Rented an 05 today - need advice on second gen

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbh

Reaction score
I have always lusted over the FJR so a place local to me rents an 05. They also rent all the competition.

I used to have a 99 RT1100 and now own a Vstrom 650. The RT airflow was smooth but I did not like the engine and it blocked too much air for the summer. The strom is the opposite, much nicer in the summer but the airlow management sucks, I have tried several shields and the madstad mount.

Anyways the 05 FJR I rented was all stock. The engine is utterly amazing, so much power and smooth power delivery - I love it. I drove it 265 miles on my little "test ride". The weight of the bike is perfect as it the seat height. The bike is very planted on the road, unlike my Strom in crosswinds. It was sunny and 70 today so the heat issue was not a problem but I did notice the engine puts out quite a bit and the frame was very hot. This bike had 37,000 miles and ran perfectly.

Here are the things I did not like about this model.

The windshield was not good. Full down and no buffeting but major noise (I was using custom molded ear plugs). As the shield goes up the buffeting starts (shaking of the helmet, blurred vision, anyone with a Vstrom knows what I am talking about). At full up the noise got better but buffeting was still there pretty good, fairly uncomfortable. By the way I am 5'11'', 32 inch inseam.

The riding position is more sport that I am used to with my previous bikes. I really did not have a problem too much but a little neck discomfort.

I could see the heat as being a problem above 90 degrees.

Luckily it seems that the 2006 model address all three of these items with a new shield and raising device, adjustable bars, and heat management. I feel confident the heat was fixed based on previous posts and the handlebars could be adjusted more with risers if I needed it. But........

How is that new shield design? Has anyone owned both generations and could give input to the new design. The wind noise with earplugs was really too much for long distance riding with the shield in any positon. I want to know if I can get rid of the head buffeting and some of the noise as well. I know everyone is different in this regard but I have really tried with the strom to fix it and I can't, I really feel like the FJR has a better airflow system so it has potential. I just don't want to buy another bike with major buffeting and can't fix it.

On the plus side I really liked the amount of wind the bike takes off the riders body, not too much for the summer but enough for our winters here in Texas.

I guess what I really need to do is test an 06 or newer but I don't know anyone who does that around here in Fort Worth.

If someone could give me some input on the differences in the 1st and 2nd generation bikes it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
1st, I haven't owned both generations, but I know owners who have.

1.) All of them sing the praises about the new fairing design taking care of the wind management/heat issues that plague the OldGen.

2.) The windshield issues are easily solved by an aftermarket 'shield, if you need it. Since you posted your dimensions, suresly someone here with the same relative seat-to-helmet measurement can help. (As opposed to those of us who are taller and ride OldGen bikes...yikes!)

3.) The riding position is slightly different on the NewGen, and the seat height is adjustable. Some of the issue you relate are muscle memory related, so time in the saddle would likely have your body adjust. If not, handlebar risers are available.

jbh

I also have a 650 vstrom and bought an 07 fjr as my second bike keeping the vstrom. The heat issue is not really that much of a problem on the 07 and this summer in Louisville I got a chance to really test it making multiple rides at near 100 degrees. I just had to have the windscreen in the full down position to have the wind push the heat down off my chest. Of course a 1300cc bike compared to the 650 is going to generate alot more heat so you cannot really compare the 2 bikes.

As you mentioned the vstrom is pretty bad with head buffeting and the wind noise is much greater on the fjr than my strom (I ride with the stock screen in the lowest setting). I am 6'2" so not much different from yourself. So here is what I experience on the two bikes. Head buffeting alway there on the vstrom at speeds above 55-60 or so. Below those speeds I don't seem to notice. Wind noise is not bad on the strom and I did not wear ear plugs for the three years that I rode it as my only bike. On the fjr with the screen in the lowest position my head is in clear air and get no buffeting but can use ear plugs and I don't notice the noise any more, and I am using the cheap foam plugs. With the screen in the highest position I have some buffeting (not as bad as the strom) but the noise level drops a great deal.

I love my vstrom and when I first got the fjr I thought that it was uncomfortable compared to the vstrom. That lasted for one week. Once I got broken in on the fjr it is comfortable. I thought I would add risers to the bars but now will not.

There are alot of discussions on this forum on windscreens and that is such a personal opinion that no one will be able to tell you what works for you but they will be able to share with you what they have done and what they like. I would think that with custom hearing protection you would not have a noise issue on an 06-07-08. I noticed the other day using my Garmin 550 mp3 player and Etymotic Research ER6i earbuds I barely heard anything (could not hear the engine) and turned the volume down to somewhere around 30%.

So, bottom line, switching from the vstrom to the fjr I think you will like the new ride. On a hot day I DO notice the heat but it is all below my knees and you will have more hot days in TX than we do in KY/IN, but I don't think that would stop me from having my fjr if I lived in TX.

