...

Thanks for the input. I think I'm going to hold out until beginning of next week for the Cal-Sci X-Tall. I've got a trip in 2 weeks so my time is running out. I contemplated the Cee Bailey as well. If you don't mind, let me know your thoughts on it.

I think someone tried to steal my windshield once as the plastic screws are stripped. Funny fuker needs his salad tossed.

I don't know if this helps. I'm 6'2" with a 34" inseam. I just put on the tall version of the Cal Sci. With the screen all the way down, the airflow is perfect around my helmet. Halfway up or so, it's dead quiet at speed with some buffetting on the top of my helmet. All the way up generates more buffetting than I like. With the stock screen, i could put the airflow on my upper chest/shoulders. Can't do that with the tall Cal Sci.

I don't know if this helps. I'm 6'2" with a 34" inseam. I just put on the tall version of the Cal Sci. With the screen all the way down, the airflow is perfect around my helmet. Halfway up or so, it's dead quiet at speed with some buffetting on the top of my helmet. All the way up generates more buffetting than I like. With the stock screen, i could put the airflow on my upper chest/shoulders. Can't do that with the tall Cal Sci.

Yes, this does help! I have been thinking the Tall might work for me, I just wanted a little more insurance with the X-Tall. If Mark doesn't get the XT available in the next few days, I think I'll try the Tall and hope it works for me. I can't go on this trip with the stock shield. Well, I don't WANT to go on my trip with the stock shield.

I do wander why you are getting more buffeting with the shield all the way up. That sounds kind of strange to me. Also, do you have much wind hitting your arms with the Tall version?

Thanks again!

Thanks for the input. I think I'm going to hold out until beginning of next week for the Cal-Sci X-Tall. I've got a trip in 2 weeks so my time is running out. I contemplated the Cee Bailey as well. If you don't mind, let me know your thoughts on it.
Took a nice long ride this past weekend...the CeeBailey +6 at its highest point provides a calm and quiet albeit much warmer environment, as you get no air movement with the shield in the upper position...the quality of the CeeBailey is much higher than the stock windshield...at the lowest level, the shield is just a little to tall...only air felt was in the neck and shoulder areas...probably should have gone with a +4 but was convinced by a fella named Tom at CeeBailey that a +6 was the way to go for my height...with the 100+ temps we have had here in West Texas lately may drive me to reinstalling the stock shield just to get some more air...

Latest posts