Good Luck

If you sell the vstrom I know someone in San Antonio that might be interested. He is looking to add that bike to his garage after riding mine for the past 3 years when he visits.

1st, I haven't owned both generations, but I know owners who have.
1.) All of them sing the praises about the new fairing design taking care of the wind management/heat issues that plague the OldGen.

2.) The windshield issues are easily solved by an aftermarket 'shield, if you need it. Since you posted your dimensions, suresly someone here with the same relative seat-to-helmet measurement can help. (As opposed to those of us who are taller and ride OldGen bikes...yikes!)

3.) The riding position is slightly different on the NewGen, and the seat height is adjustable. Some of the issue you relate are muscle memory related, so time in the saddle would likely have your body adjust. If not, handlebar risers are available.
I've owned both an 04 and an 06...gunny!

With the prices I've seen on used 06's and 07's, I'd just go for the newer GenII. Keep an eye on the classified section.

Where did you find a place that rents FRJ's?

Please advise of specifics as I have a friend that would like an extended evaluation ride on an FJR and he can't pry my butt off of my '06.

I owned an 03 and now an 07. The heat issue has been put to rest on the Gen ll, as far as I'm concerned.

Regards to noise and helmet buffeting, If you go with the 06-07 you can do 2 things. Cut 18 inches off the stocker for summer riding. This gi ves you alot of airflow to your chest and its very smooth flow so you have no buffeting and no noise, especially if you wear plugs.

Second, buy an aftermarket s screen when the temps fall below 70. Make sure you get one that is 4 inches taller than stock. The brand doesn't make as much difference has the height. I'm 6'2' and have a Cal Sci +4, but Cee Baileys, V-Stream, Rifle etc... should all work just fine. Again wear your plugs and you should have a nice quiet, still, pocket of air behind these screens. If you were over 6'2" I would go with a + 6 screen.

Glenn

What a fantastic way to do an evaluation of a bike that you are interested in possibly buying. Props to you for thinking of it... and also finding someone that would rent you the bike.

As to the shortcomings of the first gen, you are spot on. Aftermarket doo-dads are available to find 1st gen nirvana, but sorting through the shit from the shinola can get mighty 'spensive. The problems requiring fixing are somewhat different between first and 2nd gen, so it depends somewhat on what you are most sensitive to.

I live in New England and have had my 1st gen Feejer for only a tad over 1 year. I do not feel the heat problem except for in the worst heat of summer, which is only about 100F ambient (with high humidity) around here. I've been known to ride in a tee shirt and jeans then. I know, flame me...

If you are running the desert on a regular basis, I'd be very concerned with the "heat issue". If not... meh, it's really a non-issue.

Air management on the helmet is a much trickier thing. The best thing in that regard is no faring at all (if it's warm enough). Both of my other bikes have very minimalist farings. They are both QUIET (sorry for shouting). Any sort of a faring device, or even windshield, will concentrate the air flow upward, toward and near your helmet, and increase the noise in your ears.

Earplugs are a must on any fared ST bike. Period. The only way you can avoid earplugs (and also not have your helmet buffeted around) is to be physically behind the windscreen. This is really uncomfortable to me, and many others. So wear earplugs. The foam ones are fine. I know they are a pain in the a$$ but they do what you need for short money. If you don't want to bother you can join the ranks of us old guys with the ringing ears.

What? :blink:

There are bazillions of choices for aftermarket windshields. Certainly one of those has to be right for you.

My most important advice is, if you can afford to do so, keep your V-strom and ALSO buy an FJR. Why? The FJR is a big bike. It tours well, two up. Covers tons of road per day in exquisite comfort, etc. etc. So, why would you want another bike? Because the FJR is not what anyone would call "flick-able". If you want to go out solo and just rip a few twisties, the Feejer is not my prefered choice. And riding down a dirt road on an FJR is way more adventure than anyone needs.

If I was you, (and I had your money to spend rather than my own) I'd find a nice, used, low mileage, 2nd gen with some of the farkles and add that to your stable of the V-strom. Then you'd have a veritable 1-2 punch in the garage.

I've owned a Gen1 ('05) and now own a GenII ('07). Here's my 2 cents...

You're right about the heat with the GenI's. Temp's over 90 and high humidity levels will make you beg for an ice pack for your crotch, especially riding 2 up. GenII heat is barely noticeable. On my '07 I feel a slight bit of heat on my left chin, but very tolerable. If you live in a cooler climate, a GenI bike would be a big plus.

The lean angle on the bars of the GenI's are easily corrected with bar raisers. GenII's have some adjustment. The raked back position my GenII bars felt perfect to me. I didn't feel the need to buy risers for my GenII, but definitely had them on my Gen1.

Up windscreen position on the GenI was a bit low for me (6'0"). Much better on the GenII's. But again, after-market screens can be had in all shapes and sizes.

GenI's rev a bit higher (at any given speed/gear), than the GenII's (a few hundred rpm).

Handling characteristics are the same between generations, although the GenII's have a slightly longer wheelbase.

I liked the larger turn signal lights and the speed/tack better on my Gen1. IMO the Gen2 speed-o/tack looks a bit "Star War'ish, but it tends to grow on ya.

A few more bells and whistles on the GenII; adjustable seat, MPG indicator, etc.

Adding a Top Box mount to the GenII is an existing simple 3 bolt task. Adding a Top Box mount to the Gen1 means drilling a hole in your pretty plastic tail piece.

So there you have it. Go forth grasshopper and buy something. :lol:

These are great responses. It sound like there are some differences in gen 1 and 2 bikes. Did anyone have the buffeting I described on a gen 1 bike but found it was better with a gen 2 bike? I know I can get a different shield but a good starting platform helps out. My RT1100 was smooth but it had a cee bailey shield on it with a curve on top when I purchased it used. I definately plan to get a gen 2 bike because I want ABS and like the fact the heat issue has been resolved.

Where did you find a place that rents FRJ's? Please advise of specifics as I have a friend that would like an extended evaluation ride on an FJR and he can't pry my butt off of my '06.
The place that rents the FJR and lots of other cool bikes it https://www.sportryderrentals.com/ They only have this one location in the Dallas Fort Worth area.

If you sell the vstrom I know someone in San Antonio that might be interested. He is looking to add that bike to his garage after riding mine for the past 3 years when he visits.
I will sell the Strom if I get an FJR. It is farkled up good, heated grips, powerlet, real cruise control - not throttle lock, all hooked up to an ignition switched blue sea fuse box with expansion. Plus givi side bags, top box, pat walsh crash bars/skid plate combo with highway pegs. Oh and also three different screens and the madstad bracket, in the cool 2005 blue color.

If he has an interest I can give him some more info, San Antonio is only 4.5 hours away from me.

I've had an 05 and have an 06.

As everyone else has said - Yamaha has really stepped up to keep the FJR current and the "Best of the Sport Tourers"

Heat is no longer an issue.

The suspension on the Gen 2 bikes has been improved over Gen 1 [ still needs improvement for some riders, so far, at 24,000 mi. its fine for me ]

I've had aftermarket windshields on both bikes so that's a wash for me. [ I'm 5'11" and have a CeeBailey 2 +2 which works just fine ]

I also replaced the stock seat with a Russel on both.

The instrumentation on the second gen bikes has much more information than gen 1, but the numerals on the tach and speedo are much to small on gen 2

On my two bikes, at least, the gen 2 is much smoother across the entire rev range.

I loved my 05 [ destroyed in a house fire ], but I REALLY LOVE my 06

I currently own an '05. I've farkled away the shortcomings, though it did cost $$$. The GenII should address these issues for you. Go for it, you won't regret it.

I could write a long response highlighting the many reasons to take the plunge and buy a 2nd gen but I will cut to the chase and make the guarantee that many select the FJR and few are disappointed. Go for it.

Today I went to the Honda dealership and was able to test drive a new 07 ST1300. I was leary of the weight but once you get it off the side stand its not too bad. The motor is smooth and the ride is very controlled. The shield goes much higher than the 05 FJR I rented. It does have more weather protection than the FJR. Engine does not feel as quick but plenty of power. It definately does not sound or look as cool as the FJR. It looks like a big scooter to me sometimes.

I could start to feel some moderate engine heat (today was 75 and sunny) towards the end of my ride. The ST, I think for me, has too much wind protection where it would be hot during the summer months here in Texas (part of the reason I sold my BMW RT1100).

Now the FJR 05 stock shield was not that good for me but it looks like the 06 has a different shield and people seem to be pretty happy with aftermarket shields. I think the FJR is a perfect compromise of weather protection, somewhere between my Vstrom and the ST1300.

Now I just need to find an 06 (love blue) for sale in Texas or nearby. Hopefully one will pop up soon. If anyone around the DFW area wants to let me test ride their 06 I will take them up on it for sure. You can test ride my 05 Vstrom which will be for sale soon.

I just can't get the FJR out of my mind, maybe I am going out of my mind.

Now I just need to find an 06 (love blue) for sale in Texas or nearby. Hopefully one will pop up soon. If anyone around the DFW area wants to let me test ride their 06 I will take them up on it for sure. You can test ride my 05 Vstrom which will be for sale soon.
I just can't get the FJR out of my mind, maybe I am going out of my mind.
You could fly to AL and ride back Clicky